Thread: All New Purchases Of Rome total war or Medieval 2 CD's WILL Install via steam

Default All New Purchases Of Rome total war or Medieval 2 CD's WILL Install via steam

I can confirm 100% after getting back onto EB1 and losing my RTW BI CD, as i had 2 huge campaigns, which im hoping to throw up on youtube soon, my Seleucid campaign was on BI so i bought a whole new RTW Anthology CD set and when i started it up, i get no options to install without steam, i HAVE to install via steam! so where does that leave EB1? when everyone has lost their RTW CD's? luckily i managed to get BI alone and it was an old copy which wont install via steam so i got lucky....

If you purchase Medieval 2 in any form single or Kingdoms, it WILL install via steam. How shit is that? I cant believe it, im devastated because it makes things 10 times harder for me, iv only just got used to patching, installing and moving around mods and its took near 10 years!, im trying to install EB 2 via steam and iv got no idea what i need, people are saying i need all kinds of patches and downloads. Why cant things stay simple? FFS!

Edit Oh and if that didnt make it bad enough, a windows update came out last month "Windows Update KB3086255" which stops you from physically running any game cd which used safeplay, so basically every game pre 2012, so now you CANT EVEN RUN YOUR GOD DAMN CD's, youve got to go through hours of trouble like i just have trying to find out why my GOD DAMN cd's wont work. Cant actually believe iv finally fixed it, you have to uninstall the windows update! So if your running windows 7,8 or 10 you will have to uninstall Windows Update KB3086255. I mean seriously what a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by lionhard; 10-13-2015 at 19:40.
    From Olaf the Great

"Fight for your country -- that is the best, the only omen! ..." - Hector

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Default Re: All New Purchases Of Rome total war or Medieval 2 CD's WILL Install via steam

I was saving EB 1 and a couple of other mods for the upcoming apocalypse. They don't actually work with the steam versions of rtw?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: All New Purchases Of Rome total war or Medieval 2 CD's WILL Install via steam

Quote Originally Posted by lionhard View Post
    Edit Oh and if that didnt make it bad enough, a windows update came out last month "Windows Update KB3086255" which stops you from physically running any game cd which used safeplay, so basically every game pre 2012, so now you CANT EVEN RUN YOUR GOD DAMN CD's, youve got to go through hours of trouble like i just have trying to find out why my GOD DAMN cd's wont work. Cant actually believe iv finally fixed it, you have to uninstall the windows update! So if your running windows 7,8 or 10 you will have to uninstall Windows Update KB3086255. I mean seriously what a pain in the ass.
    There's a workaround listed on the details of the update:

After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.

Note When you no longer require the service to be running, we recommend that you turn off the service again.

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt. You should press Enter after you type each command.

To disable the driver's service, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= disabled

To set the driver's service to manual, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= demand

To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type the following command:

sc config secdrv start=auto

To manually start the driver's service, type the following command:

sc start secdrv

To manually stop the driver's service, type the following command:

sc stop secdrv
    I should note this installed a few days ago for me, and my M2TW CD continues to run fine.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 10-14-2015 at 08:31.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens 

Although I don't see the problem for MTW2 from steam, since that's how I play EBII. It works just fine, no need to fiddle around, just make sure you use the mod launcher and it works (I haven't tested on Windows 8, but it worked fine with my old laptop with Windows 7.)
    Just install it to the mod folder, use the launcher and voila... EBII.(If I recall, the installation does it for you so long as it install it to the game's directory. I wish M2:TW had workshop support, but that's me being lazy)

With RL I haven't gotten around to playing EBII on the new laptop, but I suspect it won't be all too bad. (I'm excited for Vulkan and no longer having to deal with OpenGL legacy)

As for Rome EBI, I don't remember how I got that working, but I don't recall it being all too difficult. (I think I might have just 'cracked' the steam version of the .exe, but I'm not sure.)
    Steam really isn't that bad, it removes the hassle of hunting down patches.(Its also far more convenient, I live in Canada, and the good brick and mortar stores that held a good selection of PC games pre-steam was at least an hour away[Somewhere in the depths of Toronto]. So I'm in favour to the online digital distribution. Otherwise I would never have played any Total War or Paradox Interactive games or the resurgence of niche genres that I enjoy, like city builders.)

EB works fine under Steam. You may not like steam, but that's another issue.

There are directions on how to do so somewhere here in the forum, but in short:

Install the game and the mod.

Find your Rome total war Icon and right click it and select properties - you should see something like this:

steam://rungameid/4760

Take note of the number.

Now find your Steam icon (not the icon that runs the game but starts steam) and make a copy. Right click the copied Icon and it's properties will be something like (depending upon where it is installed):

D:\Steam\Steam.exe

Edit those properties so that they look like (remember, the number is as above, so in this case 4760):

D:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 4760 -mod:eb -show_err

That should do it. If that doesn't work, again, I'm sure there are specific directions here on how to set this up since I know I got the parameters from here originally. I also renamed the shortcut and selected the EB Icon for easy identification. Happy EBing.
    Last edited by Starforge; 10-22-2015 at 22:57.

Members thankful for this post (2):