Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Terror Attack: 130 Dead in Paris

Default Re: Paris attacks: At least 120 dead

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Diagnosing the problem is not hard - I did it years ago - but finding a workable solution is. I continue to believe that the solution is increasing the economic outlook in Muslim countries for everyone, not just the princes, and toppling the most brutal of the dictators when they cross the line and start openly killing their own subjects.

Toppling the dictators is literally why we have the current situation. I have no idea where you were during the Blair years, but apparently you refuse to acknowledge that Saddam, Gaddafi, and Assad were able to prevent radical Islamists from rising in their own lands. Without them, we have the current situation.

Member thankful for this post:

Ice 

Default Re: Paris attacks: At least 120 dead

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Toppling the dictators is literally why we have the current situation. I have no idea where you were during the Blair years, but apparently you refuse to acknowledge that Saddam, Gaddafi, and Assad were able to prevent radical Islamists from rising in their own lands. Without them, we have the current situation.
    I don't agree with PFH on the need to remove Middle Eastern dictators and I think it's chauvinistic to believe the ME's problems are our responsibility, but Assad is still in power and his regime wasn't able to stop the rise of jihadist factions like Al-Nusra in Syria, If anything the Assad regime just made things worse by firing on unarmed protesters and sparking the civil war. Portions of Yemen have also been taken over by Al-Qaeda and the Yemeni government is backed by the US.

Default Re: Terror Attack: 130 Dead in Paris

From my recollection, we armed Syrian rebels to undermine Assad, and Iran has been doing the same to us in Yemen. Also, the Syrian civil war was in large part driven by climate change causing a devastating drought from 2006 to 2009. You can't say that Assad screwed everything up by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SFTS
    You can be honest, you know most mulims oppose these things. That is fine, a man is entitiled to his opinion. It is simply not the way the west is trending.
    But it looks like it’s working out fine on that end. Not a problem to the extent that there can be no middle ground. Yes, it’s not Islamic. Who says they can’t coexist? US broke this barrier, Turkey sort of, and believe it or not the Gulf (locals and Filipinos mostly). Muslims aren’t alien to homosexuality. I don't see Russia getting this much flak.
    Integration in Europe is deteriorating and its the fault of both parties.
    That's all there is to say about it really.
    Quote Originally Posted by PFH
    It was a tragedy before we got involved
    Yeah I bet everything is a tragedy when you're at the beacon of civilization. Please. Things were fine before you came along.
    If you believe this then you're part of the problem. I'm certain not all Muslims believe this, unless all Muslims are liars.
    The fact that you can't grasp this is proof of your total ignorance of these places. Shia and Sunni brothers in arms broken apart by a clueless governor who bent over to Iranian hegemony. The Persia-ification of Iraq. Arrogant power after arrogant power, only Iranians are much smarter than all the west combined.
    We aren't saints but we'll still be interested in helping you after all your oil is gone, we'll probably be even nicer than we are now.
    Bullshit. http://www.ecfr.eu/page/-/Responding...rtive_Gulf.pdf

I can see it now.

Arabs: "So remember when we bailed you out that time?"
    Europe: "Fix your human rights issues, chump"

Never gets old. Oh and I can see China dropping Africa like a "lump of lead."
    If anything the Assad regime just made things worse by firing on unarmed protesters and sparking the civil war.
    After Islamists were armed by about 40 countries and planted shooters in between the crowds. Opposition in the Arab world is dirty dirty dirty.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 11-17-2015 at 06:20.

Also, the Syrian civil war was in large part driven by climate change causing a devastating drought from 2006 to 2009. You can't say that Assad screwed everything up by itself.
    Hi Bernie.

Goodbye Bernie.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 11-17-2015 at 06:17.

Quote Originally Posted by HitWithThe5 View Post
    Hi Bernie.

Goodbye Bernie.
    You can't even put forth a counter argument. I third the notion that you bring nothing to the discussion.

That argument doesn't warrant a counterargument. You're the one that needs to elaborate on the correlation between climate change and political dissidence in Syria.

Why don't you look up the history of droughts in Syria before hopping on bandwagons.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 11-17-2015 at 07:40.

That argument doesn't warrant a counterargument. You're the one that needs to elaborate on the correlation between climate change and political dissidence in Syria.

Why don't you look up the history of droughts in Syria before hopping on bandwagons.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...hange-drought/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-26943503

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...513729/?no-ist

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/13/302350...risis-in-syria

It's been talked about way before Bernie had a spotlight. Why don't you go and pick flowers while they still grow.

EDIT: Sorry Hooahguy, I tried.
    Last edited by Husar; 11-17-2015 at 08:32. Reason: Just helping all of you out a bit.

It should go without saying that climate disruptions (from a human perspective) are one of the primary underlying causes for "political dissidence".

North Africa and the Middle East have everything going against them as it regards social stability, though in fact that's true for most places, as for example borne out by the perennially-anxious governments of Russia and China.

The West has pretty good lands.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Don't need good lands, the Netherlands is among the biggest food exporters in the world and it's a tiny country. Really advanced greenhouses aren't out of reach for these regions you just have to invest in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    If we have +30k of these lunatics in a geographically enclosed area.
    Your data are outdated (forgive my pun). Russia claims that its bombers have destroyed 500 military infrastructure objects of ISIS. If we consider that half of the 30k ISIS fighters (15k) are in Syria and that each of the objects was guarded by at least a platoon (30 men), then 500*30= 15 000. Syria is free from ISIS (according to the Kremlin).

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Yes, I think they will come to us asking for permission to preach, for they are foreigners with no right to abode here.
    I'm not sure they must do it. They can cross the Channel from elsewhere as if on business of their own (can you figure out the preachers among them?), then come to the mosque and start their preaching. Alternatively, they can preach at secret meetings without any license. And, finally, who told you that they are all FOREIGNERS? I'm sure by now there are some UK citizens who can do this (consider France and Belgium as an example).

Secondly here in Northern and Eastern Europe we already have institutions for giving military training to large number of people annually, which we do. Unlike in your country where few hired service men protect the civilian population who could not protect their lunch box if their life depended on it.

The deploying surely is a problem as long as US keeps supporting Wahhabist countries like Saudi Arabia.
    I'm surprised to hear such a discussion from people who have an experience of playing TW games. Such people ought to know that one of the most important factors in battles is morale. So the crucial issue about these recruits is how high their morale is likely to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

EU has unanimously enacted article 42.7 concerning mutual assistance if one participating country is attacked, after French request. This is the first time the article has been enacted in the history of EU.

http://www.france24.com/en/20151117-...stance-request
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I'm not sure they must do it. They can cross the Channel from elsewhere as if on business of their own (can you figure out the preachers among them?), then come to the mosque and start their preaching. Alternatively, they can preach at secret meetings without any license. And, finally, who told you that they are all FOREIGNERS? I'm sure by now there are some UK citizens who can do this (consider France and Belgium as an example).
    It's a fairly common complaint amongst homegrown preachers, who tend to be moderate and not very numerous, that foreign firebreathers are imported to preach their brand of hatred. Those who are radicalised tend to travel to Pakistan or other known radicalisation hotbeds to complete their "education". The process is fairly well known. Looking at the Paris attackers, it seems Syria was where they completed their "education", prior to returning to France to do their stuff.

EU has unanimously enacted article 42.7 concerning mutual assistance if one participating country is attacked, after French request. This is the first time the article has been enacted in the history of EU.

http://www.france24.com/en/20151117-...stance-request
    That's a nice way to sneak in something on top of what already exists but fails, I am sure it sounds reasonable. The answer to the failling of the EU is always the same, more EU. Merkel lead the way, wir schaffen das. Dumb plumb eastblock farmhorese, wir schaffen das nicht, go to a cloister and have a messias-complex there kthxbye
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-17-2015 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    That's a nice way to sneak in something on top of what already exists but fails, I am sure it sounds reasonable. The answer to the failling of the EU is always the same, more EU. Merkel lead the way, wir schaffen das. Dumb plumb eastblock farmhorese, wir schaffen das nicht, go to a cloister and have a messias-complex there kthxbye
    I dont know why France is not calling the invocation of NATO article 5, but enacting this one. This could be nothing, too early to say.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I dont know why France is not calling the invocation of NATO article 5, but enacting this one. This could be nothing, too early to say.
    I already know what's going to happen. Law-enforcers from the east are going to be situated in the west and vica-versa, the only thing the EU wants is more EU

Russia has just struck ISIS at Raqqa with long range bombers and cruise missiles from Mediterranean. Apparently this time they have notified US and France of their intentions.

https://www.rt.com/news/322413-russi...mediterranean/
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Yeah I bet everything is a tragedy when you're at the beacon of civilization. Please. Things were fine before you came along.
    Your assumption that we don't care because we aren't constantly wringing our hands is faulty.

You missed all the arguments about this a few years ago - at this point it's like watching a car crash repeatedly in very slow motions. As terrible as it is there's no point constantly saying "oh woe, oh that the world was kinder to man".

The fact that you can't grasp this is proof of your total ignorance of these places. Shia and Sunni brothers in arms broken apart by a clueless governor who bent over to Iranian hegemony. The Persia-ification of Iraq. Arrogant power after arrogant power, only Iranians are much smarter than all the west combined.
    So Arabs hate all non Arabs? Your argument here is, at best, confused.

Bullshit. http://www.ecfr.eu/page/-/Responding...rtive_Gulf.pdf

I can see it now.

Arabs: "So remember when we bailed you out that time?"
    Europe: "Fix your human rights issues, chump"

Never gets old. Oh and I can see China dropping Africa like a "lump of lead."
    Errr.

Yes, fix your human rights issues - we'll be happy to help.

Of course, you'd rather continue to live the good life using Indians as slave labour and Texans to drill your oil - if you have any mines I assume you use the Cornish to dig those.

China will drop Africa as soon as Africa has nothing to offer in materials, they are really only developing Africa's infrastructure to extract those materials, the average African miner isn't better off - he might be worse off because the mines are taking bigger and bigger risks.

Russia started TWO wars with Ukraine using proxies just because of paranoia and China is worse, they lock people up and send them to forced labour camps just for having an unsanctioned religion. China itself is a mess, anyway, there are numerous examples of poorly built Chinese infrastructure breaking down and people dying.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

China itself is a mess, anyway, there are numerous examples of poorly built Chinese infrastructure breaking down and people dying.
    Their products aren't that much better; Chinese swivel chairs occasionally explode when sat on.

I'm not even joking, the elevation mechanism under the seat uses trapped air to maintain height and with domestic Chinese quality control being what it is the seals are known to fail at high pressure. The lucky ones just lose a chair, occasionally they fail in such a way that metal is driven upwards through the seat.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 11-17-2015 at 15:35.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Not to forget the iPhones, couldn't think of a bigger failure of a product. Several people have already died trying to take selfies with them, horrible safety record.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Not to forget the iPhones, couldn't think of a bigger failure of a product. Several people have already died trying to take selfies with them, horrible safety record.
    If you're arguing that China has perfectly adequate quality control regulations, then I think the Chinese themselves would disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    If you're arguing that China has perfectly adequate quality control regulations, then I think the Chinese themselves would disagree with you.
    When I told this Chinese girl that Germans deem Chinese goods to be of inferior quality, she seemed offended.
    As for what I mean, I'm not sure, maybe I just like anecdotal evidence or exploding accumulators...

In other news: Politics, politics never change...
    http://www.theonion.com/multiblogpos...st-regio-11534

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Member thankful for this post:

When I told this Chinese girl that Germans deem Chinese goods to be of inferior quality, she seemed offended.
    As for what I mean, I'm not sure, maybe I just like anecdotal evidence or exploding accumulators...

In other news: Politics, politics never change...
    http://www.theonion.com/multiblogpos...st-regio-11534
    See the milk powder scandal. After that, those Chinese who could afford it no longer trusted products made in China, preferring instead to buy from Hong Kong (with its British-established regulations). This led to a shortage of said product in Hong Kong for resident Hong Kongers, adding to the ill will between the territory and the mainland. Generally, Chinese who can afford it prefer Hong Kong-made products because of its tighter and reliable regulations.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

But it looks like it’s working out fine on that end. Not a problem to the extent that there can be no middle ground. Yes, it’s not Islamic. Who says they can’t coexist? US broke this barrier, Turkey sort of, and believe it or not the Gulf (locals and Filipinos mostly). Muslims aren’t alien to homosexuality. I don't see Russia getting this much flak.
    Because we aren't talking about Russia?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Football stadium in Hanover has been evacuated due to suspicions that a terrorist attack in the city was imminent.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/liv...b0e98c91b0d316

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The Chinese are capable of building things to a high standard but they won't bother if they can get away with it.

Just like they can be nice and helpful, but won't bother if they can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Football stadium in Hanover has been evacuated due to suspicions that a terrorist attack in the city was imminent.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/liv...b0e98c91b0d316
    Yesterday they evacuated the shopping centre in my little city. I get the sense we're in much more danger than we realise, save that we are usually saved by the security services. Obviously someone dropped the ball over Paris.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

The drought angle makes it look like opposition was inspired by this but Arab countries have begun importing water long ago, this is inevitable. What did we expect cutting off Syria and strip it of its opportunity to at least do something about it like the rest of the ME?
    Shifting responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by PFH
    So Arabs hate all non Arabs? Your argument here is, at best, confused.
    Yeah keep talking out of your butt over legit points. Do you think Iraqis enjoy their govt institutions and their superiors being outsiders? People they went to war with? They're calling it an Iranian province.
    Yes, fix your human rights issues - we'll be happy to help.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ern-day-slaves
    I hope they are fixed. In the meantime take this money and stay quiet about it. You can use it as an excuse to not pay your debts later. I would list all the agreements Britain and the west broke in the ME but why bother.
    Russia started TWO wars with Ukraine using proxies just because of paranoia
    Russia is tied to Ukraine, different politics in the ME.
    China itself is a mess, anyway, there are numerous examples of poorly built Chinese infrastructure breaking down and people dying.
    Over the years they have proven to be the most rational power. Full respect for sovereignty of distant countries.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 11-18-2015 at 01:57.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Russia and France are teaming up to fight ISIS.

Also, not looking at anyone in particular but everyone needs to think before they post a personal attack. I already shut down one thread because of it and I do not want to have to do it again. Ive been lax about enforcing rules so far but if need be I will crack down like what happened two months ago.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Well ISIS would count as a facist organization.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast