Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: SYRIA thread

Default Re: Syria

Nah, even pro-rebels admit that daesh is getting owned.
    https://twitter.com/Zendetta2022/sta...06313949548544

Meanwhile the hypocrisy of the media is hilarious. In Aleppo, we were all prepared for a new Srebrenica, Grozny and even Holocaust. A 7-year old explained why she wanted a third WW to save Aleppo from the bad Russians.
    Then Al-Qaeda got smashed and no genocide happened. The reports of 80 civilians killed were quickly followed by a mass-execution of captives by Al-Qaeda and the ex-moderates, currently beheaders of children.
    Meanwhile, Deir el-Zour is besieged by the modern Nazis for several years and no tear has been shed. Two Shia towns are besieged by Al-Qaeda in Idlib for years, again no tears, no Banas.
    Not the first time:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6889921.html

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Nah, even pro-rebels admit that daesh is getting owned.
    https://twitter.com/Zendetta2022/sta...06313949548544
    According to this
    http://syria.liveuamap.com/
    I wouldn't be so sure as to speak of ISIS's defeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    According to this
    http://syria.liveuamap.com/
    I wouldn't be so sure as to speak of ISIS's defeat.
    It's too early to say anything. However, livemap is rubbish.
    Made by Ukrainians to counter Russian lies, as the founders said.
    Translation: We only post tweets that fit our narrative, which is, bash Russia as much as possible.
    http://www.citylab.com/politics/2014...kraine/375178/

It's too early to say anything. However, livemap is rubbish.
    Made by Ukrainians to counter Russian lies, as the founders said.
    Translation: We only post tweets that fit our narrative, which is, bash Russia as much as possible.
    http://www.citylab.com/politics/2014...kraine/375178/
    Perhaps for you countering lies equals bashing someone. Not so for me. You may offer any translations you like, but this site was (and is) accurate in presenting the map of Donbas conflict (where it could be said to be taking sides) and it was often at variance with the official information from Ukrainian authorities. It was also accurate (e.i. in accordance with other sources) in presenting the Aleppo episode. That is why I assume it should be accurate about the situation in question where it has no side to cheer for.

One may also doubt the accuracy of sources you refer to.

So everything you said after the first sentence may be considered rubbish as well.

Yet I agree with the initial statement with a reservation that ISIS has conquered some ground there and is pushing on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Anyone following the talks in Astana? The Syrian regime have explained that the last joint statement of the Astana talks does not include the mention of a secular Syria, because the idea was vetoed by the rebels and Turkey.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

From the Middle East rumour mill: Two years ago, the Jordanian regime spent a lot of effort to distance themselves from rumours of Jordanian-Russian military corporation in Syria.

Maybe that is why the Jordanians are not talking about the current scuttlebutt; that the Jordanian military is now coordinating military actions with the Syrian regime army.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dâriûsh View Post
    From the Middle East rumour mill: Two years ago, the Jordanian regime spent a lot of effort to distance themselves from rumours of Jordanian-Russian military corporation in Syria.

Maybe that is why the Jordanians are not talking about the current scuttlebutt; that the Jordanian military is now coordinating military actions with the Syrian regime army.
    For months now I have thought of the Syrian rebellion against Assad as a failed effort. Russian air power turned the tide in his favor and Assade never really lost sight of his objective -- he never meant to deal with ISIS until the internal threat was quelled.

If Jordan is supporting Assad, I suspect it is more on the basis of "dealing with the facts that are" rather than any genuine feeling of support for Assad -- the effort to oust him has failed. You don't have to actually like your neighbor, but you need some form of cordial relationship to get through the week.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

It seems that the SDF forces which are comprised of mostly Kurdish fighters are now only 10km North from Isis capital in Syria, Raqqa.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    It seems that the SDF forces which are comprised of mostly Kurdish fighters are now only 10km North from Isis capital in Syria, Raqqa.
    They've been carrying much of the water in the ISIS campaign, I wonder if Trump will let them set up a Kurdistan in NE Syria and NW Iraq? My bet is that NATO and we will screw them out of the prize again to placate Turkey.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    They've been carrying much of the water in the ISIS campaign, I wonder if Trump will let them set up a Kurdistan in NE Syria and NW Iraq? My bet is that NATO and we will screw them out of the prize again to placate Turkey.
    They seem to be working quite independently. They are working with Syrian rebel factions against ISIS, but they have recently also launched an operation towards liberating Deir Ez Zor, where ISIS have been besieging an Assad regime garrison for ages. It would seem that they are more or less neutral in Syrian civil war, while supporting any anti ISIS efforts both in Syria and Iraq.

The main problem for Kurdish independent state is of course Turkey. Turkey would feel threatened with a Kurdish state at their Southern border and apparently one of the main reasons for launching an attack against ISIS at Al Bab was to make sure that the Syrian Kurdish forces would not take control of all areas at the border of Turkey and Syria. Until now Turkey has been more friendly with the Iraq Kurdish and more resentful towards the Syrian Kurds, apparently in order to divide the two, but it would seem that have not worked very well.

My bet is that like before, the outside powers will see Turkey as more important partner compared to any Kurdish state, so im afraid what ever independent realm they are going to form. They have to carve it out and defend themselves.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 02-11-2017 at 15:40.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I think a typical US/NATO administration would, if the Kurds made some sort of fait accompli toward conglomeration, insist in the quorum on tentative recognition and diplomatic engagement, i.e. everyone leave it alone. It wouldn't be a guarantee or endorsement, but a show of preference that the event be allowed to move into status quo.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Iraqi and Syrian Kurds hate each other and with a very good reason. Peshmerga is an undemocratic, conservative force happy with the status quo, which is why Turkey cooperates with them, while YPG/PKK are the last remnant of 20th century leftist partisans. Their ideology is simply incompatible.

Iraqi and Syrian Kurds hate each other and with a very good reason. Peshmerga is an undemocratic, conservative force happy with the status quo, which is why Turkey cooperates with them, while YPG/PKK are the last remnant of 20th century leftist partisans. Their ideology is simply incompatible.
    That's partly true, but more to the point is the fact that "Kurds" in Iraq and Syria have long-standing cultural and linguistic divergences between them, and the current distribution of Turkish and Iraqi forces in the north of the countries makes unification even more impossible than in the past. What's not outside possibility is an independent Iraqi Kurdistan declared within the next few years, and NATO persuading Turkey that recognizing it would be in Turkish interests. It would depend on the situation between Syria, Iraq, and Iran by the cessation of major hostilities.
    Vitiate Man.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

You also need to take into account the deteriorating political situation in Turkey - in a couple of years Turkey may no longer be a viable partner or member of NATO.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    You also need to take into account the deteriorating political situation in Turkey - in a couple of years Turkey may no longer be a viable partner or member of NATO.
    I fear you are correct, but suspect your timeline is optimistic.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I fear you are correct, but suspect your timeline is optimistic.
    Oh no, Turkey will be a basket case by the end of the year, or not.

The Syrian Civil War has a few years to grind on yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Oh no, Turkey will be a basket case by the end of the year, or not.

The Syrian Civil War has a few years to grind on yet though.
    You mis-understood my response. By 'too optimistic,' I was referring to Turkey's ceasing to be an effective allow a few years from now. I suspect it will be there in 6-15 months.

You are correct as to the length of the Syrian Civil War, I believe, but I think the decision is already rendered and the rest, however lengthy, no more than denouement.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whatever the outcome in Syria, there will be no solution. It is just one state amongst many, all of which range from moderately unstable to not really states at all but externally stuck together.

All sides are killing civilians and prisoners. All are using human shields. All are in essence doing whatever they can to win - as always happens in a war - just when the West does it we call it such things as collateral damage / faulty intelligence or somesuch phrase which apparently makes everything OK.

NATO needs Turkey and we'd rather they were in "our team" than not - even if they are an authoritarian dictatorship than look to Russia / China - realpolitik trumps morals.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Maybe something akin to this should be done with borders of Iraq and Syria:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunni-shia-kurd_state_crop.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	19464

Al Assad is Alawite, so maybe the Alawite state should be named as Assadlandia or similar..
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

Turkey / Iran / Iraq would not want a kurdish state that other areas might wish to join.

They might all be Sunni, but they also have other differences and would Iraqis / Syrians want to be together?

Peace is generally the aftermath of when one lot wipe out the other lot, or at the very least displace all of them elsewhere.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Can't tell if Turkey would balk, or welcome the opportunity.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

In 1922, Turkish President Mustafa Kemal Ataturk dispatched his foreign minister, Mustafa Ismet Pasha, to Lausanne to save the fledgling Turkish republic from the jaws of voracious European colonialists. Two years earlier, the Treaty of Sevres had dismembered the Ottoman Empire, ceding big chunks of territory to the leading Allied powers along with the Greeks, Armenians and Kurds. Deeply traumatized, Turkey — under the nationalist command of Ataturk — was determined to return to the negotiating table, not as supplicant but as Europe's equal, to re-carve its post-colonial boundaries in the 1923 Treaty of Lausanne. Though the country regained control of Anatolia and the strategic straits through the deal, Turkey left some critical unfinished business at Lausanne: the former Ottoman vilayet of Mosul.

The Turks demanded that the British, represented by Foreign Secretary Lord George Nathaniel Curzon, return the expansive territory, which stretched from Anatolia beyond the mountains of upper Kurdistan. From there, it followed the Tigris southeast from the Sinjar Mountains near the Syrian border, across the Nineveh plain through Mosul to Arbil and Kirkuk before butting up against the Zagros Mountains along the Iranian border. Ismet Pasha insisted that this swath of land was the natural dividing line between Anatolia and Mesopotamia, a strategic frontier where most inhabitants were intricately bound with Turkey by trade, tongue and culture. "Mosul has become more closely connected … with the ports of the Mediterranean than with those of the Persian Gulf," he argued. The region's oil wealth, in no small part, influenced the Turks' interest in Mosul. At the same time, they were also trying to extend the strategic depth of their new republic as far as possible, knowing that an array of adversaries could pit ethnic minorities in the Turkish periphery against the newborn state.

Lord Curzon, armed with his own demographic and ethnographic studies, struck down the Turkish argument at every turn. London could not afford to let the threat of Turkey's expansionism thwart its own goal of establishing a strategic foothold in Mesopotamia and monopolizing the region's energy resources. Looking at the region demographically, Lord Curzon saw the Mosul vilayet as a land full of Arabs and ethnic minorities who were more willing to fight the Turks than to assimilate with them. "Why should Mosul city be handed back to the Turks? It is an Arab town built by Arabs. During centuries of Turkish occupation it has never lost its Arab character," he maintained. He also insisted that the Turkish argument for a natural mountainous buffer along the Sinjar-Mosul-Arbil-Kirkuk line was disingenuous:

"Ismet Pasha has suggested that the Jebel Hamrin will make a good defensive boundary. But it is well known that this is not a great range of mountains, but merely a series of rolling downs. Is it not obvious that a Turkish army placed at Mosul would have Baghdad at its mercy, and could cut off the wheat supply almost at a moment's notice? It could practically reduce Bagdad by starvation."

Ismet Pasha, known for driving Lord Curzon mad with his penchant for wearing earplugs while his British counterpart spoke, responded with utmost innocence:

"Turkey, which has now ceased to be an Empire and become a national State, cannot think of attacking and conquering a country whose population belongs to a different race… [T]he Turkish and Arab people who have lived together like brothers for centuries would obviously never think of attacking each other when left to themselves."

London and Ankara sparred for another three years over the Mosul Question, as it was called. The League of Nations finally put the matter to rest in 1926, and Turkey begrudgingly ceded rights to the Mosul vilayet to the British Mandate in Iraq in exchange for a few economic concessions. But Turkey's obsession with Mosul and its surroundings never ceased.
    For Ankara, this land is either a buffer in Turkish hands or a menace in the hands of its adversaries. And between Tehran, Damascus, Moscow, the PKK and the Islamic State, Turkey has no shortage of foes, each of which has no shortage of proxies to weaken the Turkish state.

Well beyond the conflict of the day, Turkish and Persian spheres of influence have been colliding for centuries over the Mosul vilayet. As Turkey deepens its presence there, chipping away at Iran's Shiite crescent, that competition is bound to intensify. The Turks and Iranians are not abiding by the political borders of a contemporary map. Neither do they intend to draw up a new one, post-Sykes Picot, with states neatly repartitioned along ethno-sectarian lines that would threaten their own territorial integrity, particularly when it comes to the Kurds. On this fluid battleground, cranes, tanks and cash will shape the ebb and flow of competition among the strongest regional players, while the weak and fractious remnants of former empires try to stoke their own nationalist embers in defense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fMoaMvF.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	19465  
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Turkey / Iran / Iraq would not want a kurdish state that other areas might wish to join.
    Iraqi Kurdistan is practically independent as of now and they seem to have a quite good relationship with the current Shia majority Iraq government.

They might all be Sunni, but they also have other differences and would Iraqis / Syrians want to be together?
    Both are Arabs, more so in the non coastal areas and in matter of fact during 70´s there was serious plans and talks between Syria and Iraq concerning unification.

Peace is generally the aftermath of when one lot wipe out the other lot, or at the very least displace all of them elsewhere.

Maybe in totalwar games, hardly in reality.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Can't tell if Turkey would balk, or welcome the opportunity.

Saudi´s might have a one or two concerns with such eventuality. Though it would offer a very interesting dilemma for West, deciding between Turkey and Saudi´s which are a more important partner.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 02-14-2017 at 17:46.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Maybe in totalwar games, hardly in reality.
    So... After WW2 when all the Germans were deported out of territories no longer part of Germany they were happy with this? The current slaughter by ISIS is making the population a lot more homogeneous.

So... After WW2 when all the Germans were deported out of territories no longer part of Germany they were happy with this? The current slaughter by ISIS is making the population a lot more homogeneous.

On the other hand, now you have huge displaced populations concentrated amongst each other that are highly heterogeneous. There has been cooperation so far, but what happens when it comes time for resettlement amongst the bones of the moribund Islamic State, with Sunnis getting pick of the land? Especially with a former metropolis like Mosul, with the minorities at their armed peak and waiting right in the wings behind the national forces? You just know there are going to be reprisals against Sunni collaborators or perceived collaborators, which will then reverberate throughout the region...

Ethnic cleansing has formed a bedrock for modern European peace only in conjunction with numerous political and economic factors, decades of careful compromise and reconciliation under the pressure of superpower dominance. I don't think this will be replicated in West Asia - and we may be moving out of this stage in European history anyway.

(And it's questionable how much stability cleansing Greeks and Armenians has rendered Turkey...)
    Vitiate Man.

Most recent Assad interview.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I got the feeling that the interviewer couldn't handle Assad and wasn't properly responsive regarding crucial evasions and rhetorical sleights.

As for Assad, his voice and accent remind me of someone...
    Vitiate Man.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Most recent Assad interview.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I got the feeling that the interviewer couldn't handle Assad and wasn't properly responsive regarding crucial evasions and rhetorical sleights.

As for Assad, his voice and accent remind me of someone...
    Yeah, the interviewer wasn't good enough. Poor choice of questions didn't help.

You mis-understood my response. By 'too optimistic,' I was referring to Turkey's ceasing to be an effective allow a few years from now. I suspect it will be there in 6-15 months.

You are correct as to the length of the Syrian Civil War, I believe, but I think the decision is already rendered and the rest, however lengthy, no more than denouement.
    Oh no, I understood perfectly, that was why I said Turkey will be abasket case by the end of the year, or won't. It will depend on the outcome of the Referendum.

What questions were permitted? What was the venue? What constraints in terms of time or content were placed on the journalist at the outset?

If I go on "Hardball," Mathews can ask me almost anything and ridicule me if I don't answer. I doubt this journalist was in anything like such a position.

Note Monty/Sarmation, that my comments do not undercut your qualitative assessments of the interview. I just put them out there as a reminder that many interviews have constraints that limit them from the outset.

Palmyra liberated!

Great news, I don't think that they will be dumb enough to lose it for a third time. The V Corps regrouped by Russia and Iran marched over daesh quite easily. The first pics of the freed archaeological site:

Who can recognize the patch in the soldier's shoulder?

Last edited by Crandar; 03-03-2017 at 00:46.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast