Thread: Senate Missions

Default Senate Missions

Is there any order to the Senate Missions?

I've found if I develop Julii along the western side of Italy the missions are different from those in a campaign when I concentrate on the Eastern side. Is it random?
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Default Re: Senate Missions

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Furze View Post
    Is there any order to the Senate Missions?

I've found if I develop Julii along the western side of Italy the missions are different from those in a campaign when I concentrate on the Eastern side. Is it random?
    I don't know but I hope your observation pans out. It would sure help. Most of the time the Senate requests seem rather ---- odd.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Random. You can afford to ignore some of them early in the game...just don't make them consecutive. Port blockades against my biggest trading partner, capturing X settlement when I'm not near ready or fully committed elsewhere are two I regularly ignore...at least temporarily. Only once have I ever incurred SPQR wrath. The Senate docked me 250,000 denarii for not securing Pontus as a Protectorate during a Brutii campaign. I didn't have a diplomat with enough influence to make the deal without incurring really stupid conditions (like giving up several provinces).

The money loss hurt for awhile, but I solved the problem with Pontus by wiping them out

.....and I made sure Rome was the first Roman city to fall when civil war finally came
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-09-2016 at 15:09.
    High Plains Drifter

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

I always completely ignored the Senate beyond the first mission for the Julii & Scipii (for the Brutii it makes no sense to go for that dirthole on the dalmatian coast, it's best to sail straight for Sparta). With me they never went past threats. At one point they threatened that some pencil pusher would check on my finances, but the guy was from my family so everything turned out clean.

Just ignore senate... if they don't give you a really easy task like blocking a port then u can happily ignore them and continue on your grand plans.

Depending on the difficulty level, you cannot completely ignore the SPQR. I pointed out earlier, that you can get docked a considerable amount of money by ignoring or failing a Senate mission. That said, you can pick and choose which missions to complete, and ignore the rest. Early in the game the added money or army units you get from certain missions can be quite helpful.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-31-2016 at 17:39.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Depending on the difficulty level, you cannot completely ignore the SPQR. I pointed out earlier, that you can get docked a considerable amount of money by ignoring or failing a Senate mission. That said, you can pick and choose which missions to complete, and ignore the rest. Early in the game the added money or army units you get from certain missions can be quite helpful.
    I completed hardly even a quarter of tasks Senate send me, and on medium diffictulity I captured entire Greek and Macedon without money or units sent by senate... mercenary hoplites legit ?

All I am saying is that there are benefits to completing Senate missions. On Hard or Very Hard, your income from trade and farming is reduced, so Senate gifts of money or units is welcome. The type of units received varies, but sometimes you get a gem like Sarmatian Cavalry or War Elephants. An overlooked benefit is the increased chance one of your generals gets appointed to an office which boosts one of their three primary traits, with obvious benefits.

Do the missions, or don't...players choice. But there is an upside to completing missions
    High Plains Drifter

At first I try to complete the missions, but right from the beginning, if I don't deem it to my advantage to carry out a mission, I don't. Let's say they tell me to go after somebody I am neutral with, maybe blockade their port. If I think I am better served by not going to war with that faction, I ignore the order. If I feel I am better off being at war with them, I would have attacked them already. Rarely do their timetables of missions coincide with my decisions to go to war with a faction.

I also don't carry out missions against my allies, say an assassination. They rarely tell you to go after your allies, but since my goals and the Senate's goals don't always coincide, I only do what I feel helps me out.

Missions such as trade rights or map info I try to carry out to the best of my ability.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

I don't know i played Brutii and then i goed to sicily to conquer it and then senate told me to take the settlement (carthage one i don't know the name and i did already take greek's one) , So i think its like following your path of taking settlements im not really sure.

So i think its like following your path of taking settlements im not really sure
    Senate missions can often be in the opposite direction from your expansion path. Sometimes they will ask you to blockade the port of a good trading partner. Sometimes it's an assassination or some irrational diplomatic mission. The point is that you can do the ones that benefit you and ignore the rest, with next to no bad consequences
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Sorry im just Testing out something on this Site ^^

Quote Originally Posted by HeirOfGreece View Post
    I don't know i played Brutii and then i goed to sicily to conquer it and then senate told me to take the settlement (carthage one i don't know the name and i did already take greek's one) , So i think its like following your path of taking settlements im not really sure.
    It is not always in your line of attack. They will have you go after Syracuse (Scipii usually take that one quickly anyway), so rarely do they want me to go after Lilybaem. They eventually do if Scipii have not yet taken it. As Brutii, your main focus will be to wipe out Greece. Greece is also where the money will pour in from, especially if you have Turkey or are trading with whoever has it. It will almost always end up being Egypt. That is why I am never in a hurry to go to war with Egypt, I can build finances while I am preparing to attack Turkey. One thing, Egypt will almost never violate an alliance (at least in my experience).

Usually the Senate will tell you to blockade somebody, then if you do, they want you to go after one of that faction's settlements. Sometimes you won't be able to make it, say they say to blockade Eburacum (in Scotland), and you might have a settlement in Spain, but no navy. It seems as you become less popular with them, the missions will be harder to accomplish. You know how to check your popularity with them and the people, right?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    You know how to check your popularity with them and the people, right?
    Yeah, i do. I don't need Senate's popularity, i just want people's popularity so i could take Rome . Sorry for late reply i haven't check the Org for weeks ^^

i just want people's popularity so i could take Rome
    You need to capture 30 or so provinces before you start to see your popularity with the people rise, and the SPQR begin to despise you. Sometimes it takes 35 or 40 provinces....
    High Plains Drifter

The problem with my last Brutii campaign, I was powerful, but both the Senate and people loved me, and I was not ready when I got the chance for power. I did not get the order for my faction leader to commit suicide till something like 27 BC. I might have been able to attack before, since the people loved me, but I was waiting for another chance for power or the suicide order, I don't know if I could have attacked before then anyway. However, usually the Senate hates you a lot sooner. I like reading the different descriptions at the different levels of popularity, their way of putting it.

Ive never been punished by the senate, and the only missions they send me is blockade port and take settlement, nothing interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Ive never been punished by the senate, and the only missions they send me is blockade port and take settlement, nothing interesting.
    They don't punish you until you get too popular, then they will carry through on their threat to investigate you or penalize you or whatever. Unless they threaten to investigate you and the quaestor belongs to your faction, then nothing happens, though they will mention your friends in powerful places. But normally they don't punish you.