Thread: Moving to Canada

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Moving to Canada

Calling out to all North American friends;

Where should we move to, if we ever could, in Canada provided the fact that I could only be regarded a "skilled worker" on account that I've been working as an expert for a government institution specialized in the distribution of EU funds for agriculture and rural development for more than 3 years now?

Which Canadian province is more friendly towards English-speaking immigrants in both terms of hospitality and job opportunities ?

Thanks in advance.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Moving to Canada

Why do you want to, Canada isn't all that lenient you are probably expecting it to be, you are probably better of where you are as a well educated guy. Do you have a job offer? You are nothing if you don't.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-04-2015 at 00:35.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Canada is actually a pretty nice country.

Though, you might want to consider Australia as a possibility too. I have had a few Turkish friends who emigrated there, so I know there is already a Turkish community and they love the place.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-04-2015 at 01:38.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Colonel In Chief Member PROVOST's Avatar

Overall,Australia is definitely very much immigrant friendly.

Some tips - do endeavour to mix both your cultural and religious (if any) heritage with embracing the culture of our pluralistic country.

It's those who do not aim to speak english,live amongst the people peacefully and obey the rule of law (and not expect sharia law) that do best.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Canada is actually a pretty nice country.

Though, you might want to consider Australia as a possibility too. I have had a few Turkish friends who emigrated there, so I know there is already a Turkish community and they love the place.
    I have never been there myself, but I have never heard a bad thing about it. I am just curious about the why. I expect LEN has a great life Turkey, and I expect him to have nice friends there, and as well a nice family. Oppertunities galore for him where he is, my advice, buy an old boat and fix it, and relax on it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-04-2015 at 08:13.

I would avoid Australia, because of the extremely high temperatures. At least, Canada's climate is much friendlier and Qebec is by far the most beautiful part of the country, but the knowledge of the French language is necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by PROVOST View Post
    Overall,Australia is definitely very much immigrant friendly.
    Not sure if serious...

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    Which Canadian province is more friendly towards English-speaking immigrants in both terms of hospitality and job opportunities ?
    Toronto.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    I would avoid Australia, because of the extremely high temperatures. At least, Canada's climate is much friendlier and Qebec is by far the most beautiful part of the country, but the knowledge of the French language is necessary.

Not sure if serious...
    Mediterranean temperatures or cooler for 80% of the population. Most live on the coast, yet the oldest snow ski club in the world is here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiandra_snow_shoe_club

The extreme temperatures are more desert based and not many live there.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

If gov't work is your thing really can't go wrong in the central hub: Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal.
    Living expenses get crazy in the actual cities, best to examine real estate on the fringe; which assumes you know where you will be employed.
    In pretty much any main city you will find a pretty accepting culture; as usual mileage varies on the people you actually meet.

For job hunting, the gov't runs pretty helpful websites; much of your hunting/application could be accomplished from outside Canada.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Canada Has!!!
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

It's and interesting question. The major hubs are a good option if you want to keep a connection to your own cultural roots, but Alberta and Saskatchewan and the Fraser Valley of British Columbia are also good options if you have a connection to agriculture. You most likely won't have a problem with the Canadian people wherever you go, but it might be tricky for you to have your EU credentials recognised and get the type of work you are used to. I know quite a few lawyers and such who have immigrated from other countries and had to engage in some huge career changes to make ends meet. Canada is a good country, but our dollar is very week right now, and so housing and living expenses are not cheap (compared to USA) in the west of Canada or especially up north. -Good luck, and welcome when you get here!
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence