Thread: So much for Henry the Lion

In my HRE game, normal/Early, I produced the general 'Henry the Lion' whom I'm sure several people here have produced mysteriously in the early 1100's. He was a part of a unit of Feudal Sargeants so I counted on him being able to hold his own in a battle.

Until he met the Kataphractoi of 8-star general Comemnus of, naturally enough, the Byzantines.

First off, Henry had incurred some command and morale penalties through lack of fighting as he was in one of my border garrisons along the Byzantine frontier (I believe he was stationed just north of Hungary, just NW of constantinople.) Only a slight reduction, however, so I still felt his abilities (3-star now thanks to being very lazy, etc.) competent to command a force, in defence if nothing else.

Again, that was until he met the Kataphractoi of 8-star general Comemnus of the Byzantines...

------------------------------------------------------------

It was a cold, rainy day that only got colder and wetter as time went by. A dreary fog had rolled in as well, making it difficult for 'the Lion's' catapults to target an enemy soon enough to matter. They Byzantines burst out of the fog like an explosion, shattering a group of xbowmen that couldnt get behind their infantrymen fast enough. Although his feudal infantry held well up and down the line, and more Xbowmen and archers peppered the forces with what ammunition they had that wasn't ruined by the weather, things were going badly. Some Highland Clansmen and Vikings, units with proud traditions stretching back hundreds of years, sprang from some nearby woods to fall upon the backs of the Byzantine warriors, breaking their morale and sending several Urban Militiamen and even some of the fierce, and quite dreaded, Byzantine Infantry...

Henry the Lion bravely assumed his place on the infantry line, replacing a decimated unit of Feudal Sargeants who had fought well and would have their songs sung by the bards for decades come no doubt. Arranging his men about him, he assumed protection of his army's left flank...

The fog must have muffled the hoofbeats...

From out of the mist thundered forty of the pride of General Comemnus' army, Kataphractoi of unprecedented valor. Like a wave they crashed against Henry's men, only to be repulsed again and again but nevertheless inflicting what would prove to be decisive casualties.

Moments after this assault, the enemy rallied and again charged Henry's position en masse. The flat, rolling plains of Eastern Europe allowed no terrain advantage to Henry's weary men, and they braced themselves to meet their foes again man on man. The catapult crewmen, taking their ease near their weapons - now rendered useless by the proximity of the enemy - looked on in horror as the mighty Henry the Lion's sargeants, upon absorbing yet another charge by the Kataphractoi of doom, broke and ran for their lives. The crewmen were overrun and slaughtered to a man. Worse than that, however, was the fact that the line had been penetrated and the Kats were loose behind the infantry

While the Vikings and Clansmen that weren't engaged in another reard assault on the Byz. infantry and Urban Militias who were locked in mortal combat along the Empire's lines rushed to halt the Kats advance, Henry the Lion, Henry the Hapless, Henry the ignoble coward of the Eastern Steppes, hightailed it for the gentler, peaceful provinces of the Western portion of the empire as fast as his booted feet could carry him along with the 12 of his cowardly cohorts who survived.

The day was saved through the noble efforts of the Scottish and Scandanavians, as well as the Feudal Sargeants who refused to give in to their panic over their general's wussitude, and one should not forget the bold Xbowmen and archers who snuck behind the enemy to fire wantonly at friend and foe alike in order to stop the Byzantine thrust, and really let us give thanks to every single unit (even the dear departed catapulteers) who remained on the field of battle to win the day...except, of course, for Henry the Lamb who ran like a little girl despite winning every confrontation he had during the day, and despite the rear assaults that were helping him out, and despite the fact that when he bolted like a rabbit for its hole he had more than twice the # of men his opponents.

Henry sits in a castle in Bavaria now, well away from the borders of the great Holy Roman Empire. Now stripped of the crown of Sicily, plagued by a reputation that includes tales of running from the field screaming like a girl, unable to inspire so much as a wet kleenex to fight for his nation, he sits sucking his thumb and thinking of what might have been...

Alas for poor Henry, the bards sing his tale of woe...
    God does not play dice.

Very nice post, and sorry for your general

Magnificant Post

i love well written battle tales.

if any one deserves being impaled before the congress of lords to serve as a reminder to stay faithful during battle then Henry does.

my wish for add on MTW - Impaler
    Lord Romulous

Secret Vice
    Sick, Bitter and Twisted.

+3 pervisity +4 cursing +7 to chance of wearing purple pants.

u gotta remember its only a random name generated by the comp. Ive had several famous gens but none have been that good i use my heirs as gens.
    the name assigned to a general has no affect on his abbilities.

British Army: be the best

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]u gotta remember its only a random name generated by the comp. Ive had several famous gens but none have been that good i use my heirs as gens.
    the name assigned to a general has no affect on his abbilities.
    im not so sure about that. i seem to remember the devs saying that a famous character stats will generally co incide with his historical abilities. (or the abilities acorded to him by legend anyway)

of course once the character enters the game world he can pick up negative vices like any other general.
    Lord Romulous

Secret Vice
    Sick, Bitter and Twisted.

+3 pervisity +4 cursing +7 to chance of wearing purple pants.

Good war story. I didn't even know that real historical characters made apperances in the game. I guess I should start paying attention to the character names.
    All aboard the crapdragon express

ROFL

Fantastic Story

Didnt you ever read the bit in the Wizard of Oz about the Cowardly Lion?

What does not kill you will only make you stronger

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Ohh good story...

terry, make notice of the early game, there are quite a few historical generals. Like Bohemond de Tankerville, a certain Strongbow of the English, Henry the Lion (fought Barbarossa) and if you happen to get a historical king such as Henry V or Frederick II or the HRE (Barbarossa) they would have the same Vices as they had...
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Do Turkey get any historical people? My two best generals are both called Amir Gazi, which is kind of confusing.

Gazi is the family line for the Seljuks... So those are Royal generals.

All factions get historical characters. The Egyptians get both Salladin (under another name) and Nur-al-Din and some guy 'of Aleppo', can't remember his first name.
    Since I have only played one campaign with the Turks and I don't know their good generals of history very well I can't tell you which generals are historical or not. But generally a general that comes with a good Virtue such as Fine Leader or Skilled Defender, they are normally historical figures.

There are also more mythical figures, such as Robin Hood an Egnlish rebel (who becomes Robin of Locksley if you bribe him, very nice&#33 and Guy of Gisbourne the first English Assasin he is Rank 5. The English also get Thomas Becket a good Bishop at rank 3.

Talking

wussitude

I like that, I'm going to have to use it
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Senior Member Senior Member Jxrc's Avatar

Henry the Lion is indeed an historical character. If I am not mistaken he lived in the XIIth Century and was one of the major Frederick Barbarossa's internal foe (please do not trust me on that ...). He appears in every game as a four star general (same as Tancred of Normandy or Lord Fitzgilbert for the British), which is indeed very good for a German general (no offence meant but German general are really bad in MTW) ...

In the game, it's nevertheless true that he always end up with a bad vice such as alcoholic, lazy, etc.

One useful thing would be to monitor those historical general in order to make sure that they do not come associated with a silly urban militia unit, militia sergeant, etc... If any one has done so please feel free to share that knowledge of yours with me ...

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that this kind of historical general never appears when you create spearmen, archers, peasants or crossbowmen (even though some very good rebel general may be associated with such units). I find it a pain in the neck when a good general is not associated with a cavalry unit since it means that your first mass rout may be lethal ...

There is less of a chance for them to become Peasants and other weak troops, you can see this in the unit_prod file thee is a bit of text saying DISCOURAGED and that is towards getting good generals. The reason for this that people complained a lot when they had their heirs appear in Ashigaru units in STW.

A Feudal Sergeant is a well able unit for a good general, but I prefer a stronger attacker such as FMAA, though I hate to have Gallowglass/Ghazigenerals, they die too easy.

Thanks for the praise all...

Some of these replies have brought up something I didn't know about. Frederick Barbarossa is in the game? Will I eventually build him? Didn't he Crusade around 1200, I think the 3rd Crusade? At any rate, I haven't noticed him as a general yet, nor as an heir, although I have an heir named Frederich who was just born that I was going to PRETEND was Freddy B....
    God does not play dice.