Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hearts of Iron IV

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Hearts of Iron IV

6th of June 2016.

The new release in the Hearts of Iron franchise is slated to release tomorrow esentially - 6th of June 2016, 72 years after the D-Day.

Apparently it's exclusive only to Steam, so probably no physical release, but there are some interesting special edition packs over there!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394360/

Last edited by edyzmedieval; 06-05-2016 at 03:03.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Hearts of Iron IV

I decided to pre-order because... not sure why. Ill let everyone know how it is, but Ive been watching a bunch of the Youtubers who are streaming it and so far it looks really good! Have high hopes for this one, especially as its being fleshed out down the line.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Pass some impressions once you get to play it, I am very interested in purchasing it. It would be a new (almost) experience for me, so HoI IV is definitely on a to-buy list.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Same here. Tried my hand at the HOI3 demo a long time ago but found it too daunting. A big complaint from the early review versions sent to youtubers that Im hearing though is that the AI just gets dumb at around 1942 and it gets way too easy once you have your economic infrastructure in place. It seems to suffer from the same problem that the TW games have: after a certain point you can just steamroll opponents. We will see how this is addressed. Also there is the concern that it is too easy to create coups in other countries but this I think can be somewhat easily remedied in a patch. The AI issue might be more difficult to address.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I have high hopes for this title too. I'm a HoI 1 & 2 veteran, but could never get into HoI 3. Too complicated for me.
    So that's why I hope no. 4 will be an improvement.

On the other hand, Paradox titles these days tend to be in a state of completion that others would call Early Access. Which isn't too much of a problem bc they continuously improve their games. See EUIV - between 1.0 and 1.17 ... it's a completely different game now.

Anyway, I'm holding off buying it on release. I'll wait for the first 1 or 2 patches.

I had a bit of time to try to learn the ropes. Its still a very complicated game with a ton of moving parts that arent always so clear. Certainly will take more than 40 minutes to learn this game. The tutorial has you playing as Italy and their offensive in Ethiopia. Took way longer than expected to accomplish the objective. Probably because it was Italy. Also because I had no heavy support and minimal air support. Need to learn more about the economics as it said I was low on oil and stuff. Overall though the game plays smoothly, no glaring bugs but I didnt get much time in the game yet.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is what someone I know said about the game:

HoI4 is incredibly easy
    It'll really shine in MP though
    And with ahistory mods
    I conquered the japanese mainland as new zealand 4 years into the game
    They had all their troops fighting the soviet union in the depths of siberia with no manpower left
    So I jsut went in with some marines
    and they surrendered when i took tokyo because they had china as a puppet
    I wish the UK had an unholy alliance option with Germany
    To murder France, the USA and the SU
    I must admit though, literally being Hitler is very amusing.
    Its a fun game, but very little replayability.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Strange, people on Reddit are saying the opposite. Skill and familiarity with the game probably have something to do with it. Time will tell, Ill give it a week before I really evaluate the AI as the "new game" glow begins to wear off.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Yeah, plus the fact they didn't really fight Japan.. it sounds more like backdooring the AI unexpectedly when they were being crushed by another AI.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't speak as to the mechanics yet (I've just clawed my way through the tutorial and am 20 minutes into my first proper campaign), but the soundtrack's been... interesting... so far. There's your usual atmospheric orchestral stuff you've come to expect from Paradox, but mixed in with it are some period standards and, uh, power metal. I'll admit that gave me a bit of a start when I first heard it firing up.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

That must be the (in)famous Sabaton part of the soundtrack. I'm not familiar with these guys but apparently they are quite popular among wargamers.

Anyway, the threads in the forum at paradoxplaza are quite evenly distributed between "great game", "What? How? Why? What's going on? What's this button doin'" and "WTF!? Game sux, is not like HoI3!!!1!"

It'll be an interesting week to follow the discussions.

I saw a review by someone who seems to know the series a bit better and he also said it's a bit too easy if you know a bit about what you're doing and that the AI makes silly mistakes.
    In one example he played Germany and was allied with Italy. Italy was at war with communist Spain, which was an ally of Russia. Then Italy lend most of its army to Germany, which did not want to go to war with Spain because it was too early to annoy Russia. So Germany could not do anything against the Spanish troops conquering Italy's holdings in Africa while Italy had pretty much no army left since it gave most of these troops to Germany...
    In addition the automatic fronts seem to get problems at times where the player needs to conquer remaining provinces manually and so on.

I'll definitely hold out on this one (partially because I need a new GPU first anyway), but can anyone tell me whether it has interface scaling for high DPI yet?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

For those who played - what are the chances of actually winning the game with a small country? And how detailed is the small country, historically speaking, compared to the bigger ones?

Proud

Been to:

Im sure its possible if you are an experienced player, though Im having some issues as Sweden (figured their neutrality aspect would be a smart way to learn the ropes with little outside pressure) but the small industrial output size makes it hard to produce the materials needed to win. But then again I have no clue what Im doing so theres that.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    For those who played - what are the chances of actually winning the game with a small country? And how detailed is the small country, historically speaking, compared to the bigger ones?
    From what I heard, Britain has the wrong Prime Minister.
    I also heard "minor" countries like Yugoslavia have fictional leaders and generals.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    From what I heard, Britain has the wrong Prime Minister.
    I also heard "minor" countries like Yugoslavia have fictional leaders and generals.
    What do you mean that Britain has the wrong PM? Seems correct to me, as Churchill didnt take over until after both start dates.

And the minor countries arent fully fleshed out. I hope they fix that soon.

Also Ive been managing to hold out as Poland all the way to January 1941 so far. Mainly by doing a slow withdrawal to a pocket around Warsaw and Ive been holding there for a while now. Havent been able to break out, nor are the Germans throwing enough troops in to make me capitulate.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    What do you mean that Britain has the wrong PM? Seems correct to me, as Churchill didnt take over until after both start dates.
    Chamberlain is listed as the PM for the 1936 scenario when in reality Baldwin was still in power and didn't resign until 1937.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Member thankful for this post:

Beskar 

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Chamberlain is listed as the PM for the 1936 scenario when in reality Baldwin was still in power and didn't resign until 1937.
    Ahh gotcha, didnt think of that.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Ahh gotcha, didnt think of that.
    Yup, Poor Stanley Baldwin.

How moddable is HoI in general? It is feasible to expect mods that introduce more micro-management like in HoI 3? (I heard HoI 3 was heavy on micro management)

Proud

Been to:

The extent of HoI 4's moddability remains to be seen. As a rule, PDX advertises heavily with the moddability of their games. How far that will go with the latest title - we'll see.

I expect many attempts at more micro'ing and command structure, but it's too early to say, I think.

Looking forward to the DLC packs and the updates from Paradox, hopefully there's something really good coming up in the expansions.

Proud

Been to:

So Ive mostly figured out how the economy works in my first full game as the US. Trade is annoying as you need dedicated factories so I find myself short of rubber oftentimes. Finally stockpiling for war so Im exciting to see how this turns out. I have like over 100 divisions ready to go. No idea how Im going to get them to the front though, havent figured out naval transport yet. Also I accidentally built like 300 carriers so Im trying to figure out how to disband most of them en masse. Or at least mothball them.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The US got frustrating to play as since the whole "moving large numbers of troops overseas" got to be very annoying. Especially since Nationalist Spain took over the UK, leaving France somehow surviving a triple onslaught. Not sure what happened there. Still, it was a really good intro to how the economy and the navy works so it wasnt for nothing.

So I started a new game as the USSR. Now I just have to decide to invade Estonia or Finland. Probably will go for Estonia so I have more of a foothold in the Baltics.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Anyone playing with smaller countries?

Proud

Been to:

Default Hearts of Iron IV

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Anyone playing with smaller countries?
    I've tried as Sweden and Poland if that's what you mean by small. Poland is pretty much non-defensible as one might imagine but if you can fight a withdrawal to a circle around Warsaw you can hold off the Germans once you fortify. Both times I've played Poland I managed to hold off the Germans indefinitely. I was basically a Polish island in a sea of Germans. After a while the Germans just surrounded me and stopped trying to take Warsaw so basically we just sat there. Probably because the other major wars had begun so it made no sense to throw soldiers at me especially when I had fortified Warsaw.

I didn't play Sweden for too long as I found it kinda dull. Their lack of industry makes building up forces pretty difficult, which goes for all of the small countries. Maybe once I get better at the game I'll try again with a smaller nation.

Also in my USSR game last night I rolled through the Baltics pretty easily. Signed the treaty with Germany so let's see what happens now. Will probably invade Poland once Germany invades to draw their forces from the border. Haven't decided what I will do about Finland. They are very heavily fortified and I don't know if I have the forces to avoid a repeat of history.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 06-11-2016 at 14:05.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I was tired of waiting for the Germans to invade Poland so I did it myself. It was surprisingly difficult as they were very fortified. My general strategy was to cut off pockets of Polish divisions and then starve them from supplies. For now Im stopped at the Bug River to consolidate my forces as they are kinda all over the place. Im not sure if I should press onto Warsaw or not as right now Im in a really defensible position and I know that the Germans are creating a war justification on me. There is a bug right now that is allowing German forces military access even though I didnt give it to them, though Im hearing that will be patched on Monday so we will see. So I might just stop where I am and fortify.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Does any of you have the Field Marshall Edition, the one with all the bonuses and future expansion packs?

Proud

Been to:

I was debating getting that one but then my wallet said no.

The hotfix is out today, and they havent fixed the military access bug. Might hold off on playing my USSR campaign until its fixed as its kinda a major bug.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So I decided to work on my USSR campaign again. I took Warsaw and Poland capitulated. In the ensuing peace conference I managed to annex all of Poland so that was nice. Then Germany promptly declared war. Then my game basically slowed down to 1 FPS and I exited because I couldnt do anything with the game going at 1 FPS.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast