Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BETA TESTERS

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: BETA TESTERS

Excellent news, Western

I suppose it is possible to shift another faction slot - and yes, it's the Medes who are FN_20. I've still got a few free (03, 05, 06, 07 (BUT!), 10, and 11)
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Hi guys,

I played the Spartans this time and went bankrupt in about 15 turns! I restarted and this time I recruited all the units I could get and attacked Argos! I couldn't take them out completely but weakened them enough. Eventually I took them out and then tried to decimate the Athenians who were very active in the northern part of the map. Luckily for me, they were destroyed by the Macedonians, who in turn were destroyed by the Thracians. I fought them and took back all the lands which belonged to Macedon. However the Lydians helped me a great deal. All the factions I encountered this time around were active.

The reason why the Spartans were not so active in the previous game was due to early bankrupcy. To remedy this situation you might want to consider giving the Spartans two elite units; Spartan Guards who consist of 80 men but are tougher than your average Spartan hoplites. That should cut the maintenance expenses almost by half. The second unit is your standard Spartan hoplites who could be recruited later on. Another solution might be giving them another province. Finally, thank you for creating this mod. I am enjoying it a lot.

P.S I have the old version of MTW, not the steam one.

P.S.S The agora's review icon is ok but the icon you receive when you get the message"the Agora has been built" is black.

Hi Leith,

Thanks for the update, and you're right - money is tight for the Spartans - in fact it's pretty tight for all the Greek factions, and as I mentioned in one of the Faction threads your strategic choices are basically 'blitz or starve'

Interesting idea to cut upkeep - I think a better way to go might be a smaller hoplite unit - maybe down to 100 men instead of 128 - even dropping it to 120 would make a difference. To my mind, an even tougher Spartan unit is not feasible - it's already almost impossible to defeat the Spartan hoplites with another hoplite army, and some of the Spartan princes with extreme VnVs become game-busting Jedis, IMHO. 'Tough' is fun, 'invincible' not so much....

I've been trying the Macs in ALEX today, and the Spartans wiped the floor with my pezhetairoi, until I finally lucked out and got a more favourable map. What's been bugging me is why Alex doesn't get his 'heroic king' stats in every game? Last game he did, this game, just the portrait - his proper VnVs didn't materialise. Even more annoying is that Artaxerxes keeps on being produced at age 25 (when Darius is already 23!) thereby messing up the succession set-up. So much for my theory that starting kings were generally between 40 and 50 yrs old.... I wish there was some way to fix the age of starting kings for sure.... all I've been able to do so far is to reduce Darius' age by ten years to give him a shot at the throne in time to fight Alex. Think I may have to make Artaxerxes another 'dead drunk' and hope he dies sooner. That works well for Philip II (as well as being quite historical), but I don't like it for Artaxerxes. In this last game it took me so long to quell the Spartans, a 64 year old Alex met (well chased....) Darius IV instead. I know, I know, it's almost impossible to recreate history with MTW, but I do want to get it a bit closer than it's managing so far.

OK, understood now about the black image - that's why I said to disable non-critical messages because these images don't exist for my new buildings. Because I NEVER see them myself I always forget to make them for the mod. It's on the 'to do' list, but will probably be done last

Discussion forum thread

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    ....bankrupt in about 15 turns! ..... attacked Argos ...weakened them enough.....decimate the Athenians who wee very active in the northern part of the map. Luckily for me, they were destroyed by the Macedonians, who in turn were destroyed by the Thracians. I fought them and took back all the lands which belonged to Macedon. However the Lydians helped me a great deal. All the factions I encountered this time around were active.
    Great report Leith ...sounded just like a game of Hellenic happening on your part of the map ! ... I hope yr suggestions on those adjustments make for a more fun challenging game ....
    Have you played more turns on this campaign ?
    Do you think its possible to get deep into Asia with the Greeks ?
    Let us know and post a few pics of yr games also ...
    Cheers

M
    Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    Thanks Dimitrios. The brainwave was Macsen's, but I will agree that comparing notes often shines new light on a problem.

In regard to -ian, I think you can do as you say - so for example if you want to fight as Babylon, you could start as Persia, begin a war with Babylon, and then jump to be Babylon but now with a war on their hands. Jumping is very simple ....o.
    Western , I'm just glad yr graphics issue is sorted and we are all on the same page ... As i have said i have not had time to begin a campaign yet but i do find your insights and testing valuable and enjoyable to read about and ponder !
    Re;The Gandharan campaigns that you found very easy ... I have been thinking about them , as i mentioned -ian earlier im wondering if you would invest a little time and "make up a startpos specifically for Gandhara" .
    Add agents or princesses in provinces to make all factions between gandahara to Persia to create alliances.
    Also make a few small 3 or 4 unit armies to sacrifice to create war between gandhara and all or some of its neihhbours This can also be done to make allies all around Persia then some sacrificial armies to begin wars !!
    So we truly have Total War .Advancing with gandhara will now be challenging .
    Hopefully the AI factions fight united against Persia and thenalso yr incursions with the Indians .
    Another thort !! Perhaps also aligning the religions to maximum advantage will help greatly .
    As for the factions in the mediteranean just leave them be at present whilst you test it out ...
    Cheers for now
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 07-16-2016 at 09:50.

Hi dimitrios! I have played the Spartans up to the point where I took out the Illyrians and then moved on. My gaming time is severly limited. Moreoever I have been experimenting with different bifs taken from METW, trying to find decent graphics for future mods. I hope you're progressing well on the unit graphics front.

Default More homework...

OK, guys, I have a little request...

I'm currently working my way through battle maps and pre-battle panorama shots, trying to sort out the spaghetti farm that resides in those folders. I am making progress, even activating maps that are in there but weren't ever going to get called in RoP or Alex (including a killer map for Sogdiana that I must have made back in 2007, but didn't recognize when I played it...)

Anyway, what I need help with is reports of any incidences where any of the following happens:

• Pre-battle panorama is BLACK (this means the image doesn't exist)
    • Pre-battle panorama is WRONG - ie it doesn't match the battlemap that shows in the battle
    • An original MTW castle map shows up instead of a new one (HTW usually, plus a handful of my own) - ordinary battlefields are fine, it's the castles I want to know about
    • The default battlemap shows up (this means the map called doesn't exist) - if you haven't seen it before the default map is almost featureless - no trees, no buildings, just a few ripples in the ground, with a noticeable depression just in front of the defenders' spawn point. (It's most obvious when it gets called instead of a castle - some of the higher level castles from HTW did this, but I think I have all of those sorted.)

If any of this stuff crops up in your campaigns can you let me know:

• The province
    • Which border you crossed (eg invading Media from Persis etc) if it was a field battle
    • The nature of the error

For the record, I know about the 'plains' castlemap which calls an MTW castle -- I have already made a replacement for this and it works well This is likely to crop up in Scythia, Sarmatia, Saka, Thyssagetia, Massagetia, Chersonese and Dahaea.

It's bit of a faff creating the new pre-battle panoramas, but I have a system going now, and if I can get a good list together of what needs sorting, so much the better.

Thanks for all your valiant efforts on the battlefield; I trust future generations will honour your sacrifices

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    Hi dimitrios! I have played the Spartans up to the point where I took out the Illyrians and then moved on. My gaming time is severly limited. Moreoever I have been experimenting with different bifs taken from METW, trying to find decent graphics for future mods. I hope you're progressing well on the unit graphics front.
    Hello Leith .. send me the save if you still have it would be great to continue it when i begin my testing soon ,cheers

Mac ...... I'm back & I will install & begin play testing within days .
    "let me know which faction needs closer scrutinising "

Hi Dimitrios - start with the Ionians, then see where your fancy takes you

Discussion forum thread

Ok ...
    Campaign started , set on Hard on normal Unit Size .
    Nice touch adding Dimitrios the Samian as a high valour Emissary !! hehe
    I sent him of to make peace with the Lydians , whilst I set up some building & eyed up the Rebels next to my province .
    A few turns later I attacked them & took their land .
    Thracians , lost their King & the Macs sent me an emissary seeking alliance , I accepted .
    A few turns past I built up a bit more , then I invaded Cyprus as rebels was there .
    didn't pay off , I was outnumbered almost 2 to 1 & I auto-calced & was booted out .
    After a few more turns , I decided to test the Lydians by attacking their allies the Mede's , after the battle which I won , the Lydians ceased their alliance with me , so as I wanted things will get interesting .
    ...............more will follow .
    Mac , its a winner !! so far .
    I just loved the 2 battles I was involved in , nice battlescapes .
    I did notice the following .
    No Agora pic on parchment .
    Eastern light Cavalry flickering on & off .
    & white dot on mini expandable map during battle ( could be related ).

& a few Hellenic leftovers >>
    Cretan archers always holding machera .
    Heavy missile slingers holding no weapon when in hand to hand fighting .
    Scythian Mercenary Horsemen holding axe then switching to firing Bow & alternating .
    I will help out on these as I work my way thru all the bif plates .

I look forward to playing more soon .
    cheers
    D

Hi DtS,

Thanks for initial feedback

As I mentioned elsewhere, the emissary should have been Thales of Miletus, and DtS a general, but as I set them both to appear in the same year, you sometimes get DtS as emissary instead - that's now fixed.

Agora pic is fixed
    I'll take another look at the eastern light cav - haven't noticed that myself

Cretans - yes, it's that or standing around empty-handed, which looks weird and even more so if they get into melee - they only put them away to shoot, and the same applies to the horse archers' axes. The problem is the 'standing' plate really - I just don't like the empty-handed look...

Slingers' weapons - think that might be fixed in my master copy, but will double check (tribal archers are probably the same, and I know I have fixed those...)

I've started looking at Diadochi now, and should start work on it tomorrow - I'm thinking 301BC makes about the best playable start point.

More later, off to work...

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    Cretans - yes, it's that or standing around empty-handed, which looks weird and even more so if they get into melee - they only put them away to shoot, and the same applies to the horse archers' axes. The problem is the 'standing' plate really - I just don't like the empty-handed look......

I understand Macsen , re: Archers & mounted archers
    We old campaigners of MTW & its mods have great imaginations & accept these little issues ......
    but , great news !!! .... there is a simple way to rectify this .
    I truly believe that if its possible we should do it ..... more on this topic later , & in the other thread .
    & I did have DTS as a general too .

Wow ! Diadochi nice & yes 301 BC is perfect !
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 08-10-2016 at 11:34.

UPDATE IONIAN CAMPAIGN

Ok , Played two sessions more since my last update .
    I just turtled along , year in year out & built up my infrastructure & better soldiers .
    Now I have Hoplites & Lydian Spearmen available , with Cavalry very close .
    I almost went bankrupt , for about 5 or 6 turns I was getting poorer , So war was inevitable .
    I attacked Cyprus again which still was in Rebel hands & won it .
    I also gained another province from the Mede's who just backed out & didn't step up to fight .
    In the interim , the Lydians & I made peace & are my allies after marriage , So they have been behaving themselves whereas the Babylonians have been caught by my bodyguards on a number of occasions & iirc killed one of my spy's or assasins .
    My kings & queens have been pumping out heirs , so been active with my Princesses marrying them to my generals & also sending them out scouting the outer provinces nearby .
    Its a bloody awesome mod this one !
    More twists await here as the Gandaharans have are closing in & with Babylonians causing trouble , im going to rethink my strategy .
    more will follow ................
    I did notice Armour upgrades applying to Archaic Archers ? ..did you set it up like this mac ?

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like an interesting campaign so far Good to hear the Gandharans are on the march...

I found an early blitz is necessary if you don't want to starve, and in the beginning the Lydians are too tough to crack, so there's only one way to go (ok maybe two...) Cyprus is a good province to get, especially for a Greek faction. It has Greek recruitment, copper deposits, and good trade potential. You probably noticed (hopefully in time) that starting rebel mercenary hoplites come in lumps of 200, just to add to the challenge of getting some of those important provinces. However, it borders two sea regions so it can be expensive to protect from invasion.

I did notice Armour upgrades applying to Archaic Archers ? ..did you set it up like this mac ?
    That's normal, hard-coded MTW behaviour - weapon and armour upgrades apply to all troops.

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    That's normal, hard-coded MTW behaviour - weapon and armour upgrades apply to all troops.
    hmmmmm .... more food for thought , re: getting CA to release another Patch , doing some simple things on the code for us loyal followers .
    Anyway , I'll be campaigning more tonite & I have a few strategies I can try .... I may do both from the same save point & see what develops & report back in a few days

UPDATE IONIAN CAMPAIGN

Played (turtled) along for another 2 sessions of testing .
    Some nice developments happening , Babylon & Persia both powerhouses & along with myself have almost taken out the Medes .
    I was prepping an Army to take out Medes last province but the Persians got in first .
    My neighbours the Lydians were not doing any expanding at all & I prepped myself to begin hostilities , I set up & moved in one 1 province & to my surprise the backed out !
    I also had two rebellions during these two sessions , one in Cyprus which was a tough battle & the other in Albania , which I quelled also .
    My economy has stabilised & it requires adjusting turn to turn (nice) .
    So , it will be all out war with Lydians soon & whilst I'm doing that keep an eye on developments around me .
    cheers

UPDATE IONIAN CAMPAIGN

Have played quite a few turns in a few sessions since last update .
    The Lydians are no more ! & there will be major battles with both Persians & Babylonians in the East .
    The Macedonians are building on that side of the world & have taken out the Skyths Im good at present allied with the Macs .
    The Egyptians are holding their own & I will be looking to ally with them to surround the Persians & Babs .
    Im really looking forward to the big battles coming up !

I have noticed many nice touches .. Master of Mint , establish Greek Colony & a few others .
    I will report in again once the big battles start .
    Noticed that flashing Cavalry glitch , I mentioned it before , it was the Kalapa this time ( maybe a Bif problem ?
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 09-15-2016 at 10:45.

All good stuff, DtS. Good to know you've spotted some of the new features

I'm still mystified by the cavalry glitch. I haven't seen anything along those lines myself, with one possible exception: sometimes you see individual sprites switching between different view angles quite rapidly when the camera can't quite decide which 'side' of the unit it should see. If that's it, then I don't think there's anything that can be done, it also happens in vanilla. It seems to occur most often if the unit is either 'skirmishing' in a tight spot or running away.... It will be more evident with cavalry due to the overall shape of the sprite, it's not so easy to see with infantry. Let me know if that sounds like what you're seeing

Good luck with the Babs and Persians

Discussion forum thread

: UPDATE IONIAN CAMPAIGN :

Played quite a few more turns since my last update .
    Well what twists & turns !!
    As I reported I was prepping for battles in the East either with Babs or Persia , well with Lydia no more I attacked Babylon !
    We had a few battles I won two & lost one & overall I took some territory , but the Lydians re-appeared !
    King Crossus & his 3 sons , about 1000 strong in each stack .
    I lost Cyprus too the Babs as I didn't have my navy built up enough also .
    Over in the East , Sparta is back & slugging it out with the Macs .
    As my new figures are getting closer to completion i'm finding it harder too play
    but I will keep this save & see how it all pans out in this install .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12