Thread: When will this game be finished?

Default When will this game be finished?

Medieval 2 is now 10 years old! and this mod is still far from finished! I fucking love EB! i played it for 5 years of my life! But come on, enough is enough now, the way things are going half the mod team will be dead by the time the games actually finished! They will be handing it over to their kids to finish!!!! Please please please finish this game i beg you for fuck sake! i want to play it, i will donate some money to show my appreciation, i wont touch this until its finished! People are growing old and not bothering with games! the fan base is going to be gone by the time its finished! Please finish it pleaseee! (look how badly im begging!)
    From Olaf the Great

"Fight for your country -- that is the best, the only omen! ..." - Hector

Default Re: When will this game be finished?

Oh, we were going to release a new big update today. Dozens of units, new factions, revamped mechanics... But since you really want the game to be completely finished first, we'll focus on that instead. Thanks for your input. See you in a few years!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

The game will be finished when we're ready, with a final product up to the standards we aspire to. There's a major release coming this season, but we have no plans to complete any time soon. The only way that would happen is if we had a sudden influx of reliable modelling talent (2D and 3D) which would allow us to finish off the unit roster. We're about 50% of the way through the planned units, we still have two more factions to implement, along with lots of other associated tasks.

If you really want to be helpful, you can do one of two things. Firstly and most usefully, learn how to make units or textures. Secondly, failing the first, play the mod and help us find errors and fine tune the play experience.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Okidoki, i shall play the mod and help with errors. Can you send me a link so i can donate? Thats also the least i can do to say thank you for all the hard work!

Edit: I will always be a fan of EB over any other mod and even the vanilla game, but i am one impatient bastard! I dont denay you guys are working hard! I just want it NOW! arrrrrgggggg :DDD

Send me link to donate. Tara
    Last edited by lionhard; 10-01-2015 at 18:13.
    From Olaf the Great

Hows the mod run best on CD or through steam? Just my CD got lost so il buy new if its going to work better on from CD format? If someone could get back to me on that cheers
    From Olaf the Great

Quote Originally Posted by lionhard View Post
    Hows the mod run best on CD or through steam? Just my CD got lost so il buy new if its going to work better on from CD format? If someone could get back to me on that cheers
    Better on CD by a long way, there are many issues that relate to the Steam installation.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Better on CD by a long way, there are many issues that relate to the Steam installation.

cheers love
    From Olaf the Great

Medieval 2 gold edition has just arrived, so ill install the game tonight! Looking forward to it now actualy.

My only issue is .. as im installing the game off the disc, its activating and installing via steam ... will that work ok with EB2?
    Last edited by lionhard; 10-04-2015 at 18:55.
    From Olaf the Great

Quote Originally Posted by lionhard View Post
    Medieval 2 gold edition has just arrived, so ill install the game tonight! Looking forward to it now actualy.

My only issue is .. as im installing the game off the disc, its activating and installing via steam ... will that work ok with EB2?
    Can you not install it entirely separately from Steam? You want no interaction with Steam whatsoever, it messes with things it doesn't have to. Disable/shutdown Steam before you install, and make sure you do not install it in Program Files. The shorter the path - eg d:\M2TW\mods\EBII\ - the better.

Also make sure you upgrade Kingdoms to v1.05 before installing and running EB2.01 (following the instructions on getting a working game). Then finally you can install 2.04j (just overwrite the 2.01 files).
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 10-04-2015 at 20:21.

Ok cheers! So much messing around lol!

Iv just deleted steam and tried installing fresh off the disc, for some reason steam seems to come up as soon as i put the disc in, the options involving the disc have steam all over it! its only allowing me to install the game through steam ..... WTF? i cant get away from steam i deleted it and its trying to reinstall it

Edit: As i said i bought the game the other day and it seems like creative assembly have gave the running of the game solely to steam now, you can play online through steam bla bla, when i start the CD steam just operates everything.... So what is EB2 going to do when its finished and people are buying this game and its all been operated by steam which is causing EB2 issues to run?
    Last edited by lionhard; 10-05-2015 at 10:52.
    From Olaf the Great

It works with steam, just not as good as without. The main issue(as far as I know*) remains the Path length. I'm running it with Steam and my problems are minimal, when you're installing Steam I'd advise to install it with a short Path(eg: d:\S).

Yeah steam is quite clingy with it's games, It sees a game that's on steam it tries to devour it :/

*tho QS or another Team member may have better insights there.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Member thankful for this post:

I don't really have better insights; I've studiously avoided Steam and don't have it, and thus have never encountered the myriad problems that are reported with it. You can run EBII with Steam, there may be some troubleshooting you need to do to make it so, it's just easier without.

I would run it without but when i put the CD in the CD ROM when the disc start up menu appears, its got steam all over it, i physically cant install med 2 without steam .... damn it.
    From Olaf the Great

There shouldn't be too much problems running with Steam, actually. I've tried it with Steam and it runs just fine. So no worries. There's even a Steam-specific launcher for EBII that comes with the mod.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

Well all im trying to say is .... if the game installs via steam now and only steam, then maybe the mod should be focusing future efforts on ironing out bugs with steam? I know its easy for me to sit here and say that when its you guys who are working your ass off on the mod, (or casually making a unit every 2 months) either way if steams the only way forward i hope it doesnt have too many future issues! Its not like the mod needs more bugs contributing towards regular CTD's. Anyway il install it later!
    From Olaf the Great

No, it installs with both Steam and non-Steam versions of the game. There are seperate launchers for Steam and non-Steam versions including in the installation.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Lionhard, thank you for just giving me another reason to stay away from this frontal assault to customer rights that is called "Steam". ;)

( And good luck with getting EB II to run, of course. :) )
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Im neither with or against steam shadow, but i thought steam was supposed to be good for pc gaming? with shops dieing and pc gaming generally being a lot slower these days, surely steams a good thing? I dont game much these days, i just like EB, im currently 2 years into building a koi pond in my garden thats set me back £5000 which is a lot for a pond i suppose, cheers anyway
    From Olaf the Great

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Well, first and foremost Steam is good for Valve. They don't even need to develop new games because their income is secure, so-to-sepak.

For us customers Steam is the symbol of a dramatical change in terms of our rights. We used to buy a hard copy of a game and with it we bought the right to install the game on whatever computer we had. Most important: we also bought the right to sell said hard copy to a third person (or for example a second hand shop) when we were finished / not satisfied / whatever else with the game.

Now - with Steam being necessary to get access to the majority of new games - we just buy the temporary (!) right to play it and we are completely at the mercy of Valve.
    They could* decide to cut down the Steam platform tomorrow and could thereby in one second end the possibility of a myriad of players to play a myriad of games, to update them etc.

Your experiences with Steam and Medieval II are a good symbol of what I mean - even deleting Steam doesn't give you the freedom to install a hard copy version of M II TW. What the heck?!

[* "They could" does of course not mean that they would, but with a hard copy they would not even have had the chance to do so. I hope I can make the difference clear, english is still not my native language ]

Just to have mentioned it: I know the points that are made in "defense" of Steam - for example that without it a lot of Indie games wouldn't have had even 10% of the success they had with it.

But all those points don't justify that Steam turned us players from "a person that owns a car by buying it" into "a person that is allowed to drive the car by buying it but doesn't own it and can -theoretically - be thrown out of it at any moment".

This is the reason why I don't own any games that need Steam, why I for example do not have any experiences with any TW game after Medieval II TW.
    I do not use Steam and I will never do. I rather stop buying new games. There are lots of older gems still to explore. And gaming is not the centre of my life anyway.

Rant end.

P.S.: Shops dying is in my opinion at least partially caused by Steam.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 10-06-2015 at 23:14.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

M2TW Gold was the last game I bought for the PC, I got it on budget in about 2009 and left it in a drawer until last year.

I don't have Steam installed, I have no plans to buy any other PC games. I'm not interested in any of CA's later releases, or any other games, so no loss for me.

Members thankful for this post (2):