Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hearts of Iron IV

Default Re: Hearts of Iron IV

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    My son and a group of pals are playing all 4 games in sequence to start the next game based on the results of the previous one.

Unfortunately for them, my son has been following an endgame strategy based on the conditions in Hearts of Iron from day one of game one. He's doing well now, though not by a commanding margin as they begin game two....but his strategic position and resource set up for game four are gonna make him almost unstoppable even if they league against him.
    You mean Crusader Kings-EU-Victoria-Hearts of Iron, or just Hearts of Iron 1-4? I imagine the latter is kind of a pointless exercise.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Does that even work now? I tried a converter on my Victoria 2 savegame once to load it into HoI 3, but the result was not pretty:

http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...3BD48034B39D3/

In case you're wondering about my point, it turned Germany into Guyana and my Chile was basically completely empty and unplayable.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

The former of course. (reply to monty)

Husar, I have never played any of the games in the sequence. My son has voiced no concern. Perhaps recent updates have improved the sequencing?
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 03-21-2017 at 18:20.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

There's a new expansion pack coming out that will deal with Eastern European countries, which makes it all of a sudden super tempting to buy HoI IV.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

A lot of people are angry that the free stuff they are adding isnt nearly on par with the free stuff they do for EU4, and the paid content is stuff that should have been in the base games and not behind DLC. I kinda agree. Also the AI had gotten so frustratingly stupid that I had to stop playing. That combined with how you cant fight short wars and are stuck in really big wars that are impossible to win if you are a minor nation. Like how I drove Italy and the Germans out of the Balkans but I couldnt offer peace terms because the major powers havent capitulated. Never mind that I had been killing four Italians for every fallen Greek. Drove me mad even though I had fun overall.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Paradox is working on those, I mean from the effort they're putting into it, patches, fixed, free content and paid content will eventually bring the game to a level that at least most people want. Let's keep in mind that HoI IV will have quite a long development time based on the fact that it's due at least one more expansion pack.

Not to mention other DLCs and content packs.
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 05-10-2017 at 22:50.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'll probably wait until all the expansions/ patches come before I play again. I really hope they expand the NF's for minor nations, if they haven't already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I finally bought HoI IV, out of mistake more like it than not. Cadet Version and will purchase the DLC for Eastern Europe.

I'm fine with it, overall. I like the presentation, it looks sleek. What really disappointed me is the lack of incremental upgrades for the army, like an improved version for the tank that you already have. You have to simply upgrade to a totally new tank, when it might not actually be that feasible.

I really loved that feature in HoI III.

Proud

Been to:

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can do incremental upgrades called "Variants" where you can boost the various aspects of the design, so they do more damage or more speed, etc.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

But this requires Army Experience, which is in short supply.

Proud

Been to:

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Training gives you a small amount of army experience per month.

There's also focuses that give you army experience as well, maybe volunteer/expeditionary forces give you some as well iirc.

It does, and training definitely does help. But it depletes your armies, it needs manpower and it needs supplies.

Proud

Been to:

I didn't realize it drained manpower as well, thought it was just supplies.

6% attrition.

Proud

Been to:

As far as I can tell the 6% attrition only effects equipment and not manpower, at least according to the wiki. The wiki seems to be outdated though, so maybe one of the recent patches changed it? From what I remember training only effected equipment, but I could be remembering that wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    That combined with how you cant fight short wars and are stuck in really big wars that are impossible to win if you are a minor nation.
    That has always been Hearts of Irons. I doubt it will be fixed.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Can someone give me some tips please?

I'm playing as USA and I'm struggling - keep in mind I'm quite new to HoI series and I'm not experienced. The Japanese have taken even Hawaii and it seems that my navy can not keep up with the constant fighting. I do everything right in terms of research / production / development but not in tactics.

Also - my allies are leaving me to do the fighting.

Plus - Destroyers can't go over the Pacific Ocean but they can over the Atlantic - what? Why not?

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

Depends on tech level. HoI series is very annoying like that, I wish there were no restrictions or if restrictions actually made sense.

How do you block exports? They're eating up my factories for building.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    How do you block exports? They're eating up my factories for building.
    Exports don't use your factories? or I didn't think they did. I know Imports do.

To block exports, you change your economy type to "closed" and this allows you to keep a bigger chunk of your resources opposed to putting them on the market for other powers to use. For imports, you chose and set these yourself, if you need a lot of resources due to lack of native resources, you will need to build more civilian factories or conquer some rich provinces.

I doubled checked. When you are exporting, you actually gain factory capacity, as the nation importing pays for it using the factories.
    "Resources can be bought with the production capacity generated by civilian factories, meaning the resource-producing nation will receive factories in exchange for their exported resources"
    "In practice, trade laws set a flat percentage of resources for export as well as side bonuses from trade in increased factory output, construction speed, and research speed"

So yes, you must be importing, and if so, you are paying for the resources with factories. So the solution is that you need to change your production, so require less resources, or to increase your factory amount.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-21-2017 at 16:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Exports don't use your factories? or I didn't think they did. I know Imports do.

To block exports, you change your economy type to "closed" and this allows you to keep a bigger chunk of your resources opposed to putting them on the market for other powers to use. For imports, you chose and set these yourself, if you need a lot of resources due to lack of native resources, you will need to build more civilian factories or conquer some rich provinces.
    Both do now, which is a problem that I want to solve but I can't except by changing economy.

Proud

Been to:

I thought exports gave you civilian factories? Is that not the case anymore? Yeah, the only way to stop that would be closing your economy.

As far as fighting the Japanese goes, you basically have to island hop across the Pacific, which is somewhat annoying. Take an island, re-base your navy and army, and do it all over again. You should be able to out produce Japan, depending on how you built up your economy early game. I'll try to answer any specific questions you have, but my knowledge of the game is a bit outdated.

Are any of the expansions/DLCs worth buying? Seems like most reviews are negative in regards to them.

Also, the AI still sends forces into the middle of nowhere, while they lose their homeland. Both Germany and Italy have dozens of divisions fighting in mainland China with Japan while they were both being captured by the Allies/Comintern. Good times.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The main issue Im seeing with the DLCs is that they really dont offer much compared to their price. $10-$15 for a bunch of new focus trees and some things which should have been in the base game anyways? No thanks.

Ive heard that they are making major plans for the next update, like restructuring how field marshals work so they arent just generals who can command more units and adding more decisions to the game. So we will see when the update eventually comes if I will pick it back up or not.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    The main issue Im seeing with the DLCs is that they really dont offer much compared to their price. $10-$15 for a bunch of new focus trees and some things which should have been in the base game anyways? No thanks.

Ive heard that they are making major plans for the next update, like restructuring how field marshals work so they arent just generals who can command more units and adding more decisions to the game. So we will see when the update eventually comes if I will pick it back up or not.
    Yeah, that's what I've been seeing as well, they aren't worth what they change in-game. I've just been playing minor nations recently, my current game as Mongolia:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1127259991
    Last edited by Csargo; 09-03-2017 at 17:17.

Been some time since posts were made on this thread - but in the meantime, HoI IV has been upgraded extensively and some good DLC came out.

However, careful with the DLC's - a lot of the features should have been in the base.

Proud

Been to:

Is it worth playing the base game? I don't particularly want to spend money on DLCs honestly, since a lot of them, like you said, should have been in the base game.

If you can get it on sale, definitely yes. However... a lot of base features are only in DLCs and if you love micromanagement like I do, the Man the Guns DLC for naval expansion and obsessive micromanagement is necessary.

Proud

Been to:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast