Thread: Problems with Steam

Default Problems with Steam

I know that Steam Support has a bad reputation and I am in the middle of experiencing it. In 2010, I bought a copy of Napoleon - Total War from Amazon. When it arrived, it took me several days before I was able to install Steam and attempt to install and play - mostly due to poor broadband reception. Eventually, I gave up and put it all back in the box.

I recently changed to fibre optic broadband after changing my ISP and decided to try again to play N-TW. I put disk 1 in my laptop, and commenced the procedure. Then the installation halted and I got a message that my game was installed on another account. I have tried to recover that account (which was set up under my old e-mail address) and provided Steam Support with all the information requested. That was over a day ago and I have so far heard nothing from them.

I've checked on the internet and it seems my waiting time so far is tiny compared to some - there are those who have been waiting for a response for a year!

Can anyone tell me if there is a work-around that will enable me to play the game I paid for without having to use Steam?

Cheers,
    Mike

Default Re: Problems with Steam

Does the silence mean nobody can help or just "not yet"?

Cheers,
    Mike

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Steam has not gotten back to you yet?

Have you tried to contact them again? I have not had to go through account recovery. I can only guess the problems.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Steam has not gotten back to you yet?

Have you tried to contact them again? I have not had to go through account recovery. I can only guess the problems.
    I have tried to contact them every day for the last 3 or 4 days. I believe this is a comparatively short time - some people have had to wait months!

That is nuts. That is what happens when you have a single source provider though.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    That is nuts. That is what happens when you have a single source provider though.
    As you say - nuts - but that's what I have to deal with. N-TW wasn't cheap, I have not been able to install it and it's too late to get my money back. Not only that, if I buy another copy, I'll still have to go through the "Steam Experience" to play it. That is something I will NOT do again. Why on earth do producers of computer games deal with this useless organisation - and I use the latter word despite its inappropriateness.

Is there anyone out there who can offer me some suggestions on what to do to get to play the game I paid for?

Developers use Steam as an extra layer of copy protection. It is good for them. I have had a couple of issues with Steam but nothing like what you have had to deal with.

Having the games only for a single service to play them is a problem. It makes the service complacent. If they had to compete for costumers their service would need to be much better.

It is nice to use Steam if you like multiplayer a lot but for single player it is just another layer of hassle you don’t want to deal with.

I am very sorry you are having all that difficulty. NTW is a good game. The Peninsular Campaign is also good and I found it worth the price, but honestly it has been several years since I played them.

I hope they wake up soon and fix your problem and you get to play, if you still feel like it by then.

It is such a shame.

Mark Twain

I've no desire to use multiplayer mode but I do want to play the game. It ought to be a relatively simple process and it seems only Steam's involvement is screwing things up. Surely it must be illegal - even in the USA - to take money from people and then not provide them with what they paid for. In the UK, we have state organisations who address these kinds of problems and make the seller live up to the contract he has with the buyer.

I suppose I'll have to resort to using Social Media to try and embarrass them - but I hate SM almost as much as I hate Steam!

Member thankful for this post:

I have an announcement: Steam have responded to my ticket and resolved the issue I had. I can now play N-TW!! It only took a week.

Member thankful for this post:

Geezzzz...

Mark Twain