Thread: Crash between two battles ( during one turn )

Question Crash between two battles ( during one turn )

The title tells most of it...

The error screen "title" is SHOG_CPP and the message is :

"SHOG_CPP has stopped working".

[ System : Windows VISTA Home Premium SP 1 ( 32 Bit ) - 2.33 GHz with 4.00 GB Ram on a Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset. ]

The first battle was won by me and the crash occurred during the set up of the second battle ; or, to be more precise, after viewing the Battle Map and my Units ; either when I clicked on the Battle Formations Icon ( bottom leftish ) or when I clicked on a unit in order to reposition it ( as I was defending )...

Is there a way to fix / cure this, so it does not happen again ??

Thanks.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Crash between two battles ( during one turn )

Something totally off the wall here...

I play a lot of the older games myself including S1. As I have an AMD FX-6100 6-core processor, often times I have to specify which processor core I want to run the game with by using the Task Manager. As an example, I play a lot of Heroes of Might & Magic III, and if I run the game with all six cores, it crashes. By specifying that I want Core #1 only to run the game (and this game requires #1 and not any of the others), the game runs smoothly with no troubles.

I haven't played Shoggie in quite some time (new mb & processor since then), I don't know if something like this will solve the problem, but it's certainly worth a try
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

Ludens 

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I haven't played Shoggie in quite some time (new mb & processor since then), I don't know if something like this will solve the problem, but it's certainly worth a try
    It sounds very plausible, though. Let us know if it works out.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I play a lot of the older games myself including S1. As I have an AMD FX-6100 6-core processor, often times I have to specify which processor core I want to run the game with by using the Task Manager. As an example, I play a lot of Heroes of Might & Magic III, and if I run the game with all six cores, it crashes. By specifying that I want Core #1 only to run the game (and this game requires #1 and not any of the others), the game runs smoothly with no troubles.

I don't think I can do this with my Task Manager...

[ I seem to be limited to closing/monitoring processes/applications only. ]

I seem to be limited to closing/monitoring processes/applications only.
    You have to start the game first (later you can create a shortcut on your desktop that launches the game using the specified core). Alt-Tab to desktop, open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), go to the Processes tab, find Shoggie in the menu, right-click on it, and choose Affinity in the drop-down menu. In my previous example of HOMM III, I untick the 'All Processors' box (Core 0/1/2/3/4/5), and tick Core 1. Exit and return to game.

There are other games I play that require this process, but one game is enough to illustrate. If this works, I can look up how I created the launcher that eliminates having to go to Task Manager (it's been awhile)
    High Plains Drifter

Ah ...!!!

Ok, I'll try that sometime in the forthcoming week, and advise...

Thanks for the info.

Ok.

I've followed your instructions and can now reduce CPU usage to one core.

I now need to try it out sometime...

It gets worse ( albeit many many years later ) ...

I won a battle, then lost a battle, then retreated to another Province and then had a Crash after the AI decided to Assault one of my castles ; all in the same season.

I tried again ( no changes on the Campaign Map ) :

Lost the first (!), Won the second ( !!! ), retreated as before in the third, and then had the same crash at ( I believe ) the same point, in the forth...

I tried a third time ( again no changes ) :

Won the first and the second crashed .

So this time I moved my Emissary to a different province and tried again :

I won the first and second battles, retreated in the third and allowed the AI to auto calculate the forth ( rather than trying to fight the battle myself as before ) ; and the season ended without a crash . Progress...

[ Still using all four cores though... ]
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-18-2016 at 02:42.

Progress of sorts, I guess

I'm of the firm belief, after seeing all the problems running old games on new rigs, that the easiest path to keeping away grey hairs (and screen monitors in one piece) is to have an old Win98/Me rig to be the home for any game older than 10yrs. Doesn't do anything for mobile situations, but at least one can sit down and enjoy an evening of an old favorite without the dreaded CTD
    High Plains Drifter

My PC has 4 cores numbered 0 , 1 , 2 and 3. Should I try core 0 here or core 1 ?

[ OOPS - I really should not have left it so long before trying this out ( I forgot the full instructions ! ). Apparently I should use core 1 !!! Abject apologies for a dumb post... ]
    Last edited by DEB8; 08-27-2017 at 18:04. Reason: OOPS note added.