Thread: His Grace has fallen!

Question

How often do you scan the map searching for titles that were vacated by casualties in battle? You know, the Voivode of Moldavia gets struck down but is not commanding. His title goes home but you get no notification. If you don’t catch it, Moldavia goes leaderless. Not good.

It would be great if the game would notify us when any title bearing person is killed or captured. During and/or after the battle would be fine with my preference being during the fight itself. Maybe in the expansion…

Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

That can be a problem, especially in small provinces with a lot of game pieces on the map to cover it up. I usually place my governor in the castle, all by his lonesome. Then check on him once in awhile to see if any bad v&v might convince me to replace him.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I also keep my governors in the castle for the same reasons as Hosakawa Tito. I have found it to be a problem if the province is attacked, because I choose my governers for acumen, not stars, so they are indistinguishable on the battle screen. I have found titles just lying there in crowded provinces and the discovery process was usually accidental. This is exacerbated by the computer sliding all units to one spot, even in the largest provinces.
    Notification of dead governers and other titles would be a valuable addition to Patch II.

I usually notice the title lying there immediately ( I must be tidy ), but I agree that the notification feature would be a valuable addition for the next patch.
    - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

It can certainly be a pain, and I have overlooked my fair share of titles.
    But I almost never leave govenors at home, unless they are wastly outclassed by newer types of troops. I simply love to see an army full of Lords or Amirs, it brings a sort of historical value to it.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Yeah, notification would be nice.

(No, I'm not just posting this to get promoted to knight, I swear&#33

-Musashi
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

Yeah, a nice little note with perhaps the body of your fallen Duke printed happily on it.

I have often left regions ungoverned, and most recently this led to a rebellion in one of my centerl provinces, one of the many factors of my eventual downfall. Needless to say I was anoyed.

This is a very sensible and practical suggestion I would love to see it in an expansion.
    'Odi et ammo, excrucior' - I love and I hate, it hurts.

'Excretus est ex altitudine' - Shat upon from a great hight.

Every few turns I right click on a province and cycle through my provinces looking at the loyalty and looking for a "Governor: None".
    There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I try to keep my governors in or nearby their provinces, because I think doing otherwise sometimes triggers the Absentee Landlord vice (-20% Happiness, -30% Agriculture).
    Sire de Coucy

I usually leave my governors in their provence. Otherwise the provence isn't effected by their dread rating, and we all know how we need all the help we can get stopping rebellions. Also Governors that go to battle don't usually have long lives, so all of those good virtues they developed go down the drain, and you end up having to start over with a green Governer. Also a big secret to developing good virtues in your Governors is to keep the taxes as low as possible. The keeps them from getting corrupted by too much money. It's not 100% effective, but I promise you'll see a difference.
    I see stupid people....walking around like regular people....they don't even know they're stupid.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

i tend to notice more if my empire is smaller, but as it gets bigger i routinly check after every battle
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Negative all stats work regardless of range to province...

But it is true that high taxes will eventually cause a rotten governor.

Kraxis, are you sure that dread works when the governer is away? I swear I've read a couple of times that it didn't. I guess I'll go home and test it.
    I see stupid people....walking around like regular people....they don't even know they're stupid.

I also use to keep the gov' in his castle, but sometimes you don't have much choiceand the only leader with reasonable acumen is a 6-star general. Then i tend to use him on the battlefield as well. But as I usually keep them in the castle I often don't notice if he has fallen. So some kind of notice would indeed be nice

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

I usually try to assign the titles to my main money making provences to important generals- they often have acumen increasing virtues and they are less likely to die in battle.

Its cos of this that I like to give titles to small tiny units, and stick them out of combat. They pick up a few bad vices for being lazy I guess, but its so *easy* to maintain them.
    ~LordKhaine~

I agree that this should be adressed in a patch as well. Right now we have the option of letting the computer auto assign titles. This I do not like that much since my computer even gives peasants a title and in my opinion, knights are the only title bearers. So, I would like to see that the computer calculates which unit gets the title based on v&v.

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

Which V&V would you have affect it? I'm curious.

Negative I'm very certain as Gil came by and said that the governors work even in faraway lands, there is no penalty to taking him to battle (you might lose him though, I wish Lords and Amirs had 4 lives).

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (deejayvee @ Dec. 16 2002,18:45)]Every few turns I right click on a province and cycle through my provinces looking at the loyalty and looking for a "Governor: None".
    Agree with the above Govenor: NONE

What more do you need? Completing a battle w/o checking your province is...ahhh...."Player Error"

It would be a nice "atmospheric" addition, while in the midst of battle to have a voice notice: "My Lord, Lord Such and Such has fallen in battle". Very cool, a visual notice would also have to be included. I'd like this.

But, after the battle has concluded and your snapped back to the Campaign Map---NO NOTICE s/b given Its the Player's/Faction King's responsibility to monitor his empire. Not doing so effectively SHOULD have negative consequences, as the game is designed.

YES, the "clutter" needs to be cleaned up, but "clutter" isn't the main factor in noticing that your govenor has bought the dust and his title is unheld.

You should notice the lack of a govenor when you check your province parchment, you should notice the fall in income, you may also notice other negative effects from the loss of the govenor's, influence and positive or negative V&V. If you don't, your just not paying attention and SHOULD pay the penalty.

YEAH, its a pain to check EVERY province before each End Turn, BUT to NOT check the province(s) you have just battled over is simply gross neglect, penalty issued

This is War pay attention
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

as ruler of my empire, i command one of my peons to notify me when one of my nobles pass on.
    Looking out on the field of battle, seeing the twisted corpses of mine and my enemy's men, i wonder how we ever convinced anyone that war equals glory.

Exactly, MizuKokami.

Certainly, among the reports given to any sovereign after a battle would be a list of those notables who fell, ESPECIALLY any men important enough to hold regions as large as those in the game. A ruler would not need to ask about the health of each and every significant vassal.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

A ruler of a large empire would not be notified of the fall of an important vassal until QUITE some time after the battle, communications being what they were.

Unless the King was actually at the battle, he would not have IMMEDIATE notification.

Though, the fall of an important vassal WOULD have immediate ramifications, the King couldn't do anything about it immediately.

Correct?

I generally send the "Lords" off to fight. If you check your stacks after a battle and the number of parchments ain't what it was...you got a problem. I still miss some but if I feel real lazy I just click "auto-assign" on for a turn
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ToranagaSama @ Dec. 18 2002,19:17)]A ruler of a large empire would not be notified of the fall of an important vassal until QUITE some time after the battle, communications being what they were.

Unless the King was actually at the battle, he would not have IMMEDIATE notification.

Though, the fall of an important vassal WOULD have immediate ramifications, the King couldn't do anything about it immediately.

Correct?
    Remember , each turn is an entire year , and messengers generally travel lightly on fast horses {you can go an awful long ways in 12 months if you travel light} .

These arn't minor nobles in question , they're the movers and shakers whom are each but one step {or two if you count the immediate heirs} from their factions' throne . If the Earl of Wessex kicks the bucket , that's big news and it would not be long before messengers were dispatched forthwith to the King of England . A parchment saying "the Earl of Wessex just bought the farm" would be realistic in the contexts of this game . An impatient player might miss it by madly clicking all those "finnished contstruction" parchments {and clicks the seal of an important message before he can read it - done that a few times myself } which would nicely stand in for those kings who were top preocupied with other things to pay propper attention to some matters of state {like Richard the Lionheart too busy crusading to give a monkey about much else} .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Point noted and a good one

But do we truly need more PARCHMENTS to click awayyy??

Still think its fine the way it is and you know the point you make re "impatient" players possibly still missing the parchment applys just the same to the game as is. The impatient and inattentive simply just miss it.

I stand firm,

GOVENOR: NONE

I don't think we're talking about the impatient/inattentive, but the LAZY.

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

Well..I think the death of Nobles should be noted in the battle report you get after the enemy routs off the field. If you Auto-calced, their names and former provinces should be included in the Victory/loss screen along with the other casualties. It just makes sense to me. 0o;
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

At the tally screen it could be noted which nobles had died.

We have suffered these losses to our nobility:

Lord This
    Lord That