Thread: Help about modding programation MTW-VI

Default Help about modding programation MTW-VI

Hello, i need help about how mod the program. of game; example, change END date of game from 1453 to xxxx year, change title "sir" or "don" in factions, change "Lord Plantagent" to "Lord Henry Plantagenet", including the complete name in generals, things like that; i found in all files from game, but nothing, anyone can help me?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Help about modding programation MTW-VI

Hi Sultan Suleyman,

Welcome to the Org

I hope you realise that once you start modding MTW, both you and your life will be changed forever

I'll do the easy bit first:

To change the dates in the game you need to open up /campmap/startpos/[ERA].txt

where [ERA] is either VIKING, EARLY, HIGH or LATE.

Then find this section (example from VIKING.TXT):

[QUOTE]//========================================
    //Start Date and Period
    //The year in which this campaign will
    //begin and the time-period in which this
    //campaign is set.The year can be any date
    //and the period can be EARLY, HIGH or LATE
    //========================================

SetStartDate:: 793
    SetPeriod:: EARLY
    SetEarlyPeriodStartDate:: 793
    SetHighPeriodStartDate:: 1205
    SetLatePeriodStartDate:: 1321

// And the games End date..
    SetGameEndDate:: 1066

The bit to change the end date is in bold, but I'm sure you've worked that out already. Note the EARLY, HIGH and LATE files don't show an end date, but it should work if you have the Viking Invasion version and just add the extra line of text. You will need to change ALL THREE files if you want the game to end later whatever period you start in (although if you just want to make it end later if you start in LATE, say, then you can just change that one).

Changing titles like 'Sir', 'Don' etc is a little more involved...

If you open up /loc/eng/NAMES.TXT, there is a section like this: (assuming you're using an English-language version of the game, if not the 'eng' folder will have a different name)

Code:
    //Forenames & Surnames for constructed names. 
    //
    // titles

["Sir"] {"Sir "}
    	["Don"] {"Don "}
    	["Lord"] {"Lord "}
    	["Amir"] {"Amir "}
    	["Captain"] {"Captain"}
    	["Prince"] {"Prince "}
    	["King"] {"King "}
    	["Princess"] {"Princess "}
    	["Emperor"] {"Emperor "}
    	["Sultan"] {"Sultan "}
    The first column is a LABEL, the second is the TRANSLATION. If you wanted to, say change 'Amir' to 'Emir' you can change the line to read:

Code:
    	["Amir"] {"Emir "}
    and then all Amirs will be caled Emirs instead. This will affect ALL FACTIONS THAT USE THE TITLE.

For things like 'Lord Henry Plantagenet', though, things start to get even more complicated. In MTW, a full name such as 'Henry Plantagenet' is created in two parts - the forename and the surname. These are handled seperately, and once a character is given a title, the title ('Lord' etc) replaces the forename.

It is possible to change this so you get 'Lord Henry Plantagenet', but it involves a lot of work, although the basic idea is simple: you would need to set up the surname as a compound name 'HenryPlantagenet' and the forename as a blank. In NAMES.TXT the surname would then be translated like this:

["HenryPlantagenet"] {"Henry Plantagenet"}

Each faction's forename and surname list is found in the file /campmap/names/DEFAULT_HEROES.TXT (or VIKINGS.TXT, for that era)

This file has numerous lists of names and each faction is pointed to the right list

SET_SURNAMES:: FN_ENGLISH 1

The list is further down the file:

// 1: english_surnames
    ADD_SURNAMES::
    "Plantagenet"
    "Howard"
    "Cromwell"
    "Pole"
    "Talbot"
    "Stanley"
    "Roos"
    "Mobray"
    "Grey"
    etc
    etc

NOW if you change the first Plantagenet to HenryPlantagent, your ENTIRE ROYAL FAMILY would be called Henry (and your Kings would become 'King blank')... probably not the best outcome.

All in all, there are a lot of potential problems in there, but it could be done. However, you will need to set up a HUGE list of surnames - make a compound name of every possible forename + every possible surname and add them to the surname list. Then work through all the errors it produces, one by one....

OK, hope that gives you some pointers - with modding remember to make back ups of everything, even back ups of back ups.... better still make mods in a totally seperate install of the game, and start small. Make a small change, test it, move on when you know it works. And go through the forums here, as well. Most modding questions have been answered somewhere or other, though you may have to go back a long way to find some things. There are a few guides that have been made. It may be worth starting with one of these and checking to see if you get the same results. Good luck
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member thankful for this post:

Hi again, please, you can explain me this file campmap/starpost/any era:
    Place Faction Leaders
    SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 4 8 1 4 7 2 3 11 2 1

What is the meaning of this numbers? i dont understand

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Sultan .....
    The answer you seek has been answered from long long ago !
    starting point is here ....

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...os-files-in-VI

& then use search engine with keyword "startpos" for more to read & learn
    Macsen maybe is busy with his own mod .

enjoy the search & studying
    cheers
    D
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 08-06-2016 at 03:43.

Once question more, how custom portrait in Famous King, in that line say -1 for random and i put 23 from folder (portraits/catholic/kings/king23.tga) for one special, but not change nothing, what am I doing wrong?

Hi Sultan

OK, first off:

SetStartLeader:: FN_BYZANTINE 4 8 1 4 7 2 3 11 2 1
    If you look at the [ERA]_HEROES.TXT file you'll see the Byz have ten royal names listed. This bit in the startpos file means your starting king will be King (Name 0) IV.

Any subsequent kings will have had as many predecessors as are listed here, so when you get your first King with the next name (name 1), he will be King (name 1) IX. This need not be your NEXT king though. MTW normally names the first-born prince the same as the starting king, so you are more likely to see King (name 0) V. But should you carelessly lose your first two sons in battle, you are very likely to have the third son take the throne and he would be King (name 2) II. If you were even more careless it might be son four, in which case he would be King (name 3) V.

And to part two:

Once question more, how custom portrait in Famous King, in that line say -1 for random and i put 23 from folder (portraits/catholic/kings/king23.tga) for one special, but not change nothing, what am I doing wrong?
    The simple answer is that you are doing exactly the same thing wrong that I did, until I worked it out

The more useful answer is that you must check a few things - first look at the startpos file and see if your faction has a 'portraits override' set - it may be set to 'MUSLIM' or 'VIKING' or something totally different in a mod. Then once you have checked that, you know which portraits folder to use.

But the MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is that FAMOUS KINGS and HEROES do NOT use the 'Kings' and 'Generals' sub-folders as you would expect, but the MISC subfolder. To get your famous king portrait, copy your King23.tga into the MISC sub-folder, the RENAME it to the next FREE filename (so if you have 3 TGAs make it MISC04.TGA). Then you call that from from your HEROES.TXT -- remembering that the MTW engine starts lists at 0 and not 1 - hence to call MISC04.TGA as your portrait, you must enter number 3 as the portrait entry for your king.

Hope this helps you (and anyone else looking for the answer, of course!)

(EDIT to add: to double check this, take a look at the hero entry for Joan of Arc, and find where her portrait comes from. The reason the MISC folder is used is to stop random generals having the same portraits as your unique heroes)
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 08-06-2016 at 23:34.

Discussion forum thread

I putted:

PortraitsOverride:: FN_12 "muslim" *In LATE.TXT

and put my image:
    campmap/portraits/muslim/misc/misc02.tga

and finally in Famous King:
    6, 2, 4, 3, 3, 4, 1, fearsome2

and next game dont load and dont open, i had to use Task Manager for close the app. What is wrong?
    Last edited by Sultan_Suleyman; 08-07-2016 at 06:18.

Hi Sultan,

There's some differences between the mediaeval era and Viking era startpos files, and the way factions are labelled. In the med eras, they are named, in the Viking era they are numbered. I always use the 'Viking' system, because it's so much easier to work with FN_01, etc and ID_LANREG_01, etc, than try to remember what all the names are changed to in the mod

I'm not sure if the 'portrait override' works in mediaeval eras, so there are TWO things to try:

First change FN_12 to FN_TURKISH - the reference to FN_12 in the LATE.txt will almost certainly kill the game

If that doesn't solve the problem, just delete that whole line, as the Turks will default to the Muslim folders anyway

EDIT TO ADD: Deleting the whole line is the way to go - it is unneeded.

One other thing: it looks like you've altered the famous king entry for the first in the list - this would be the king who starts in EARLY. In late, the startpos gives:

SetStartLeader:: FN_TURKISH 2 8 1 4 0 3 0 3 2 1
    So it would be famous king 2 (ie 3rd in the list) that needs to be changed:

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_TURKISH 7
    //name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    6, 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, -1, educated1
    7, 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, -1, educated1
    0, 1, 3, 5, 4, 3, 1, fearsome1
    2, 1, 3, 5, 4, 3, -1, lawman1
    4, 1, 3, 5, 4, 3, -1, lawman1
    2, 2, 3, 5, 4, 3, -1, attacker2
    4, 2, 3, 5, 4, 3, -1, fearsome2
    because that is the entry that points to Osman (name 0) the First, who starts in Late.

And, once again, Sultan, your question has pointed me to another mistake I'd been making myself, so thanks for the question
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 08-07-2016 at 12:15.

Discussion forum thread

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Macsen ... your dropping more nuggets mate
    Sultan , your a lucky man .
    Edit your post to read , Potraits & Naming Kings & Generals .

I tested it to prove to myself I was right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Osman-of-Arc.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	18776

For some reason it doesn't alter the pic on the faction select menu, but it works in-game, anyway.

Discussion forum thread

YOU ARE A GENIUS BRO!!! Many thanks, it work!!! dont appear in menu select but appear in campaign!! im so happy, many thanks and long live

I have a new question... Why stats King from campaign doesnt match with stats King from Default_Heroes.txt; for example, in campaign my Prince Edward become King Edward I (c:2 d:2 p:0 a:3) and Edward I in Default_Heroes.txt have stats (c:5 d:4 p:3 a:5), i dont understand, only his portrait match.

I haven't checked this exact case but kings/heroes have a set of virtues/vices too, not all directly affect the base stats though(some are for farming income etc).

Hi Suleyman and Yan,

I believe that side of 'famous kings' is broken somehow. I often find my famous kings don't pick up their stats or vices/virtues from the heroes.txt. The only one that is reliable is the starting king. However, they do SOMETIMES get the right details. As to why, I still don't know - it could just be pure coincidence.

There is also the fact that princes get their own VnVs before taking the throne. It's possible, I imagine, to set a famous king to be an 'attacker2' in the heroes.txt, but if he's had an eventful time of being a prince first, he might have already become an 'attacker3'. Hero generals work out fine, it's just the kings that are a pain in the neck. There are so many variables, it's difficult to pin down exactly.

Discussion forum thread

You are right, I was thinking that too.