Thread: Ratings?

In chess, they have a system where each person has a rating, and it changes based on whether you win or lose against other rated players. A beginner is about 1000, the average club player 1600, a Master 2200, Grandmaster ~2400 and up, World Champion ~2800. Instead of the honor system we have now, I think this rating system or something similar to it should be implemented. What do you think?
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Well this has been discussed many times before. I think there may of even been a poll on www.totalwar.com on this. One of the opinions was that it was still easy to manipulate this format as well.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon

I am no hero I just like to hit people in the head. :p
    DP is correct - Shiro

What do you mean by manipulate?
    well-rounded.

Sounds only marginally different to the honour system to me... maybe I misunderstood.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

alastair,

the current system of score keeping, a.k.a. honor, can be, what's the right word here...faked. there's several ways to do it and therefore it's pretty much worthless as a true scoring system, which is why a number of us dont play competitive games any more. there are those that still play with honor and keep honest scores, but there's also a number that dont, so once again it boils down to knowing the folks in the game as to whom you can and do trust.

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

That's why I say we should switch to the chess rating system. It can't be faked.
    well-rounded.

I think the rating should take wins and rating of enemy player AND one other factor into consideration. That would make it broader and harder to reproduce "cheat" victories to inflate one's rating. Take, say, kills into consideration, or kill ratio, combined with whether you won, how many wins you have, and the other player's honor rating, to determine how much your honor goes up. I'm sure there'd be probs with any system, including this one, but it would take more factors into account and therefore be harder to get inflated ratings.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

actually, the word i guess i wanted was circumvented. it's not the rating system that is at fault, alastair; it's how the rating gets there that's at fault.

there's another thread around here somewhere about it and tells how this is done. it's not a hack, but there are at least 2 ways to do it, so no matter what system you use to score with, it can be gotten around in the current game features and thus renders the scoring system itself somewhat null.

K.

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

Koga, the chess rating system doesn't take number of wins into account, nor should it. If a Grandmaster wins against a 1200 player, he gets no rating points. If this system has faults, then why haven't internet chess clubs had lots of problems with it? (other than adjourned games not being finished, which has nothing to do with the rating system)

Kraellin, do you mean that there is a bug in the MP program that sends a win to the server when there wasn't one? Or what?

[This message has been edited by Alastair (edited 07-30-2001).]
    well-rounded.

About the ranking in STW; will the TOP 100 RANKING TABLE be reseted when the expansion comes out?

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it