Thread: Saving Battle Replays

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Question Saving Battle Replays

Seen lots of discussion about battle replays being jacked up, what's saved ends up being nothing like what actually happened, this had me curious at least enough to want to see it for myself, only I didn't see before or after the battle I just fought an opportunity to save the battle, what am I missing?

Update: Must of just missed it in the first battle, in the 2nd one I saw the save button for the replay, now to see if it's as bad as the forums are saying it is.
    Last edited by easytarget; 06-03-2016 at 02:09. Reason: added update

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Re: Saving Battle Replays

Hmm, while this is only a sampling of one battle, it looked pretty much like it took place. I was reading that replays put units where they weren't in battle and had results that didn't match up with the actual outcome (i.e. Pyrrhic victory turning into defeat or hero doing something interesting like killing someone important or getting killed and the opposite happening in the replay)?!

Guess we'll see how it goes, I'll save some more. Tell me, can anyone with warhammer run these replays?

Wow, found where they are saved, the file is only 72k, so the part where they said it was just saving code to approximate what happened, not a vid file, that appears to be accurate, and likely where the mishmash takes place between what actually happened and what they program to rec-create)
    Last edited by easytarget; 06-03-2016 at 02:30. Reason: added last paragraph

Replays were always broken, even in Rome I.
    The problem is that the game does not save the video of the battle, but the sequence of moves. So, if something goes only slightly different, let's say an attack order is recorded to happen half a second later, the whole battle can change drastically.

It certainly needs more options in the replay. Right now its just basic stuff. I just watched an interesting battle replay and how the player uses the camera and options nicely.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xt8JFeG7tM