Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military coup in Turkey

Default Military coup in Turkey

Apparently there is a military coup going on in Turkey right now, still seems like noone knows what exactly is going on:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...rd-in-ankara1/

Gunshots were heard in the Turkish capital of Ankara on Friday, a Reuters witness said, as military jets and helicopters were seen flying overhead.

Reuters witnesses in Istanbul, Turkey's biggest city, also spotted helicopters overhead.

Broadcaster NTV reported that both of Istanbul's bridges across the Bosphorus, the strait separating the European and Asian sides of the city, had been closed to traffic.

It was not immediately clear if the events were related.
    [...]
    Yildirim says "it would be wrong to call it a coup" but that there has been an attempt by "part of the military".

He describes it as an "illegal attempt" to seize power.

Turkey would never allow any "initiative that would interrupt democracy", he said, and promised the perpetrators "will pay the highest price".
    https://twitter.com/search?q=coup+in...Ctwgr%5Esearch

Not sure what to think of it. Not a fan of Erdogan at all, but a coup seems like a sad way to end his reign, if it even works.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

Default Re: Military coup in Turkey

2016, codirected by Quentin Tarantino and George R R Martin.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph link above
    Turkish military claims to have overthrown Erdogan and taken control of country
    In a statement, the Turkish military says the rule of law must remain the priority.

State TV TRT reportedly off the air.
    That seems fast...

Blog Entries

PM Yıldırım confirms a coup attempt in Turkey, says the attempt will not be successful
    Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said a group within Turkey's military has engaged in what appeared to be an attempted coup.

Yıldırım said on television: "it is correct that there was an attempt."

Yıldırım didn't provide details, but said Turkey would never allow any "initiative that would interrupt democracy."

"Those who are in this illegal act will pay the highest price," he added.

Earlier, military jets were heard flying over the capital, Ankara.

Media reports said ambulances were seen in front of the Turkey's military headquarters.

Justice Minister Bozdağ also confirmed a group tried to stage a coup and said the government is on duty.

Arrest warrants were issued for the soldiers who are involved in the coup attempt.

Entrance to Atatürk International Airport in Istanbul closed, military tanks deployed outside the airport.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Yes, that was out earlier, the military claiming to have won is a bit newer than what Yildirim said.
    Your link says published 23 hours ago, seems fishy to be honest, I don't think it was even going on yet at that time...

I guess the big question is whether most of the military or just a small part was behind it and who exactly is lying? The PM or the military that claimed to have taken over? We'll know relatively soon/by tomorrow I guess.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I dont know what is up with that timestamp.

A fellow I'm talking with on discord says that it could be the secular millitary getting fed up with the islamic Erdogan, tensions over the handling of Syria, Russia and the whole 200 or so officers being imprisoned in 2013.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-15-2016 at 22:11.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

LEN was last on at 9pm BST, so I'd like to see his view on this.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

We really live in interesting times. So, up until now, both sides are winning?

Military coups have an honorable and longstanding tradition in Turkey. I'm no fan of Erdogan for sure but I don't think this will contribute to stability in the region.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

It seems as if Erdogan is seeking asylum in Germany? This week has been nuts.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Both sides claiming victory?
    This could get interesting:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...0ZV2HK?sp=true
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STIp0UB.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	515.7 KB 
ID:	18697

Erdogan seems to claim, too, that he is still in control, but then again we've seen this before, like the imminent counterattack when the Russians were already in Berlin or the Americans running away in fear according to the Iraqi disinformation minister.
    Erdogan does seem to have a sizeable support in the country though, but if people actually stand up to the military with firearms or so, this could turn really ugly. I'd rather have seen Erdogan simply not getting elected anymore.

I mean on the one hand I wish for a modern and secular Turkey, on the other hand the majority of Turks seem to disagree with my wish and want to "democratically" forbid the existence of their more liberal fellow countrymen and -women....
    Last edited by Husar; 07-15-2016 at 23:01.

Blog Entries

It's almost outlandish having the advocates of liberalism in a nation being the army of all things

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I'm very anti-Erdogan but I hope that whatever is happening concludes quickly. Can't have as important and strategic country as Turkey descend into all out civil war like its neighbors.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Well, one of my theories is gone.
    I was thinking an uprising by a minority of the army would be doomed to fail; apparently "...not a little tinpot coup...":

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tu...-idUSKCN0ZV2HK
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/Nayn_Co/status/754086295186661376

Helicopter fired from the skies over ankara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg

Sky news livestream says it was quickly shot down by jet.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-16-2016 at 00:04.

Reap what you sow. Its time for him to pay the price of the MB government he made just like Morsi did. Now go flee just like the thousands of Syrian women and children you displaced. Dirty games bring dirty outcomes.

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/socialbook1/stat...86215775756288

Coup forces have apparantly been peacefully evicted from a provincial government building.

Last edited by Greyblades; 07-16-2016 at 00:33.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Well, looks like it's failed - unless it turns out the Army's Chief of Staff is actually leading the coup that's it, Erdogan 4 Life now.

My first reaction was "well, it's about time, surprised it took them this long." but it appears this was likely a small Kemalist remnant, not the traditional Turkish Army coup designed to kick out the tin-pot dictators the people occasionally elect.

Before you all go off on me being an anti-democratic hypocrite, what they have in Turkey right now isn't Democracy.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Seems to be still going on with reports that Erdogan will soon land in Istanbul, it's like noone can decide yet who won...

What I find most disturbing, almost insulting, is how a lot of Erdogan supporters, and even Obama, seem to insinuate that Erdogan is the beacon of Turkish democracy. We can talk all day about how a military coup is not democratic, and I'd even agree, but placating Erdogan as some kind of poster child for democracy is just idiotic as well....

The guy closed all the free press he could find, tried to shut down social networks when they were used against him, suppressed corruption allegations against him and his family, built himself a big palace and allegedly even dealt with ISIS. Oh and he also tried to shut down criticism in Germany. If that is what counts as a democratic leader nowadays, then I can just say

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Seems to be still going on with reports that Erdogan will soon land in Istanbul, it's like noone can decide yet who won...

What I find most disturbing, almost insulting, is how a lot of Erdogan supporters, and even Obama, seem to insinuate that Erdogan is the beacon of Turkish democracy. We can talk all day about how a military coup is not democratic, and I'd even agree, but placating Erdogan as some kind of poster child for democracy is just idiotic as well....

The guy closed all the free press he could find, tried to shut down social networks when they were used against him, suppressed corruption allegations against him and his family, built himself a big palace and allegedly even dealt with ISIS. Oh and he also tried to shut down criticism in Germany. If that is what counts as a democratic leader nowadays, then I can just say
    Turkey lacks the liberal bit of liberal democracy.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Turkey lacks the liberal bit of liberal democracy.
    So does America - that doesn't mean it can't be a Democracy full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    It's more like a tyranny of the majority then, the point of a majority is that the minority is also at least heard and that there is a free press as part of the checks and balances and so on. Yes, the greek democracy was different, but we talk about a modern understanding of democracy. The US is not nearly as bad, they have a free press and an opposition that is allowed to talk and appear on TV etc.

I also entered a Turkish tweet into Google translate and it supports the last smiley of my last post...
    Quote Originally Posted by Google Translate
    President Erdogan in Istanbul . Armageddon greets a crowd of President Erdogan Airport.
    Last edited by Husar; 07-16-2016 at 02:14.

The thing is, "Liberal Democracy" is apolitically charged term designed to imply that "Liberalism" is inherently Democratic, by which the people coining the term often mean high taxes, gender equality, secularism (in a strict sense), support for Gay marriage (maybe) etc. etc. Essentially the position of the "chattering classes" in Europe and the US.

That sort of outlook is what turns more conservative populations off democracy - they think it's a package deal that requires them to accept all these Left-Wing ideals at the same time.

The US is possibly the most liberal state in the world. Americans are fanatical about the rights and freedoms and checks and balances guaranteed by their constitution and republic.

I'm still reading conflicting reports about the coup.
    Support within the military is hard to gauge; it seems questionable that the coup elements have the support (military and civil) to make the revolt stick.
    P.S.
    Liberalism and Democracy are a tension not a unity.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Still not finally resolved, but it appears that Erdogan is likely to retain power...or enhance it?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Looks like it failed. Which would be a shame. Turkey is no ally, only the military is

Over 1500 soldiers arrested
    29 colonels
    5 generals

Turkish police must be the best in the world, can I say false flag
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-16-2016 at 07:52.

Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 04-03-2021 at 00:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Looks like it failed. Which would be a shame. Turkey is no ally, only the military is

Over 1500 soldiers arrested
    29 colonels
    5 generals

Turkish police must be the best in the world, can I say false flag
    In the end the military was undone by a number of factors I think:

Reduced Kemalist faction, lack of general support among the populace and a general unwillingness of the military to shoot civilians.

In the end the military was undone by a number of factors I think:

Reduced Kemalist faction, lack of general support among the populace and a general unwillingness of the military to shoot civilians.
    One of the reasons Napoleon came to prominence was supposedly his willingness to use artillery against civilians. Civilian resistance doesn't amount to much when the other side are willing to wheel out and use large calibre firepower.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast