Thread: reinforcements

Ok - two things on reinforcements i was hoping one of you lovely lot could clear up:

1 - why are my reinforcements coming on automatically fatigued? in a battle (not desert) every reinforcement i brought on was automatically knocked down to 2 stamina bars as soon as they came on - I had moved the reinforcement flag half way across the map, so by the time they got there they would have lost maybe a bar of stamina, but it seemed unfair, especially if they got ambushed on the way to the rally point.

2 - Can you set the order of your reinforcements? In the same battle, my infantry and archer line had seen off the enemy hardcore, and now he was just throwing peasants and missile units at me. my infantry line was just too tired to pursue, leaving them sitting there getting shot at.

as we both had tons of reinforcements (me around 3000, him 5000+) the battle could well go on for ages, unless the cavalry in my reinforcements could come on and clean up his misslemen.... but every time I got a reinforcement, it was another infantry unit, which, as above, was too tired to chase down his skirmishing archers... finally won it with sheer quality of troops (and killing a few hundred prisoners to put his peasants off) but where were my light cav?

Cybernetic Samurai Member TenkiSoratoti's Avatar

Maybe that reflects reality an army has to run to help you by which time there very tired.
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat and then waited for an opportunity to defeat the enemy." - Sun Tzu

what it looked like to me, was that your reinforcements come on at the average fatigue level of your other troops. this is kinda silly when you realize they have neither fought nor even made any movements yet.
    Looking out on the field of battle, seeing the twisted corpses of mine and my enemy's men, i wonder how we ever convinced anyone that war equals glory.

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

Sort of on the same subject, is there any way to stop an opponent bringing on endless hordes of reinforcements? Partic. after the rest of their army is crushed and the general has nipped off for somewhere quieter.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to quit a big key battle 9/10ths in because its after my bedtime and they keep coming and coming and coming....:pissed:

(BTW, its not that I'm a wee kid - I'm just too easily bullied by the other person in the bed. Comments like "Stop playing that stupid game, its 12.30am" terrify even murderous prisoner slaughtering thugs - Genghis never had to put up with this....:pissed: )
    The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

I don't know the answer to why they arrive tired. Wondered the same thing.

But, I know you can order the arrival of reinforcements. You have to keep in mind that the AI will grab the best it can find and all your artillery. If you have a limited number of reinforcing troops (as I did in my test) and the best in your commanding generals force, you can arrange the remainder so that the ones you want to arrive first are in that order in the remaining units.

It IS a pain, tho, to get them as you want them. With a LARGE number, such as you described, I wouldn't even try it. That's because I don't know which stack of reinforcements the AI will choose first to reinforce from. What you might try, tho, is to put the type of units you think you'll want in the fore of each reinforcement stack. Then no matter which stack it takes from you'll get something you wanted.
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Shai, when you say re-arrange the stack, do you mean put the re-inforcement units icons you want first from left to right on the bottom of the screen?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

When you put them in the last one you place is now in the front of the stack, so, you do it in inverse order. Es clar? hehe

Um, YES, left to right is the arrival order..sorry

O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

That's handy info to know, thanks. I usually had to keep withdrawing unwanted re-inforcements till I got what I wanted. You'd think with all the standing around the re-inforcements do, not to mention smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee, they'd be fresh as daisies pass the java man, I'm at the far end of the stack
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

cool - I shall experiment with this a bit. I wonder if the order in which you move stacks into the province effects it? I suppose the best thing to do in the meantime would be to minimise the number of stacks, and make sure they are all sorted in reinforcement order (don't know about anyone else, but once i've got a good load of territory, i tend to pick a small group of provinces as 'builders' so it makes it easier to build and assemble army stacks there, then drag them to where they are needed, rather than dragging individual units back and forth across the map and stacking in a target area)

I really, really, really don´t like reinforcements. ffs

They take ages to arrive ... the AI does a hunderet times better with his reinforcements than me. I never get the reinforcements I would need momentarly ... they are exhausted to a point of unrealism ... I simply hate it I have always lost the battle when my first asset of units can´t deal with the entire enemy army.

I once defeated 10 full waves of Mongols (they had just appeared) ... but when the 10.th wave was defeated my army was in ruins ... I withdrew all units cept the general ... but the mongols were too fast with their cav ... my reinforcements got slaughtered ... end of battle :/ .

Lot of spam about this ... in short terms :

I HATE REINFORCEMENTS AS THEY ARE

PS: I would gladly lead a Crusade to ... whereever if CA would change that $%*'#§?/
    You may not want to abuse the system, but the system is abusing you

Exclamation

Might be too late now, since the topic developed in new direction (hate reinforcements) but fighting in the desert depletes the stamina of non-natives much quicker than fighting in Europe.

but this battle wasn't in desert

So let me get this straight. If you don't get the reniforcement unit you want, you can send him back to the que and bring another one, and keep doing this until you get the unit you want?

In the big battle with the Horde, I was pushed back to the very point of the screen where the reinforcements appeared. They were at the rally point 10 seconds after they entered the field. As soon as they appeared, the stamina dropped 2 bars. So it can't be the march to the rally point tiring them out. I agree, they're all standing around back there waiting for the coach to put them in. They should be at least Fresh, if not Quite Fresh. The Horde reinforcements had to march completely across the screen to get to my army. Now that would tire an army out. They didn't look tired though....

Yes, you can withdraw reinforcements that you don't want to "cycle" to the ones you do want, but the withdrawn forces are gone for good, even if they say less than a second on the battle map.

There needs to be a better way to organize the order of reinforcements.

71-hour Ahmed

bwhahaha Yes, offendi. I smell of cloves.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I can't tell you how many times I've had to quit a big key battle 9/10ths in because its after my bedtime and they keep coming and coming and coming
    I just had this, only I didn't go to bed. 4000 Egyptians versus my 3000 Spaniards. I was getting ready for bed, and decided that "just one more turn" was in order, when the gyppoes came on in force.

Kept coming and coming. I knew they'd be beat, but it took some time. It's actually easier to beat them if they have siege engines, because they can't bring on 16 mobile units.

After we'd killed 2200 and captured 1100 of them they gave up. The clock was on the 3/4 mark. In the summary screen - maximun time was 140 minutes. Nearly 2 1/2 hours I played maybe 1 & 3/4 hours of it. Bloody hell. it's now nearly 04:00... I'm in trouble.

And they wonder why we want an in-battle save option... sheesh...

The ignorant shall be ignored

Quote[/b] (ulyanov @ Dec. 18 2002,11:32)]"just one more turn"
    It sounds like you have a problem, ulyanov. Its ok to turn it off, to save the game...do we need to schedule an intervention? Its 'OK' to ask for help
    God does not play dice.

God imagine if this were a MMorp, I almost lost my marriage to one of those. That one more turn he talks about is a common thing heh. Cept the wife doesnt bitch about this game, just gaming in general. Guess I blew her mind when she asked would I still be gaming at 90, and I said if I was able.

Naagi
    If i pull the arrow out, will you suck out the poison?

He who controls Arrakis.. Member 71-hour Ahmed's Avatar

yesss.. a save option in the middle of big battles..... the boy is making sense

ulyanov -

I don;t carry a concealed weapon, I'm a concealed owner

The scary thing about leaving the Org for a while and then coming back is the exponential growth of "gah!" on your return...

Quote[/b] (Al Qasim Hussein @ Dec. 18 2002,06:25)]It sounds like you have a problem, ulyanov. Its ok to turn it off, to save the game...do we need to schedule an intervention? Its 'OK' to ask for help
    but.. but... what if something happens while I sleep?

no, mummy, the egyptians are naughty. they started it by attacking my ships.

Naagi that's pretty sad. Good to see you come out of it OK, though.

The worst I've done online was my weekly training night with an online WWII fighter squadron, but they turned ghey on me, so I don't do it anymore...