Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hearts of Iron IV

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Hearts of Iron IV

So, fascist Greece is super fun to play as. About to launch an invasion of Bulgaria and then launch an assault on Ottomans to regain Europe's side of the Bosphorus.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Any further impressions on this? Did anyone pick it up during the Steam Summer Sale?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Not yet. Still holding off. Relentless shitstorm in pdx-forum is frightening me.

Apparently in the beta patch they kinda broke the AI or something.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Any further impressions on this? Did anyone pick it up during the Steam Summer Sale?
    Wasn't in any of the sales.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Way too early. Stellaris got a minuscule discount during the sale, but even that is surprising, considering that it had been released in May.

No matter the cost of the game I've been having a blast with it.

Played the tutorial up to 1942 as Italy and it was a great introduction to the game. There seem to be a lot of streamlined parts compared to HoI3 but it feels much more user friendly.

My first real game has been as USA. I've played very pro-democracy anti-communism right from the get go. I invaded Venezuela to replace the fascist dictator with a puppet of my own. This was in 1937. Jump forward to 1939. My land forces have suffered from under research and and poor design but my navies patrol the pacific with impunity. Japan jumps at me for war and I've got three massive navies off their coast within a week of dow. 6 Months later 10 infantry Divisions under Eisenhower and 12 Divisions (3 Medium Armor and 3 Heavy armor along with 6 Vet Infantry divisions from Venezuela) under Patton land on the Northern Edge of Japan. That landings and sudden push south are so fast and violent within 2 weeks Tokyo has been surrounded and they are pushing south with little resistance. I left off this morning when my men were finally stopped by the last desperate defense before Nagasaki falls.

On the Eastern side of the united states I held off on war with Germany for as long as I could. They unfortunately joined up against me right before I saved and I don't know if we'll be able to work together to take out the dirty commies. Only time will tell...
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Ive heard a lot of complaints about how easy it is to deal with Japan as the US. Most people Ive heard have had experiences similar to yours. They seem to get so caught up invading China that they neglect the Pacific.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I just got the game and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for who I should play first. I haven't played HoI since the second, so any tips and whatnot are appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I just got the game and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for who I should play first. I haven't played HoI since the second, so any tips and whatnot are appreciated.
    A lot of people say Italy is a good first choice because you arent forced into conflict if you really dont want it, besides the small initial conflict you start with in Ethiopia. Others say Germany is a really good start too as they have a strong military and strong industrial base but Ive heard you are kinda forced into conflict and the pace of it isnt always up to you. If you want a good mix of the economy and military sides of the game I would go with those. If you just want to focus on learning the economy then I would go with the US as you are an isolationist and you could stay that course as long as you want. Brazil is also an option if you want to create your own little empire in South America.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'll probably give Brazil a try next or America, seems like a good choices to me.

I played a game as Venezuela earlier up until 1945 earlier. Carving up a little piece of South America for myself(Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru) moving at a very slow pace trying to learn the game in my own little corner of the world. I probably won't play any further since any wars I start will bring the entire Allied force against me. The AI makes some really weird choices from what I've seen so far. Italy and Germany never really got off to any sort of start and were continually losing ground, which made me never join the Axis and merely go solo. All the while they were declaring the historical wars that actually happened. Germany seemed to be sending troops into the Pacific, because they were taking islands there. All the while losing their homeland. America joined the war and promptly did nothing during the entirety of it. The SU was at war with the Allies from 1939 for some reason, but I'm guessing it had something to do with their invasion of Poland. Now it's the Allies(who control all of Africa, Germany[except their holdings in the Pacific], and Italy) vs Japan vs SU, and the Americans are just chilling not doing anything.

Yeah, the AI is a bit whack still. Give it a few more months, it should be mostly ironed out in a few patches.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Can anyone explain how supply works? Is it purely based on infrastructure and equipment supply? Or are their other factors as well?

Im not entirely sure to be honest. Try looking around for a supply tutorial on youtube or something.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Finished a game as the United States earlier and destroyed the Fascist faction and then the Comintern. Germany stood the longest and was the toughest to take out, Japan and the Soviet Union were an easy campaign. Far superior production is basically what won the war for me. I had so much civilian and military industry that I was consuming basically all the trade resources I could without much effect to my civilian production. I was building infrastructure as my armies marched through Russia to supply my armies. I feel like America is quite over-powered, even with the Great Depression penalties.

Japan is far to focused on the mainland, and basically never attempted to invade my Pacific Islands even though they were barely defended most of the war. I could focus entirely on Germany and Italy in Europe with little care for the Pacific, except managing the two fleet I had patrolling there.

So supply works on 3 points as far as I can tell.

First you have your home port/supply center. It then follows the path of highest infrastructure via land or from highest port to highest port via sea. Lastly you have the infrastructure of a province that prevents the army from taking attrition. I don't know exact numbers for what each level does but that's how I've seen it behave.

Incorrect:
    Infrastructure determines how many units can sit in one province as far as I can tell. If you have something in Siberia with infrastructure 10 surrounded by a bunch of 1s it should still be able to sustain a pretty large army. If that army gets weakened it takes longer to return to full strength due to low supply incoming to army.

I noticed the above during an invasion of Japan from one of the islands the USA controls to its north. I only had a port of 3 with infrastructure of 10. I was able to sustain 4 large army groups that were ready to land and take Japan.
    Edit: so after doing a little research I found that ports offer 3x their value in supply. So my port of 3 was actually supplying like it was 9. The real answer to that is:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Logistics
    Incoming supply is equal to the bottleneck (lowest value) on the best path from the capital including both the end supply area and the capital. Supply areas are connected with supply values as follows:

By land: Supply areas with a land adjacency. The value is the sum of:
    0.5 times the square of the average infrastructure in the sending supply area. Capitals do not receive this factor.
    2 times the square of the average infrastructure in the receiving supply area. Note that capitals get this value as "local" supply.

By sea: Supply areas with a sea connection. The supply value is 3 times the total naval base levels in the sending and receiving supply areas, whichever is lower.

Tank, equipment, supplies, mechanized, and motorized go either in surplus (which is where it goes if all units that use it are full of that item) or to units in production or to units in the field.

So when calculating your attack plan accordingly. It may be beneficial to hold off your war start till you have a sufficient stockpile of arms and armor.
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 07-16-2016 at 21:14.
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Member thankful for this post:

Csargo 

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    So when calculating your attack plan accordingly. It may be beneficial to hold off your war start till you have a sufficient stockpile of arms and armor.
    Don't have the game, but I really like this concept.

The HoI games have intrigued me and still intrigue me enough to follow this thread, but not enough to purchase one yet.
    This space intentionally left blank

I really recommend HoI4 as the one to start your jump into the series. I think its simple enough for most new people to really grab a hold of and run with.

At the same time hold off on buying it for a few months till they work out most of the major annoyances.

I agree with Veho, it's a really fun game and pretty easy to get the hang of, but if definitely needs some patching to fix the issues. It just needs some work to iron out some issues.

Thanks for the tip. I'll add it to my Steam wishlist in the meantime...and I'll be watching this thread.
    This space intentionally left blank

The air warfare component of this game is extremely frustrating, and I hate it to no end.

Yeah, I'm hoping we see some TLC for air and naval in upcoming DLCs and patches.

Csargo 

I completed my first 'world conquest' game last night as Germany, and it was overall an enjoyable experience I'd say with a few exceptions. I took the Netherlands early because taking their rubber and oil in Indonesia is extremely useful, since Germany doesn't have either handy. The Soviets declared war on Poland, I was playing ahistorical so they claimed Eastern Poland, so I invited Poland into my faction and together we crushed the Soviets and Romania who joined the Comintern. Italy declared war on Greece and brought the Allies into the war, but weird stuff happened with France. Their color had turned the lighter blue of the French Commune, but they were fully democratic. I took France went through the Maginot Line and turned towards Yugoslavia and Greece and knocked them both out, but left Italy to deal with Africa with the exception that I helped take the Suez and Gibraltar. America joined the war and tried to invade Africa, but failed because AI Italy had 800+ divisions spread across Africa and Asia.

By this point the only major powers left were UK, America, and British Raj against my faction of Italy, Japan, Nationalist Spain, Finland, Poland, Belgium, Iraq, Afghanistan, Mexico, and a few other minor nations. Trying to invade Britain through the English Channel was impossible because each time they would drop thousands of bombers and CAS into the channel and apparently having 8000+ fighters to their meager amount (a few hundred) means all my convoys sink. I eventually invaded through Ireland and Scotland to knock them out of the war. I couped both America and British Raj with astounding success, then knocking out both in short order afterwards. I enjoyed the game immensely, but the game has brought to light a few glaring issues to me.

1. I think bombers, cas, and naval bombers are far more effective than they should be. It doesn't make sense when I have overwhelming air superiority that they can easily drop a bunch of those planes into and area and destroy my ships then leave only having lost a few hundred planes. I've lost so many ships to naval bombers just striking ports that I honestly hate having to build ships in this game honestly. An Italy game I played my huge navy was destroyed in port by British naval bombers when I controlled the skies around the area. I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences, but it is just extremely annoying.

2. The AI does not seem to understand supply at all from what I've seen. Going to fight the British Raj the Italians and Japanese had stacked hundreds of troops along the narrow border that I could do nothing against them. Massive attrition and organization loss when going anywhere near the border. I eventually just couped them and sailed troops into the new land.

3. I went down the befriend Scandinavia NF tree and had no intention of going to war with any of them, no justifying or anything like that, and they all joined the Allies, with the exception of Norway and Finland who joined me when the Soviets declared war on them. It left me extremely confused for them to join the allies for seemingly no reason outside of world tension I guess.

Sorry for the long reply, but just wanted to get my thoughts down and see if others were experiencing the same things. Overall, in my opinion the game is extremely fun, especially trying to take a minor nation and make them a world power.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

I have to admit Im not overly impressed. Im finding it a long hard learning curve.
    I hated HOI3, and almost straight away went back to my trusted Hoi2. Which I understand and enjoy. For Hoi to Hoi2 was an easy conversion, almost zero learning time.
    Ive tried quite a few times to give 4 a go, but im struggling with it, and again i find myself going back to 2.
    Im struggling with air combat, and putting generals in armies. I can move my armies about easily enough but dislike the 'theater' idea, or should i say i dont understand the theater idea.
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

For the moment I'm still sticking with HoI 3, purchased two more DLC packs with the Paradox weekend the other day, so I'm aiming to finish HoI 3 first, at least a campaign with an easier faction like Great Britain, before I delve in the depth of HoI IV. 4

That being said, I hope they do keep the Field Marshall Edition still on order because it has a ton of extras. Including future expansions.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Now that this has been out for some time - and even for the first time I believe on sale on Steam - how's it working?

Proud

Been to:

I really should pick it up again, I had a blast over the summer when I played.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I really should pick it up again, I had a blast over the summer when I played.
    Same here, I enjoyed it a lot over the summer. Haven't played since they patched it, plus the steam reviews for the expansion were pretty negative iirc.

So I picked it up again, and played a good bit as Greece again. Maintained neutrality for the longest time until it got boring (around 1943 I think). Waged a bloody war with Italy for control of the Balkans. And then I staged an invasion of Italy with a massive paratroop drop. In the end Italy capitulated which was awesome for me. But here is the biggest problem with the game- once I beat Italy to a pulp, there was no way to try to end the war as I was at war with Germany and Japan. I mean all I really wanted in the end was to have control of the Balkans. Why bother with having specific war goals if the only thing that matters in the end is the total capitulation of the enemy? Especially since Italy was part of the Axis, I also had to fight Germany and Japan. I could deal with fighting Germany, it was dealing with Japan that sucked. Greece is hardly a naval power so now I am basically in a never ending war as I dont really have the capability to send forces overseas to fight them.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

My son and a group of pals are playing all 4 games in sequence to start the next game based on the results of the previous one.

Unfortunately for them, my son has been following an endgame strategy based on the conditions in Hearts of Iron from day one of game one. He's doing well now, though not by a commanding margin as they begin game two....but his strategic position and resource set up for game four are gonna make him almost unstoppable even if they league against him.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast