Thread: Seeking Head to Head MP Campaign Opponent

Default Seeking Head to Head MP Campaign Opponent

Hi all,

I am seeking a dedicated head to head mp campaign opponent, who is available on Sunday's.

I would prefer this opponent be interested in playing battles a little more historically accurate. By this I just mean not " running" your entire army all over the battlefield at all times like its TW ARENA.

I would not mind trying a campaign in any or all of the following games, all modded of course( I have all DLC's for all listed games).

1. Napoleon Total War - mod- NTW3
    2. Shogun 2 - mod - Radious but am open to other mod suggestions
    3. Rome 2 - mod - DEI and R2 Realism but am open to other mod suggestions
    4. Attila - mod - Fall of The Eagles but am open to other mod suggestions

I'm not interested in flying through the campaigns and battles. I don't mind taking my time and am hopeful said opponent would feel the same way. My main intentions of posting is to find an opponent who is slow and calculating rather than finding someone who likes the 3 min battles of Rome 2 vanilla and running around the battlefield like a chicken without a head.

I'm available to play on pretty much Sunday only. Preferably morning( Central Standard Time - US), but should be available all day most of the time.

Here are a few basic "realistic type" ground rules that I would like to play battles with

1.No running of infantry at anytime unless charging at proper charge range
    2.Only infantry,skirmishers/archers and light cav in trees, no heavy cav in trees
    3.Cav only run at periodic times, NOT all the time all over the battlefield
    4.No artillery in trees, arty cannot move thru trees either or shoot into trees except when enemy is coming out of trees
    5.Units cannot move thru other units, there must be clear lanes open
    6.Skirmishers/archers and light cav can run, but not at ALL times
    7.only skirmishers/archers can pass thru infantry lines, no other units can pass thru units
    8.No direct fire targeting of Generals
    9.Horse arty can run, but only when redeploying to a different battlefield position if the player wishes
    10.No direct fire targeting of artillery when it is limbered up
    11. No 1 unit suicide attack charge at arty, must be a concerted attack by multiple units to destroy artillery
    12. No 1 unit by themselves going along edge of map to rear of enemy lines, u can use 1 or more units to scout though, but 1 unit would never be alone by themselves behind enemy lines without supporting units

I understand these rules might seem very restrictive to the average TW player. That's because I have no desire to play TW like its a video game , nor do I desire to use the normal "gamey" type of tactics that will win you a TW contest. I am obviously looking only for a very specific type of player. I've been guilty many times of playing opposite of these very rules that I am proposing here. That's why I am suggesting them. I want to try and have a different kind of TW battle. I simply want to try and have a more realistic battlefield experience which I believe is way more immersive than your normal TW MP game.

My Steam name is same as here, Ztrain909

If anyone is interested feel free to connect on Steam or you can respond here or leave me a pm.

Thank you
    Last edited by ztrain909; 12-20-2015 at 20:12. Reason: Updated Rules

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Re: Seeking Head to Head MP Campaign Opponent

I'm not really available on a consistent basis, but I hope you find a good opponent.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    but I hope you find a good opponent.
    I appreciate that. Seeing as I have played TW since the first Medievil, I doubt there will be many applicants. Rarely have I seen players that might enjoy a more realistic type of approach.

I'll be here, I'm in no hurry. If your ever interested, just let me know.

When I said "dedicated," I did just mean dedicated to playing by the rules, I have started mp campaigns with some only to make it to first battle and have them totally forget about the rules. I guess most TW players just can't help themselves. :)

I'd rather find one compatible opponent and take months or years to finish one campaign, rather than play every weekend with a player who isn't compatible with my play style.

could be nice. tho how was playing campaign battles vs another human even possible? - emphasis is on campaign battles really. thx
    Most Dope Fresh Artist Out There

DraMatiQue

www.datpiff.com/DraMatiQue-Kill-The-Game-Mixtape.429536.html

Free Mixtape Download

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

It's completely possible in the newer games silver, you can even play as the ai forces they fight against.

and if you do go against silver, be prepared, he is a ruthless foe :)
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

SilverShield,

Nightbringer is correct. That is exactly how I play head to head mp campaigns. The opponent would fight as the ai. Imo, it changes how you play your campaign because instead of always facing the ai in battles now your facing a human player. Different tactics, no more mad melee rushes by the predictable ai. Now you might have to approach your campaign and the battles you choose differently, especially when facing a formidable opponent.

Since I suck to begin with, you might even find it harder to play the ai more than me. :)

For myself, I enjoy challenges up to a certain point. That's why I decided to play all my battles not using any icons, mini maps, flags, etc while fighting the battle.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1...oY6BnhK0zOo0Lw

It's just more difficult when facing an opponent who will not honor any kind of "realistic" type rules because without those help aides my reaction time is much slower.

So you can judge for yourself with the link above if you would be interested. If not, I completely understand.

Even for a sub par player like myself, even I get tired of the ai predictability(in SP campaigns) and am hoping another player is also.

huh guys i had no idea that was really possible. but yea then again i never really gave anything medieval ii thereafter a thought really as i solely stuck to human vs human action that itself all ran on medieval ii solely. tho if there was a chance to have a human campaign were things are fought out between one another i really gave rome 2 a shot. one however has to consider on agreeing on pausing the battle whenever ur opponent is in need to. yea that rather is a lil unrealistic itself but otherwise it s just mere who s best with the mouse. im def not. also to have some tactical depth it s just nec to have a few secs to coordinate that what s nec really. that s my thought at least.
    what im not really sure abouth is the fifth idea really as some units would just overlap naturally. also it still is a computer afterall it s still not that perfect so there s always room for problems. also since im obvioulsy not perfect myself either plus that this whole new way on things was somewhat new to me then im prone to non perfection or even problems myself also so there s prolly need for some kindness as to if something went a lil off. however im always willing to adjust so yea this whole new thing could be nice

DraMatiQue

Free Mixtape Download

SilverShield,

As I can see your one of the "hardcore" old time Total War players, not willing to embrace anything post Med2. :) You would be surprised what can be done in the newer games. Some of it you may like, some of it you may not. It depends on your preferences.

One thing is for sure, some absolutely wonderful modders have been hard at work turning CA's "crap" vanilla version games into hours of fun.

I suggest you scan Steam workshop or twcenter(sorry .ORG) to find a mod for a game that might interest you.

Once you have done that, let me know, I would be more than happy to have a head to head mp campaign with you, providing you think you would be able to play by the rules I have listed above.

That's all I'm trying to do with those rules above, is " limit" a player to having any " GAMEY " type chance of winning. A player will have to use sound tactical decisions and knowledge of terrain, troop strength and capability in order to win most battles. I just want to try something different than what is the norm of a TW battle.

Let's be honest here, and I'm not trying to be offensive or combative. Even though I know you pre- MED2 types believe that you are " purists," I have played mp games since Rome 1, and most people still play ANY Total War game as just that, A GAME. Most players use the " game " type tactics that will make you win but that would NEVER have been employed on a real battlefield.

As far as your suggestion of pausing, that is the only proof I need of knowing that even though you have not experienced any TW game post Med 2, that the players you play against still play the same exact way as every other TW game, pre MED2 or post MED2.

If you were to employ the rules that I have listed above, you would see that a player would have more than enough time to react to an opponents move. There would be no reason to pause, because your opponent would NOT be bearing down on you in full sprint mode with his ENTIRE army. They would be advancing toward you in a controlled fashion, allowing you to counter any moves they might make.

It's because 99.9999% of all TW battles are never fought this way. Have you seen video of any of the new Total War Arena games? Wow, talk about disgusting. Full blown sprints of all troops right from the start, pretty sad.

Once again, it's your choice. I actually found a wonderful partner for a head to head in NTW using the NTW3 mod. So if you or anyone else would care to try a h2h in STW2, RTW2 or Attila, let me know, I'm pretty sure we would have some fun with it.

At least it would definitely be different than what the norm is.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverShield View Post
    what im not really sure abouth is the fifth idea really as some units would just overlap naturally. also it still is a computer afterall it s still not that perfect so there s always room for problems. also since im obvioulsy not perfect myself either plus that this whole new way on things was somewhat new to me then im prone to non perfection or even problems myself also so there s prolly need for some kindness as to if something went a lil off. however im always willing to adjust so yea this whole new thing could be nice

Sorry Silver, I forgot to address this concern of yours.

Think about it from a realistic standpoint. How many times in a TW game have you seen Cav just charge into the rear of friendly units just to get the charge bonus on the enemy? Or spearmen charging from behind regular melee infantry?

I understand in the heat of the battle a player has to react quickly, but that's only because most of the time the opposing player is throwing everything a you but the kitchen sink, all in one big mosh pit.

These type of units never would have charged right thru friendly units. The only units that would have had the ability to go thru friendly units would have been the skirmishers because of they're nimbleness and lack of heavy weaponry.

So it would make some sense to try and mimic that type of game play in a TW battle, but I personally have not come across any player or TW video that shows a player having clear lanes open for a cav attack or a supporting inf attack.

I can promise you though, with me you will have plenty of time, I like to move slowly most of the time, except when it's " banzai " time. :)

Not to mention if you notice on that you tube link I put above, I haven't won one freakin battle yet since I started recording them! :)

i stuck to medieval ii for the human vs human campaigns only . the ones we did here + some years ago on the other forum . tho as the beauty of the original rome was lost in medieval ii already +non of the games thereafter -to me- in beauty made it there either, medieval ii was the final one i really got into. but yea if there was a shot at human vs human campaign battles rome 2 was the one for me then. im more into antiquity really. also more into swords but muscets or even canons.
    as for pausing the game when needed- yea i came from an original rome human vs human battle online perspective here. there i always felt the need for pausing as im just not that fast with the cursor. perhaps im just too much into detail tho. not sure really whether the ideas of urs would actually soften that need for pausing but yea then again y not giving things a good try. i ll be diving into things if there is a cheap rome 2 around on ebay or somewhere else
    as for ideas for overall campain rules. u could just check the cog3 threat on this forum here. im pretty much okay with this canon but yea some perhaps is up for discussion. im always open to new ideas. also im not really sure actually whether the ones from cog are still applicable or relevant as to rome 2 tho. perhaps u @Nightbringer out of ur cog experience would have an idea whether the cog canon still was relevant or applicable to rome2? that s if u acutally ever did rome2. thank u

also guys Merry Christmas +Happy Holidays

DraMatiQue

Free Mixtape Download

Silver,

I was unfamiliar with what cog3 was so I scanned .ORG and I found Clash of Gods3. I'll assume that is what you were talking about. I definitely would not have any problem with those type of campaign rules, those rules looked quite fun. Obviously the big difference in the newer games is we can play the campaign live online together.

As far as Rome2 goes, may I suggest Attila instead. There seams to be a recurring problem with how CA puts out their games. Napoleon Total War was obviously supposed to be what Empire Total War was not, and Attila Total War is everything that Rome 2 failed in. Attila is an overall much more polished game as far as game mechanics, graphics, political, economical. It is far above and beyond better than Rome2, imo.

Also, like I said in an earlier post there are amazing modders who are hard at work making CA's already good Attila into an even better Attila.

Two mods in particular. One called " Ancient Empires" will actually transport Rome 2 into Attila. I, like you, enjoy the Antiquity time period the most, so I am definitely looking forward to this mod. The other, since you are a Med2 " loyalist " :), is Medieval Kingdoms Total War. They are creating an entire new campaign out of Attila. Basically, they are making Medieval 3 Total War playable in Attila Total War.

So, my suggestion for you would be to wait until you find an acceptable price for Attila Total War, not Rome 2. Probably by the time they do lower the prices these two massive project mods will have been released and then we would be able to play a Rome2 style campaign using Attila, or even a Medieval campaign.

Thanks again for responding to my posts, I know I'm a little long winded at times(no wonder my wife tells me I talk too much!), so I apologize.

I look forward to the time when we can begin a very fun head to head mp campaign.

Merry Christmas to you and have a great and safe New Year.

Having never played Rome 2 as a multiplayer campaign, I'm really not sure what type of rules would be needed. I would suggest just trying to set up a couple of one off battles in the game/mod you decide on first though just to make sure things are working ok, and the play style will work for both of you. I would also say you are going to NEED mods for this type of gameplay, because in newer TW games the combats resolve so quickly that any kind of deliberate non-sprinting maneuvers won't get in position until they are already over.

As to what game to play, I am a fan of antiquity myself, but actually found Shogun 2 to be by far the most fun TW game since M2TW. Good luck guys, and happy holidays!

SilverShield,

Just in case you haven't seen this. TW "on sale now!"

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/total-war/

thank u guys for ur response. im still not really sure how this simultaneous campaigning could tech wise actually work out in a decent way but yea then again im not that tech savy really

as for -attila- . if it was the best option, attila should be okay. i took from ur post tho that there s no need for rome2 then so atila itself should work.
    thank u for that link. it s just that im a lil old school when it s about things to last. i rather opt for a very physical hard copy of those things important enough to last a lil longer. im somewhat strap for money this month tho but im pretty confident, february come, things will improve

also sorry for the -cog- abbreviation. it somewhat became natural with me. good thing tho if this canon would be okay with u. also i think this idea of Nightbrigner of just testing out whether we really are compatible battle wise would be good. if so perhaps u @Nightbringer could act as an admin sort of once things really took off?

also happy new year of coz guys im sure the holidays had been good to u

DraMatiQue

Free Mixtape Download

SilverShield,

No rush on getting Attila. We've got plenty of time. Like I wrote earlier, the two interesting mod projects being made for Attila that would fit our desired time periods are pretty massive. I would not be shocked if it took up to a year to release them.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm a Total War nut, it's pretty much the only computer game that I truly enjoy.

I'll be here until another game company creates a game similar in size and scope to TW and steals away my purchasing dollars from Creative Assembly. I doubt that will happen, I'm shocked another company hasn't done so already. We must really be niche type customers.

im not really sure how big this entire franchise actually is business wise. tho perhaps it also is the community of guys that alter things to the best that made the franchise big. then again since there s that many guys around to improve things there s no need for the company itself to improve. but yea there s pros, there s cons. im okay with it as long as we still have a shot at some enjoyable moments. im sure this new way of human vs human campaign battles really could lift things up

DraMatiQue

Free Mixtape Download