Thread: Futuramafia

Default Futuramafia

This game is based on Futurama, a sci-fi cartoon created by the same guys who made that one show with yellow people1. The series follows the adventures of a late-20th-century New York City pizza delivery boy, Philip J. Fry, who, after being unwittingly cryogenically frozen for one thousand years, finds employment at Planet Express, an interplanetary delivery company in the retro-futuristic 31st century.

Knowledge of the series or characters is by no means required to play the game, but you should watch the show because it's awesome and hilarious and award-winning.

1Which sounds oddly racist when taken out of context.

---------------

Professor Farnsworth: "Who else has a question for the What-If Machine? Scruffy? Fry?"

Fry: "Um, I have a question. What if Bender was really giant?"

Leela: "You idiot, we already saw that."

Fry: "I know. I liked it. I wanna see it again."

Professor Farnsworth: "We're not seeing it again! Ask something less stupid."

Fry: "Oh, alright, how about this? What if some people gathered together for a mafia jiggy?"

Professor Farnsworth: "That question is less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way."

The Professor turns towards the What-If Machine.

Professor Farnsworth: "What if a moderately large number of people gathered together in a manner conducive to a mafia game?"

Now that's a clear-cut situation with the promise of a good time! Tell your friends.

-----------

You must read these rules before playing.

Even if your ass is shiny and metal.

Setup

~ The Town fights to keep the status quo in New New York. They seek to eliminate the mafia and any hostile third-parties. (Note - there may or may not be more than one town-aligned faction, though there will only be one main "Town" faction.) A sample townie Role PM is shown below:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    character quote

[img]character picture[/img]

character name

Player: name

Role: name (http://theinfosphere.org/name)

Faction: TOWN

Team Victory Conditions:

The Town achieves victory based on its ability to achieve the goals listed below.

- The Mafia are eliminated.

- All hostile Third-Parties are eliminated.

- At least one member of the Town survives the game.

Abilities:

Vanilla. You may continue to post in the game thread after your death. More details will come if/when you die.

Rule Reminders:

- No private communication of any kind!

- Do not edit your posts!

- You ARE allowed to publicly quote your Role PM. If you choose to do so, remove the quote tags and instead post it inside spoiler tags (for ease of reading).

- However, you cannot quote any other private communications with me. Anything else I communicate to you in private must be paraphrased and not directly quoted.

Have fun!

~ The Mafia are mustache-twirling villains who seek to rule New New York. They must eliminate the town and any hostile third-parties.

~ There may or may not be Third-Party factions in the game. This may take the form of additional mafia teams, serial killers, or something else. They win by eliminating the town, mafia, and any other hostile third-parties.

~ There may or may not be Neutral factions in the game. Neutral parties have their own goals. They are not a threat to mafia, town, or third-party victories.

~ There may or may not be factions which do not exactly fit into any of the above categories.

~ This game features special abilities and unique characters. Most players will be vanilla. There are no jesters, cults, or lynch-resistant roles.

~ You cannot brute force the game using a spreadsheet, mass role reveal, or your knowledge of the universe. Roles have solid cover PMs where appropriate.

~ Character name and faction will be immediately revealed when a player dies.

Posting and Communication

~ Posting is allowed during both the Day and Night phases.

~ You are allowed to post your Role PM in the thread. Mafia have good cover roles, so these prove nothing. Please spoiler it and remove the quote tags if you choose to do so.

~ Private communication with other players is forbidden, unless I explicitly tell you otherwise. You cannot privately talk about the game to living players, dead players, or people who are not in the game. This includes private messages, QuickTopics, instant messaging, and so on. The only person you can talk to about the game privately is me, or your fellow players in a host-created QuickTopic I give you access to.

~ Do not edit your posts for any reason. If you edit a post containing a vote, that vote will be rendered invalid.

~ Do not quote any private communications or post any QuickTopic links in the public game thread. Do not directly quote anything I say to you in private (with the exception of your Role PM). This also applies to screenshots.

~ For the most part, dead players cannot post in the thread. Giving a thumbs-up when a bad guy dies, grumbling about your death, pointing out a mistake in the tally, etc. are generally fine, but avoid anything which might influence living players (unless I explicitly tell you otherwise).

~ You are expected to vote each day, and post at least once - more is preferred, but that is the absolute minimum. If you fail to meet those requirements, I reserve the right to remove you from the game (via substitution or modkill). Do not talk about substitutions or modkills in the thread.

Day and Night

~ Day is typically around 48 hours (always at least 40), and Night is usually about 24 hours (always at least 20).

~ There are no abilities which affect deadlines.

~ Phases may be extended for whatever reason, but they will never end prematurely.

~ A timer showing the exact amount of time remaining in the phase will be provided at each phase update and with each posted tally.

~ Vote tallies will be posted frequently throughout the Day. Players are free to make and post their own tallies, but I will not use them and they should be taken with a grain of salt.

~ During the Day, players vote for each other (e.g. Vote: Zack). Vote tags are mandatory, a simple bolding will not suffice. Unvoting is not required - simply make a new vote. Voting for No Lynch is allowed. Abstaining is not allowed at any time.

~ There may or may not be abilities which can be used during the Day phase.

~ During the Night phase, players send in night actions if they have an ability which requires one. Night action feedback will be minimal, and you may not always receive a PM from me.

I think that covers it. If you have any questions, CTRL+F the rules first, then ask me (IN PRIVATE, not in the thread).
    Last edited by Zack; 09-07-2016 at 01:03.

Default Re: Futuramafia

The game is designed for ~30 players. I can cut the size down to 25, but doing so would require removing some cool stuff from the game. There are some pretty unique mechanics and roles in the game which might not be seen without a full roster. If there's an overwhelming amount of interest, I can go above 30.

If you're interested, indicate it in this thread.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This looks real nice. In for sure.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    - If/when you die, you cannot post in the thread unless it does not influence the living players in any way, or if Zack, the game host, specifically tells you otherwise.

~ For the most part, dead players cannot post in the thread. Giving a thumbs-up when a bad guy dies, grumbling about your death, pointing out a mistake in the tally, etc. are generally fine, but avoid anything which might influence living players (unless I explicitly tell you otherwise).
    So I'll be honest, I'm kind at the point where this is a no-deal for me. Game otherwise looks plenty interesting enough, but I think I've had enough of games where the dead are functionally booted from the game. It's not a game style I can really get behind. Sorry, but if you intend to keep this as the format for the deceased, I will have to pass.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    So I'll be honest, I'm kind at the point where this is a no-deal for me. Game otherwise looks plenty interesting enough, but I think I've had enough of games where the dead are functionally booted from the game. It's not a game style I can really get behind. Sorry, but if you intend to keep this as the format for the deceased, I will have to pass.
    Look at the sample role pm ability and consider that most players are vanilla. The rule is really just to keep power roles from talking after death, but I can change it if people want.
    Last edited by Zack; 02-17-2016 at 04:33.

I actually like that.

VT getting the ability to talk after death is fine cause they have no power, but Power roles obviously can't because they have a power.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    I actually like that.

VT getting the ability to talk after death is fine cause they have no power, but Power roles obviously can't because they have a power.
    Yeah, that was the idea. VT "ability" is they get to talk after death.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Look at the sample role pm ability and consider that most players are vanilla. The rule is really just to keep power roles from talking after death, but I can change it if people want.
    Ah, I misunderstood what was meant by that. It came off to me as "townies can do some basic cheerleading and roles can't do anything", from how I read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    I actually disagree with this. I've always just run the rule that, as a power role you can't divulge information that wouldn't otherwise be common knowledge, and asked people to abide by the spirit of that rules. Haven't ever had any issues with that. Granted, hoping people have abided by the spirit of the rules has bitten me in the butt on *other* occasions, but .

I just feel very strongly that people aren't shut out of the game. You want activity, discussion, all that jazz? Don't lock people out of the game because someone rolled random.org and wheeled their fate on the first night/day.

Anyways, given that clarification, I suppose I'll toss my hat in for interest.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.