Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expanded Content Mod[adds new units and graphics]

Default Re: Expanded Content Mod[adds new units and graphics]

It is, i'll render and update all when the setup is finalized.

Creating and figuring where in the bif to place the shields&weapons would be the most other work. I guess it should always start with a shield on the bottom left and weapons on the right?

Glad to hear that. Yes, this is the standard setup but you may do it differently if you wish. I hope there will be enough space for many of the shields I have in mind.

Hm, space will be like what i showed here, can't think of a way to cramp them more, unless they are cut by hand.

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    Glad to hear that. Yes, this is the standard setup but you may do it differently if you wish. I hope there will be enough space for many of the shields I have in mind.
    Just transfer the whole 512 Bif Plate straight into a 640 Bif ...you will have space to spare

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yans 2019.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	22209

its the way forward guys ! doubling our foot troops
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 02-08-2019 at 09:23.

Member thankful for this post:

YanBG 

That looks good, DTS. I agree with you. I'm concerned about cavalry though. We need better textures especially given that cavalry was the most important element in Medieval warfare. Their looks should reflect that.

@dimitrios the samian that looks good, i see there is space between the rectangles, did you reposition the actions? Also what is your workflow to place the weapons&shields? I recorded an action in Photoshop to process all frames at once.

@Leith what do you mean with "better" cavalry? Oh their size, hm... i noticed that the soldiers in cavalry bifs are smaller than the infantry ones.

Btw i still haven't tested the 640x640 bifs, my initial thought was that they reduce the definition but it might be negligible. Although i'd probably focus on 512x512 because i want to recreate the vanilla bifs. My renders look a bit pixelated in game, so i'll try different anti-aliasing options.

Here is the 5th infantry bif i have in mind, it's an EastEuro archer(for Poles, Byzantines, Russians and maybe Lithuanians etc).
    I managed to get 7 actions inside the bif, but the height had to be 110 per angle, which leaves a lot less space at the bottom for shields.
    I was wondering, how much of the player colors should cover the torso armor but i think this texture looks unique enough:

There should be 13 new bifs(including NewPeasant), you saw most of the designs already, the last few spots would be reserved for cavalry.
    Last edited by YanBG; 02-08-2019 at 17:51.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Hello, YanBG. This bif looks great as it is now. What I meant earlier is that Cavalry textures in vanilla look bad as in uninteresting, uninspired, etc. Compare this with for example MTW 2 cavalry textures and you will see what I mean.

You know what I like most about this bif? The bow!! I won't have to worry about finding the right weapon co-ordinates. Have you considered creating bifs in which the warriors already have their weapons in their hands? Look at what Duke John did with his War of the Roses units. They look fantastic. You can also take a look at Shogun Mod for MTW (Samurai8Beta). I especially like the Heavy Samurai Cavalry.

Really glad there will be 13 bifs! Make no mistake, YanBG, you are making history by adding all this eye-candy to MTW! Cannot thank you enough for doing that.

YanBG 

Oh yes, you are right i was looking at MailHCav(Feudal Knights) and LArmWCav(Mounted Crossbows) and their torso and head armor is very similar only the legs have different color. EEuroCav and SMailCav also have this mailed look but their scheme is a bit more unique.

I looked at M2TW for ideas, maybe the arab cavalry design(leather cuirass on the torso)? Or you have in mind the mailed knights? We could have another cavalry with closed helmet for early period(norman?)

Yeah the bow makes attack easier, still needs sword for melee though.
    If the weapons are fixed, the bodies can't be reused for different units(i want 5-6 per bif). But let me know if have any more input on that.

Btw do you know which cavalry bifs fit which mounts? I know few can be used with EHorse and most with LiHorse but only 2 with KHorse?
    I can use the model from my old mount to render the cavalry but the cutouts won't match LiHorse etc. Other option is to use one bif spot for new mount and all new cavalry to use only that but it's not perfect.

Leith 

Having more variety is always nice. You could look at the Feudal Knight and Knights Hospitalier (My personal favourite) in mtw 2 but Mailed knights look fine too. I'd also look at the superb Mongol Khan Guard and Royal Mameluk for Eastern-flavoured mounted units.

If we use the 640 bif as DTS suggested we can have two different units in the same bif plate but that will limit the number of possible units, granted. I am just fascinated by Duke John's units. I just hope we can get the weapon/shield co-ordinates right.

You are correct. the Khorse and the ArmHorse can only be used by few units, LaKnight and Mknight. The Ehorse is much more versatile, you can actually use with a lot of units. I especially use it with the EEuroCav...Here is a sample of what can be done: Knights Hospitalier

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knights.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	22212

It's a combination of the EuroCav bif and the Ehorse mount. How about modifying this bif. YANBG? All you need to do is change the helm, make it a full helm with some feathers/plumes...you also need to change the legs, make them armoured...and that's it. This bif has a sword, spear and bow animations. Just a suggestion in order not to start from scratch. The EuroCav in my opinion is the best Cav bif, which is why I chose to heavily modify it.

YanBG 

Hello Yan
    ... No i did not reposition rectangles ..
    I just cut n pasted the 512 bif into a 640 & used your co-ords then snapped a pic , jpeg to show you all here .
    640 Bif Plates is the way forward ..... im not sure if we lose resolution /clarity but it woulb be easy to compare .
    Just move all yr 12 frames into 640 using photoshop
    Then use BifReader & create new 640Bif .
    Then just try them out & post a few pics here .

& nice pics you uploaded they look great & will make Medieval so much better .
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 02-09-2019 at 04:07.

YanBG 

Well if we go with 640x640 i can add more actions and fill the bifs. There is time to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    Well if we go with 640x640 i can add more actions and fill the bifs. There is time to think about it.
    Yes Yan there is time .... all our mods & original MTW are functioning !
    .... ok , you must first excuse my lack of knowledge on the medieval era as Ancients is what bought me here over a decade ago .
    Ok ... With what i am doing with 640's with our Ancients , i can confidently say we can double up with Medievals as i have already mentioned .
    Medievals Mounts can also be doubled using a 640 Bif Plate , but need work on co-ordinating rectangles on the extras we add into the 640's ( the original 512's that is embeded into the 640 uses same co-ords ) .

About your Custom9 Bif ...
    >> there is some clipping which means slightly enlarging the rectangles or moving the animation within its rectangle
    >> we should also improve its walk also , as its to upright n stiff at the moment .

I will send you my thoughts by pm , as if you can adjust its skeletal angles/posture on your magic machine you use , it will serve us better for all the others new troops that follow .
    cheers
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 02-09-2019 at 05:43.

YanBG 

What do you think of this cavalry? Some animations need to be fixed.

Having blue on the model makes it difficult to find a palette and background color.
    Last edited by YanBG; 02-09-2019 at 23:58.

I like them. For Byzantine cavalry, they look good enough in my opinion.

YanBG 

Some more

This gets better and better. Marvelous job, YanBG

YanBG 

Nice designs Yan
    .... if you like i can check them out & make some suggestions on their animation/movement
    ....cheers

YanBG 

Sure, i'll have to match the death of LiHorse and adjust some of the origins.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice work Yan ..
    I downloaded & checked him out & he looks really good
    ... can be tweaked a bit for more realism but he is smooth ,
    the only animation that could be changed/adjusted is that one were he holds his hand out in front of him ..
    cheers

YanBG 

Thank you @dimitrios the samian!

Here is a final version of the heavy infantry(for the light charge and walk will be with free arms).

@Leith do you recognize the model?
    I started thinking about it and wanted to make it before i forget. Added twohand attack, it's not the same as ChainHlm(this one is for halberd), so you can make all kinds of units. Could replace the HUSCARLE for early period too.

Attached Files Attached Files

downloaded !!
    looking forward to checking it out ....
    cheers

YanBG 

Hello, YanBG. I don't really recognize the bif but I like it a lot. it is a bit close to the HUSCARLE bif though.

YanBG 

From M2TW, the model for Christian Guard, Norman Knights, Latinkon etc. I might use another texture for the mail, this looks a bit bad in game.
    Any ideas to make less like the HUSCARLE, maybe more player color?

To be honest, this bif looks great. If I were you I'd change nothing. What do you mean by saying it looks a bit bad?

YanBG 

The mail design has noise, i used that because i wanted to keep the other for the crusader infantry.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

You have been busy, Yan. Those new cavalry units provide some much needed variety

Re some of the comments above: personally I would NOT take Duke John's route with weapons - once you build a weapon right into the animation, then there's no changing it. Using empty hands leaves loads of options for multiple units in a given BIF just by changing weapons. It's a better investment in time and effort to learn how to use the coordinate system properly. Just seems a shame to drastically limit our BIFspace given all we've been doing to increase it....

And also, using 640px bifs for cavalry will need some thinking about - because of the scaling required - we need to be sure it will all match up before going too far down that road. I have a vague feeling I tried this and had trouble before, but without trawling the other threads where I related my adventures, I can't honestly remember
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 02-13-2019 at 11:56.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Cavalry has more scaling? Well i added 8 actions to the infantry, so no need for more space.
    What's the benefit of huge shields if the body is more pixelated?

Wonder if someone would like to help me adding the shields&weapons to the bifs?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Cavalry has more scaling?
    No, it has more pieces (horse + rider), and using 640px plates means the size and (relative) positioning both need to be scaled to suit. As I mentioned, I think I tried this and found it harder than expected, but can't fully recall....

Well i added 8 actions to the infantry, so no need for more space.
    What's the benefit of huge shields if the body is more pixelated?
    People go 'oooh pretty shield' rather than notice the pixelation

Wonder if someone would like to help me adding the shields&weapons to the bifs?
    You mean the grahics or the coordinates (or both)?
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    You mean the grahics or the coordinates (or both)?
    Both or i could copy the graphics from the vanilla ones. Also the black pixels on icons from BifReader are still an issue.

Testing the graphics for muslim crossbows:

nice work Yan .....

YanBG 

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast