Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expanded Content Mod[adds new units and graphics]

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Expanded Content Mod[adds new units and graphics]

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    The new cavalry has more issues though, the rider is not properly placed on the horse too. I'll try to edit this first, the origin is most important, because the rectangles look alright(if the bif is more packed they need to be tailored to the different poses because now are wider). I did these by eyeballing the coordinates the last time:

I think I can see why you've been struggling with this, and I've been taking a look at the files I downloaded a couple of years ago... so bear with me.

See my point 1 on the mini-tutorial. Yes, use the 256x256 copy, not the _H 512x512. This is because the coordinates are based on the low-res version of the BIF. Second, I notice that the lo-res versions of the BIFs I downloaded were not. Although the package has the MONGHKAV_H as shown above, the low res is: MONGHKAV_f1.bmp

Similar issues arise on the other two - the horse lo-res image is: Custom0_f1.bmp and the PLATESURCOAT has two copies of the hi-res plates, rather than 1 high-res, one lo-res. As I said, without the 256x256 lo-res version, you are struggling uphill trying to get the coordinate system to work. What needs to be done is this:

1) Open up each [unit]_H.bif with ReadBIF
    2) Extract all frames to BMP
    3) Use Photoshop (or similar) to reduce size to 50% and save without the _H in the name ([unit]_f1.bmb.... [unit]_f12.bmp)
    4) Use ReadBIF to create a NEW BIF, 256x256, 12 frames
    5) IMPORT ALL FRAMES (just select the [unit]_f1.bmp, the rest follows automatically)
    6) Save as [unit].BIF
    7) Use THIS version of the file to set up your coordinates

You should then find it a lot easier, and a lot more successful
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Members thankful for this post (2):

Thanks guys! For the muslim one i wanted to have something like the info_pic of their UrbanMilitia(without the breastplate) and the first is like a FootBoyar.

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    Have you make these into full sprite sets yet, or are they at 'proof of concept' stage?
    They are not rendered. You can give feedback for possible changes.
    Since i started from a new model, i'll make the body closer to the original with narrow shoulders, long arms(e.g. ChainHlm). The old animations need to be imported as well.

Edit: Oh yes, i didn't make the lo_res versions. Thought they weren't used, i keep the game settings on hi_res.
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-28-2019 at 14:57.

Hello, YanBG! The best two graphics for the Feudal Footknights are these two Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mailed.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	22156
    and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabard.png 
Views:	83 
ID:	22157

What is so good about these two potential bifs is their versatility. With a bit of work the mailed bif could be turned into a Late Roman unit, for example. I wish I could persuade you to render both but I am not sure if you have the time.

Member thankful for this post:

YanBG 

Thanks guys! For the muslim one i wanted to have something like the info_pic of their UrbanMilitia(without the breastplate) and the first is like a FootBoyar.

They are not rendered. You can give feedback for possible changes.
    Since i started from a new model, i'll make the body closer to the original with narrow shoulders, long arms(e.g. ChainHlm). The old animations need to be imported as well.

Edit: Oh yes, i didn't make the lo_res versions. Thought they weren't used, i keep the game settings on hi_res.
    I was pretty sure the lo-res plates are never actually displayed, but as all the coordinates relate to that size, it's sooo much easier to have them to hand when working on shields and weapons etc And of course, matching riders to horses is a grand PITA at the best of times... I've seen more than my fair share of blokes hovering along a few feet above their saddles....

Unlike Leith, I am greedy and demanding I could honestly find uses for #1, #3, #4, #6 and #7 within the AGoT mod, and would LOVE a crossbow unit based on either #3 or #4 (for the Myrish xbows). I think #6 would be a great model for Summer Islander Longbows, too.

Seriously, I'm heading back towards Ancient to do a few tweaks there, and as Essosi troops would require a whole new campaign map, it's not exactly going to happen overnight
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 01-28-2019 at 21:24.

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    With a bit of work the mailed bif could be turned into a Late Roman unit, for example. I wish I could persuade you to render both but I am not sure if you have the time.
    Which one is the mailed? I keep everything in the same file, so when it's all prepared, rendering more versions is easy.
    Most additional work would be the creation of bifplates. I'm thinking of some way to automate it. I expanded my python script in blender and it can combine the frames into spritesheets too, but they are not packed like @macsen rufus could do them for example.

Edit: how many MacsenRufus there are? lol

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    I was pretty sure the lo-res plates are never actually displayed, but as all the coordinates relate to that size, it's sooo much easier to have them to hand when working on shields and weapons etc And of course, matching riders to horses is a grand PITA at the best of times... I've seen more than my fair share of blokes hovering along a few feet above their saddles....

Unlike Leith, I am greedy and demanding I could honestly find uses for #1, #3, #4, #6 and #7 within the AGoT mod, and would LOVE a crossbow unit based on either #3 or #4 (for the Myrish xbows). I think #6 would be a great model for Summer Islander Longbows, too.

Seriously, I'm heading back towards Ancient to do a few tweaks there, and as Essosi troops would require a whole new campaign map, it's not exactly going to happen overnight
    Afaik very slow PCs have the lo_res as preferred and i think i've seen them in screenshots, they make the game's graphics look worse than it is.

New Xbow is a very good idea and i had that in mind. Since only the MSHelm has the shooting stance, it was always used for all xbows. The muslim militia model would be perfect, i might even add kneeling stance too(or in another model).

Btw you don't like the guy with the hood(#5)? I have a lot of helm/hat types and don't want to add generic ones like the skull cap.
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-29-2019 at 00:01.

Good news that you can make a few variants of the same bif. The mailed unit I meant is this oneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Mailed.png 
Views:	91 
ID:	22163

YanBG 

I remember that I put together all the individual frames for the Roman legionary BIF, but really don't recall how long it took, or even how I did it... it probably involved pasting into a saved selection across 12 different layers to ensure everything lined up from frame to frame. I agree, automation would be nice, but it would be hard to write a routine.

As for #5, it's not a matter of liking him or not, it just didn't leap out at me to say 'I am a ....' like the others did

Discussion forum thread

YanBG 

The automation actually worked, angle is wrong so i'm going to re-render it anyway, also might improve some animations.
    These are the 7 actions from "PlateSurcoat" but with a bit of squeezing there can be 1 or 2 more. Which one do you want, two-handed sword/axe? Shooting probably is not needed. Kneel?

@Leith i like this player color scheme, do you still prefer the other(#3)?

Members thankful for this post (3):

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Great work Yan !
    .... the running animation on this plate is so much smoother !

YanBG 

That's a very nice animation, Yan

The way it's laid out is ideal - a two-hander might be nice, but that would alter the layout I guess.... There's a good space for weapons and shields, and setting the aninmation rectangles should be a doddle.

I can just see what you mean about the angle, it's probably about an eighth of a turn out, but that's really only noticeable on the 'front-on' set. The only thing I'd change (but not too seriously) is the dying ones seem to flop out of their frame at the bottom edge, but as you'll hardly ever see it it's not a biggie at all.

Discussion forum thread

YanBG 

Spectacular job, YanBG! I believe the other player colour scheme is better because it is different from Vanilla and close to MTW 2. Variety is the spice of life and I grow tired of MTW vanilla units' graphics. I'm glad to we have Mac on board since his contribution will be invaluable to this project.

I'm with leith on the tabard - the three-stripe version does look a bit too vanilla - I'd prefer quartering myself, but that's just a personal preference with no great argument behind it

Or for that matter, the half and half... as I say, it's just a personal pref, and really boils down to vanilla having used so many different units with the three-stripe layout, so a change is all to the good....

Discussion forum thread

I get what you guys mean and i'm sure you looked at the bifs more than i did but i think all vanilla units are still recognizable. Which 2 are too similar? I can even notice a few different settings and styles for the models(not only the 3 from VI), maybe different artists? But ok i can live with some diversity :D

#3 is like scottish clansman... #5 is king but probably won't work since units have more than 1 in them, could be a mounted guard, #9 can be steppe warrior and grenade thrower. The last one(#10) would need animation for xbow and two-handed attack(muslim UrbanMilitia).
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-30-2019 at 02:09.

Oh, you're spoiling us Yan They all look sumptuous, really knocking the original units into a cocked hat. #5 does look kingly, but even if you made a 1-man unit for royal BG, the king's own unit would still have two men. The hard-coding goes against you on that, a real pity cos he looks the part....

OK, I'm sure you know what's coming now.... could you manage Dothraki? You'd need 4 basic units: mounted archer, foot archer, mounted arakh and foot arakh... minimal clothing - leggings and vest (waistcoat, really), and long braid, with no helmet. I'd been thinking about using mongol models, but frankly, they're not right for the job.... (though your #9 looks like a superior steppe warrior, too)

And #8 would make a good Lysene pirate.....

You could have a job for life if you carry on like this

Discussion forum thread

Ay changes? Reference pictures would be helpful too.

Great work as always. The first two units are great for almost any Medieval mod, especially this one Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chosen.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	22176

YanBG 

Thank you @Leith i agree the quartering pattern was a great idea. I thought about checkered too. Do you think #2 is good for the OrderFootSoldiers?

You're welcome! I think unit #2 is great for a number of scenarios. It would be great for a Templar/Teutonic Sergeants unit if you change the helmet a bit, make it a little more foreboding. After all, this unit is meant to be the best spear-armed unit for the Western factions.

Ay changes? Reference pictures would be helpful too.
    Was that to me? I guess... let's say he looks a bit too civilised to be Dothraki The leggings and 'corset' (for want of a better word) look good, but make him bare-chested above that, and the long hair braid is also an important element.

You can get a good idea here: https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Dothraki

GRRM said the inspiration behind this culture was an amalgam of steppe nomads and native American plains tribes, if that helps - primarily mounted archers, with ability to use the 'arakh' (like a scimitar, in the books.... the TV show went the wrong way on that) and also spear/lance, and foot equivalents, of course.

ETA: the real difficulty is getting a compromise appearance that will satisfy TV-fans and book-fans, as there are a few disparities....
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 01-30-2019 at 21:28.

Discussion forum thread

YanBG 

Yes to you, i guess it didn't look like dothraki lol

Front or back braid? There is a historical steppe haircut, bald with ponytail similar to the later cossacks.

Edit: for the cavalry is new mount bif on the plate? Otherwise i'll have to match the LiHorse cutout.

I'll leave the weapon designs to you, what other disparities there are?

Animations are sword, spear and bow? Archers are different bif?
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-31-2019 at 22:48.

Yes to you, i guess it didn't look like dothraki lol

Front or back braid? There is a historical steppe haircut, bald with ponytail similar to the later cossacks.

Edit: for the cavalry is new mount bif on the plate? Otherwise i'll have to match the LiHorse cutout.
    Back braid with a full head of hair, think more like hell's angels than cossacks The wiki I linked to above will show some typical examples
    Would prefer a separate rider BIF, so I can use different mounts to make different unit types

Discussion forum thread

That braid? Anything else? He seems pretty weak, exact versions of units from movies into games often look bad
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-30-2019 at 22:33.

Oh, yes, thank you, he looks the part now, a good balance between TV and book versions

As for 'looking weak', that's as maybe - but their strength doesn't lie with equipment so much as numbers, ferocity, and a total disregard for the value of their own life (it is said that even a Dothraki wedding without at least three deaths is considered a dull affair.... )

Plus of course, their true element is really on horseback, like the Mongols. In battle it is discipline, tactics and numbers that carry the day for them; in individual fights, it is speed and guile rather than strength which count. For which, your man looks right ....

Discussion forum thread

YanBG 

I'm glad you like him. Animations are swrod, spear and bow? Any changes, like new attack? Archers are different bif?

I'm glad you like him. Animations are swrod, spear and bow? Any changes, like new attack? Archers are different bif?
    I think it should be possible to have the various weapons within one BIF each for mounted and foot.

Mounted:
    1) archer - only needs the shoot action to have a bow drawn in, I'm thinking of adding a bow in a saddle-holster as a 'shield' for the other actions
    2) sword charge/fight
    3) spear/lance charge/fight
    4) for the 'stand', have the weapon hand so it can be holding a sword or lance vertically - actually, walk can be similar

Foot:
    will only need bow to shoot with, and sword for melee (I don't think fighting on foot with a spear would be a thing for Dothraki somehow) - very much a slashing sword action, no stabbing...

Hope that all makes sense

Discussion forum thread

I haven't gotten to the archer animation yet and the cavalry would be a lot harder but in the meantime here is where i am with the base infantry:

Looks a bit blurry, might be the texture or lighting.

Yan , Those models are brilliant mate !! ...nice
    ..am i seeing two types on one bif plate ?
    cheers

YanBG 

Just 1 type, here is the bif and ActionsPage, if you want to check it.
    I further improved the run, now the torso leans more to the front like the CA ones, also the stand and rotated the death to make the rectangle smaller.
    Not sure about the charge, before it was the same as the run except for the arms but i noticed that light and heavy units have a bit different poses(peasants can hold javelin up, is it the same for polearms?).
    I might work on the attacks later, will need more of them anyway because i still want to add 1 more action at the bottom. I reordered them so the attacks are to the right, since only they change(can be wider) in the different unit bifs and you can reuse the coordinates for the first actions.

I'm going to update it, the hands will be in a fist for example. Is the size good compared to the vanilla? Can't tell because the game resizes them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by YanBG; 02-07-2019 at 03:40.

very very nice !
    look good & move good

A sterling job, YanBG, as always. I wonder if creating different bifs using the same animation is easy enough for you, such as the potential OrderFootSoldiers bif for example

YanBG 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast