Thread: Naval battles

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

I'm playing as Denmark and was doing very well fighting the Spanish in the south. I had trade routes reaching from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea and money was flowing into my treasury. All of a sudden I get reports that I lost sea battles in the Baltic Sea, Skagerak and the North Sea; the sneaky people of Novgorod are attacking me. I quickly send new fleets to reclaim the seas, but find to my great surprise that Novgorod had defeated my caravels with longboats; not once but three times in one year.

Caravels have 3 in attack and 3 in defence, while longboats have 1 in attack and 1 in defence. The only thing which is better for the longboats is speed, which is 3 versus 1 for the caravels. On the the other hand, longboats consistently lose against barques, which have 1 in attack and 2 in defence while I don't remember the speed. In the above examples, it's always been a one on one sea battle, i.e. no larger fleets.

Can anyone explain why I'm getting these results from my sea battles and how the battles are resolved in general.

Cazbol

Ah, those naval battles , they seam to live a life of there own.
    I still would like to point out a few things though. Good ststs does not mean the same as victory, particulary in hard and expert mode. Secondly, I find that numbers ofen count, i.e. two barques (speed 2 I think) will often beat one caravel etc. (However two caravels never seem to catch up with one barque ) . Thirdly, naval commanders also have "stars" and maybe their commanders where better thanm yours. Bottom line is, I think you are just very unlucky.

Then again if we always new the outcome, where would the fun be in the game?
    The Cardinal
    -----------------------------------------------
    It's a short way from the Capitol to the Tarpeian Cliff.

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

1) I had made a point of keeping my best captains in these waters (close to home) and know for a fact that they all had 2 stars, but I don't know about the opponents.

2) I'm playing on easy.

3) There have been 6 battles against the Novgorod ships now. 4 of them resulted in 1 Novgorod longboat sinking 1 caravel. 1 battle resulted in 1 Novgorod longboat sinking 1 caravel and 1 other ship which was either a barque or a caravel The remaining 1 battle ended in my favour, with my barque defeating one longboat. That's 1 ship sunk at the cost of six far more expensive ships.

I think I'll switch back to building longboats and barques.

Cazbol

Interesting. I also seem to have my ships defeated by weaker AI ships (including stars) more often then is statistically feasible. I agree that the solution is to attack the enenmy ship with a stack of you own. Numbers make all the difference in naval warfare. Throw a longboat or barque in your stack so you can catch the enemy longboat. btw - I didn't realize Novgorod could make longboats. wierd.
    - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke