Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

The Legislator of Lol Member Stildawn's Avatar

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

Damn I missed this didn't I lol.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Damn I missed this didn't I lol.
    You can still get in on the betting, if you want.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Waiting on @Jolt and @Myrddraal.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I did send you my moves for Day 4 last Monday. I just resent them.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I did send you my moves for Day 4 last Monday. I just resent them.
    you realize it's day 5?

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

dates, schmates
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Blog Entries

All orders received, give me two hours.

Blog Entries

Day 5 results

With four rounds in the book, the contestants have officially entered the midgame portion of the round robin. Now the great shuffling begins: who can withstand the grueling day-after-day pressure and claw a way into the top four (or, at least, out of the dreaded #13 spot)? Those who have done their research, those who can read their opponent, those who have the mental strength, will do well here. As the old saying goes, the cream rises to the top, and everybody's hoping to be the gourmet French crème au lait rather than the store-brand ReadyWhip.

After his win against surprise leader seireikhaan yesterday, Csargo is the man on a well-deserved bye. He takes his place and sits back, ready to observe, as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first match of the day sees a battle of the basement as Zack takes on fellow bottom feeder Al Sipsclar, in a match that could be crucial in determining who ends up with the dreaded #13 seed. Despite them both having the same amount of points to their name, Zach is listed as the slight favorite over Al Sipsclar due to his experience and the fact that he's already had a bye. The bookies are proven wrong again, though, as Al Sips quickly defeats his opponent via a timely throw of Paper covering Zack's Rock. With the outright loss, now Zack is really in trouble and must hope that Sigurd loses to keep pace.
    Al Sipsclar defeats Zack

First-place atheotes battles Jolt in the next match. The former superfan has put up a good showing so far, having accumulated the second most points of anyone who's already had a bye, but atheotes is out for revenge after his loss to BSmith the previous day. Jolt tries to point out that he literally had nothing to do with the loss in question and thus "revenge" is a questionable term at best but this fails to deter atheotes in the slightest. His Rock smashes through Jolt's Scissors, ensuring that atheotes would once again have at least a share of first place.
    atheotes defeats Jolt

With two losses, a draw, a win, and no byes each, edse and BSmith have matched each other in results so far and are looking for some separation. A win would most likely keep them in the slog at the middle of the leaderboard, which isn't ideal, but it's certainly preferable to being near the bottom. Both men are to be denied, though, with edse and BSmith first throwing Paper and then following it up with a double Rock. The end result leaves neither contestant satisfied, as their slog continues.
    edse and BSmith draw

Up next is Sigurd taking on El Barto. If you had told the oddsmakers before the start of the tournament that when these two meet on Day 5 their positions on the leaderboard would be one point behind the leader and then tied for last, they would have agreed, but they probably would have put Sigurd as the one higher up the board than Barto. His campaign has creaked to a surprisingly slow start and, without a win to his name yet, people are starting to wonder if the Dragonslayer has lost his edge. Today, though, he shows them he won't go down without a fight, his Rock smashing Barto's Scissors, leading him to pump his fist in elation. Meanwhile, Barto's uneven campaign continues. He has never drawn and never gotten the same result two days in a row.
    Sigurd defeats El Barto

Myrddraal, trying to reverse his recent skid, faces off against surprise leader seireikhaan next. A win here would really boost his confidence, but khaan, coming off his first loss of the tournament yesterday is in no mood to make it easy for him. On their first throw, both men show Rock. Myrddraal looks deep in thought; khaan appears supremely unconcerned. At the end of the day it seems as if Myrddraal has out-thought himself: taking a gamble, he switches to Scissors, only to groan as he sees that khaan has stuck with Rock. khaan has kept pace with atheotes for first place.
    seireikhaan defeats Myrddraal

The final matchup of the day pits defending champion Visorslash against Winston Hughes. Visor, in third at the start of the day and seeing outright wins by the two people ahead of him, knows he has some work to do, but Winston is a dangerous opponent who has only lost once so far (and to atheotes at that). Winston steps into position with a knowing smirk on his face - has he gotten into Visor's head? The result - his Rock defeating Visor's Scissors - only serves to intensify suspicion. With this victory over Visor, Winston has confirmed himself a force to be reckoned with in the tournament, perhaps in the tier below khaan and atheotes. Meanwhile, the defending champion will look to rebound next match against BSmith.
    Winston Hughes defeats Visorslash

Standings through Day 5:

*seireikhaan: 4
    *atheotes: 4
    *Winston Hughes: 3
    *Visorslash: 2.5
    El Barto: 2
    Csargo: 2
    Sigurd: 2
    *Myrddraal: 2
    *Al Sipsclar: 2
    *edse: 2
    *BSmith: 2
    Jolt: 1.5
    Zack: 1

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 6!

Day 6 matchups:

Zack vs. edse
    Sigurd vs. atheotes
    Csargo vs. Al Sipsclar
    Myrddraal vs. Jolt
    Visorslash vs. BSmith
    Winston Hughes vs. El Barto
    seireikhaan (bye)

Blog Entries

Day 5 results - betting

Despite his tense victory over Myrddraal and thus remaining in a share of first place, khaan looks somewhat crestfallen after the match. When questioned on why, he reveals that he had made a private bet over the course of the round that Myrddraal would, in fact, defeat him. In essence he bet against himself and paid the price for it.

"How much did you wager on Myrddraal?"

"...100 gold," khaan muttered, slinking off to try to collect the remainder of his dignity. Afterwards, a huge debate launched about the validity of betting against oneself and whether or not khaan somehow engineered this result, but the general consensus was that, considering khaan's reaction, this was not his desired result and was simply the whims of Fate not having his back this day.

Bettors:
    atheotes - 110
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    Myrddraal - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    seireikhaan - 90
    BSmith - 20

Looking at the leaderboard for gold, BSmith can't help but smirk.

I would have sworn I was facing Al Sipsclar...
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

You did on Day 4, and defeated him.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    You did on Day 4, and defeated him.
    Hah, I had no idea. I thought we were still on that day.

Shows how focused I am on the game.
    BLARGH!

Suggestion - instead of simply leaving the 13th seed out in the cold, what if 12 and 13 have a play-in game to see who gets the 12 spot?

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Suggestion - instead of simply leaving the 13th seed out in the cold, what if 12 and 13 have a play-in game to see who gets the 12 spot?
    No, the thirteenth seed definitely has to be out altogether... you know, to patch out the rock only strat.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

With the caveat that the 13th seed is automatically out if they have 0 points or have thrown only rock.

Although, apparently the rock only strat is good enough for first place this time around.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Although, apparently the rock only strat is good enough for first place this time around.
    AS WAS FORETOLD BY THE PROPHET JABEZ - "For on the Day of reckoning, He shall reward those who revere the blessed stone. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Winston Hughes defeats Visorslash
    I'm just going to leave this here.

Blog Entries

All orders received, give me two hours.

Blog Entries

Day 6 results

Up to this point, the byes have made themselves known, with the current top four scorers all having yet to take their round off. seireikhaan, atheotes, Winston Hughes, and Visorslash have all made the most of their schedules so far, but now the pack is primed to catch up to them. In the next four rounds, three of the top four - exempting atheotes - will be taking their byes. Whether anyone in the gigantic pack of people at 2 points can overtake them will soon be determined.

As seireikhaan takes his place in the audience and hopes for an atheotes loss, the crowd goes wild as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first matchup of the day sees Zack, desperate for a win, take on edse, part of the gigantic pack in the middle. In their matchup on Day 7 of the previous tournament, edse took him down, which just adds to Zack's feeling that nothing has gone right for him this tournament, but at last: he has a reversal! edse avoids picking up his draw in six days, but he also scores no points at all as his Scissors comes up short against Zack's Rock. The pack of people at exactly two points has somehow grown even larger, causing tournament organizers to start to sweat. Zack, happy he got the victory, is unsympathetic.
    Zack defeats edse

Up next is what would have been a battle of heavyweights between Sigurd and atheotes, but Sigurd has been uncharacteristically underperforming in this tournament so far, only collecting his first outright win yesterday against El Barto. atheotes, meanwhile, has righted his course with a win yesterday after a loss to BSmith and wants to start racking up a gap between himself and everyone else. With atheotes drinking in the crowd's adoration, he gets his wish and continues Sigurd's malaise by smashing Sigurd's Scissors with his own Rock. Just about halfway through the tournament and Sigurd is staring at four knockout round matches if he wants to win it all... and probably a rematch against atheotes at some point down the line if this keeps up.
    atheotes defeats Sigurd

Csargo and Al Sipsclar are currently tied in points, but Csargo has had the more impressive tournament so far, having already taken his bye and recording the only win over seireikhaan to this point. Al Sips has stabilized himself after losses in the first two rounds, but still needs to make an impact beyond partying with Bertha the bear. He doesn't get it today, though, with Csar's Scissors carving through his own Paper. Csargo has bookended his bye with two wins and is on a nice little run at he goes into his match tomorrow.
    Csargo defeats Al Sipsclar

Myrddraal has not had a win since Day 2 of the round robin. Jolt has only had one win in the tournament up to this point. Something has to give here (unless of course they draw in which case it doesn't). Myrddraal is a student of the game, having exhaustively analyzed the throwing patterns of the people in this tournament as well as previous ones. While not having come up with any sort of algorithm, he does think he has good enough intuition as to what Jolt will throw and responds accordingly by throwing Rock. He then sees Jolt's Paper. Muttering menacingly, Myrddraal's misery might metastasize.
    Jolt defeats Myrddraal

Defending champion Visorslash tries to rebound from his loss to Winston yesterday with a win over BSmith, but it won't be easy. BSmith, after all, after a horrendous start, has picked up a win and a draw over the past two days and is really looking to go on a hot streak. Add in the fact that BSmith defeated Visor late in the last tournament and he's actually the slight favorite here. Then Visor, because of course he does, promptly throws that all out the window by throwing Scissors which cuts through BSmith's Paper - not to mention also cutting through his hopes of breaking into a higher tier.
    Visorslash defeats BSmith

Ending the day's slate of matches is a contest between Winston Hughes and El Barto. Winston has been quietly strong in this tournament so far, with his only outright loss coming against atheotes on Day 1 - a loss that is looking more and more forgivable by the day. Barto, on the other hand, has been erratic, never drawing and never posting the same result twice in a row. Considering he lost yesterday, this would mean that he is in line for a win, but Winston's consistency rubs off on him: Barto has now lost twice in a row with his Scissors getting smashed by Winston's Rock.
    Winston Hughes defeats El Barto

Standings through Day 6:

*atheotes: 5
    seireikhaan: 4
    *Winston Hughes: 4
    *Visorslash: 3.5
    Csargo: 3
    Jolt: 2.5
    El Barto: 2
    Sigurd: 2
    Zack: 2
    *Myrddraal: 2
    *Al Sipsclar: 2
    *edse: 2
    *BSmith: 2

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 7!

Day 7 matchups:

Zack vs. Winston Hughes
    seireikhaan vs. Visorslash
    El Barto vs. Csargo
    BSmith vs. Sigurd
    Jolt vs. edse
    Al Sipsclar vs. atheotes
    Myrddraal (bye)

Blog Entries

Day 6 results - betting

The bookies would like to remind everyone that the bank will not take any bets related to people on bye, and that they are smarter than that. People are welcome to try to sucker their fellow bettors into a wager if they want, but not the bank.

NOT NAMING ANY NAMES.

Bettors:
    atheotes - 110
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    Myrddraal - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    seireikhaan - 90
    BSmith - 20

Blog Entries

As a heads up, I'll be without computer access from Saturday morning to Sunday evening US time. If you guys are able to get all of your orders in by early tomorrow morning (or, preferably, tonight) I'll do the next round, but otherwise it might have to wait until Monday.

Considering how last weekend went it might not be until Monday, but we'll see how it goes.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

*shakes fist at Jolt*

10 gold says Jolt will lose this round.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Actually, to make up for my lack of betting in previous rounds, I'll bet on every match:

5 gold on each (with the exception of the Jolt match, where my previous bet stands)

The names in bold to win.

Zack vs. Winston Hughes
    seireikhaan vs. Visorslash
    El Barto vs. Csargo
    BSmith vs. Sigurd
    Al Sipsclar vs. atheotes

I didn't know she was a bear. It was late and my senses as well as judgement were impaired. She said she was a beautiful girl, and I believed her, because she had a typewriter with her.

Blog Entries

Reminds me of the tale of Sir Bearington:

One of the classics.

Can I thank that post or will my next throw be roleblocked?

Members thankful for this post (2):

bets 20 gold on visor winning

Blog Entries

All the results are in but I'm super tired, I'll have the next round posted in about 11 hours or so.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast