Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expanded Content Mod[adds new units and graphics]

Default Expanded Content Mod[adds new units and graphics]

Hey all, it's time to release my mod. v1.0 http://www.mediafire.com/download/23...w3/MTW+mod.zip

Features:

- 8 new units(cavalry and infantry, all with unique icons art)
    - 3 new battle figures(made from custom models, one is a new mount)
    - 4 new building graphics(orthodox horse breeder)

All additions are available to the existing factions.
    No changes made to the old content(unit stats etc).

Limitations/known issues:

- Shield and weapon positions are off
    - Missing battle(lbm) icons for most units
    - Black dots on some of the review_panel icons

One of the new units is Dismounted Druzhina, available for the Rus factions in all periods, requires Swordsmith:

Default Re: Expanded Content Mod[adds new units and graphics]

Hi Yan! I wanted to be the first to congratulate you on such beautiful animations and units. I managed to look at the bifs but will need to create their lbms to fully enjoy the mod, which shouldn't take more than five minutes by the way. I am planning to try your mod tomorrow by playing the classical campaign so I will give more feedback later. In a word, your mod is an excellent surprise to me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Leith; 08-24-2016 at 19:59.

Thank you Leith, i appreciate that! It might be easier to use the "raw" png icons http://www.mediafire.com/download/ck...0dow/icons.zip

If you want your lbms to be included in the mod, just let me know and i'll do that with proper crediting. Can't wait to read your feedback and playthrough!

Wonderful to see another *new* mod for good 'ol MTW! Congrats on the release and thanks YanBG.

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Awesome contribution Yan .... Well done mate .
    I hope you continue on & hang around for many years to come .
    Im dl as we speak , I don't play original much , but i'll start a Campaign to see your work .
    cheers

Hi Yan! I played a few custom battles just to test your new units and I enjoyed your units' fluid animations, certainly the touch of a pro. What is even as interesting is the stat balance. Visually and statically, your units fit perfectly into the original MTW theme.

However this fun experience was marred by a few things: the weapons in particular looked they needed some more work. The black dots on the unit icons were not very enjoyable too. I feel that if you postponed the release for a few more days, this would have been one of the best mini mods for MTW. That said, I hope you will continue to improve this mod and perhaps add a few more beautiful animations like the ones you created. The MTW community needs fine talents like yourself. Thank you!

Hey all, 3 months passed but i haven't been able to get back to MTW yet. I was offered a full-time job as 3d modeler and i'm learning new software which will improve my skills hopefully.

Hey Yang! Good to hear from you! I know what you mean. I have not been working on my mod as much as I wanted to for the same reason, although my line of work is very different. Anyway I have a request! Please don't give up on this mod because your new units look fantastic. I promise to help with the new unit icons once you have gotten the shields/weapons properly positioned. Even in their current state your new units beg to be further modded! Good luck with the new job my friend!

Hi Leith! Thank you for the good wishes and the help.

Now is the time to say that all modders are free to use my battle figures, the info_pics are processed by Axalon and there is also his copyright to follow.

Good too see you back Yan
    & generous of you to allow modders to use them gratis .......
    cheers

Just to be clear here...

Any work or material that I created/co-created for this mod - was done explicitly for this mod, and no other... Thus, the info-pics are all to be regarded as restricted material at all times. If people want to use any info-pics from this mod - this in any fashion whatsoever - they must first secure permission from me as well - as Yan already granted permission on his behalf.

As for getting permissions in this case... It all depends on the context, for instance what other materials are involved or included in the intended project, what the end result looks like, the size of the project and a bunch of other factors - usually the answer from me is typically a "no permissions granted" - as that makes all things a lot easier for me that way. And, as a standing rule - I will never give permission to anything blindly.

Still, people are free to ask anyway (via PM would be advisable)...

- A

Hello. Has anyone figured the correct weapon/shield co-ordinates for the infantry bif (Platesurcoat)? I have tried many times but failed. It would be great if I could add those bifs to my mod, after undergoing some heavy modifications, that is.

What seems to be the problem? You imagine the bodies as rectangles, no?

Hello, YanBG. It is just that I'm not good at this. For me it is the hardest part of modding: getting the weapons/shields animations right. That's why I asked for help. Thanks anyway!

Yeah i'm not good with that either, but @macsen rufus might know better?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
    Yeah i'm not good with that either, but @macsen rufus might know better?
    Thought my ears were burning

The secret lies in the inner recesses of ReadBIF, it's all there, although the process / menus are not quite as intuitive as they could be. But once you've got the hang of it, it is pretty straightforward, if somewhat long-winded... perhaps I should do a tutorial some day...

But a quick intro to get you close: (try it on an existing unit to get the feel for it)

1. Open your BIF (use the regular size not the _H version - ie 256x256) - try ChainHlm.BIF
    2. Go to SPECIAL > LOAD ANIME RECT
    3. Select this from TEXTURES/MEN/ACTIONSPAGE/[unitname.txt] - try FeudalManAtArms.txt
    4. You should now have numbered, red rectangles around the animations used for that unit
    5. In the larger ReadBIF window, go to SORT ANIME SEQ INTO ACTIONS
    6. Select 'Stand' from the list then click on the top frame to the right of the list - this should be ANG1 - SEQ8 if you have FMAA loaded
    7. You can use the 'zoom' control in the smaller window to get a better view of the animation frame (1:7 is good, as from here on up you get a grid on screen)
    8. Now you can load an existing weapon (and/or shield) file with a RIGHT CLICK on the 'action' you have selected (eg 'stand') - this will bring up a new menu
    9. Select LOAD WEAPON, then navigate to Textures/Men/Items/Weapon1/FeudalManAtArms/stand.txt
    10. Next, click on ADD WEAPON OR SHIELD - the weapon file you just loaded will now be displayed in your animation frame
    11. Try running the timer, and select the other angles too, to see how it all looks. Then you can fiddle with the numbers in the boxes to see how that changes things. Weapons have two coordinates, shields have four - weapons are lines, with their length and width adjusted by the last two figures in the entries in Textures/Men/[BIF_name]/weapons.txt
    12. 'Draw weapon first' puts the weapon 'beyond' the man, which will depend on what angle you're viewing from.
    13. If you change things and want to save the new setting, go back to the 'sort' list, right-click again and use SAVE WEAPON.
    14. You can also load and save ALL weapons at once, but save this til you've had some practice
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Members thankful for this post (3):

Thank you so much, Mac! However it is still hard for me to get the weapons and shields right for this bif YanG's Platesurcoat. Perhaps it requires time and patience. Cheers

Oh, yeeaaaah... time and patience are the big things you need, but it's worth it in the end when you see your guys holding their weapons and shields properly

Discussion forum thread

Member thankful for this post:

YanBG 

Great tutorial macsen
    .... should be cut & pasted over at the Workshop .
    You should be able to breeze tru this now Leith .
    cheers

YanBG 

Wow this list of actions is very helpful, thanks @macsen rufus!

@Leith i checked the PlateSurcoat and their weapons were the most off while running, maybe because i copied the data from Saracen Inf i think and the model's animations are based on it's bif plate. Stand and fight has them close to the hands:

The new cavalry has more issues though, the rider is not properly placed on the horse too. I'll try to edit this first, the origin is most important, because the rectangles look alright(if the bif is more packed they need to be tailored to the different poses because now are wider). I did these by eyeballing the coordinates the last time:

Btw i was thinking that the new Inf is too western looking or similar to existing models and might update it.
    You can still keep this if it fits better your mod though.

Also if i have time and motivation might reskin the Roman model into a new foot archer. Just wonder which culture needs it most. Muslim, orthodox or pagan? Can be a nubian archer for Egypt.
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-27-2019 at 12:05.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Hello, folks! Thank you, Mac for the tips. Unfortunately the power cuts where I live do not leave me with much time these days.

YanBG, I see your point. I hope we can figure it out soon, dear, although I may not be of much help these days due to the power cuts. In my humble opinion, your Infantry does not look too Western. Its animation is better than so many vanilla bifs. However, you can update/modify it as you please as this means more units for this game (And more bifs for me to mod).

Ah, cavalry! MTW needs new cavalry animations so badly since the vanilla bifs aren't that good at all. What MTW also needs in my humble opinion is a bif which simulates "Armoured Sergeants", and "FeudalFootKnights" in Medieval 2 total war. If you don't have MTW 2, check the info pic for FeudalFootKnights in MTW and you will catch my meaning.

If you have the time, I would encourage you to reskin the Roman unit into a Late Roman unit, which should not be time consuming at all since you just need to give the same bif some pants and a different helm. This proposed Late Roman unit will make sure modders are supplied with Roman units for all periods. I have been thinking about making Fall of Rome 2 but the lack of good-looking Late Roman units has discouraged me.

Finally, whatever you decide to do next, YanBG, I cannot thank you enough for putting some life back into this old but fascinating game.

YanBG 

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    In my humble opinion, your Infantry does not look too Western. Its animation is better than so many vanilla bifs. However, you can update/modify it as you please as this means more units for this game (And more bifs for me to mod).
    This is a high praise! Well you are right i don't see reason for the new inf to clash with this one. Something more greek or rus looking, with leather straps and scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    What MTW also needs in my humble opinion is a bif which simulates "Armoured Sergeants", and "FeudalFootKnights" in Medieval 2 total war. If you don't have MTW 2, check the info pic for FeudalFootKnights in MTW and you will catch my meaning.
    The figure for HospitallerFootKnight has a great helm, but i agree this classic knight look is underused. What do you suggest for the outfit, tabard and a coif? I checked M2TW screenshots but this design is one of the more generic there(byzantine inf is my favourite).
    Btw i always liked the FeudalMAA info_pic having only mail hauberk but then a great custom model was made(with the big head). Also i like the muslim Arbalester and Arquebusier. TurkomanFoot's figure has similar veiled face but lacks the laminar plate.
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-27-2019 at 21:43.

Hello, again. Yes, tabard and a coif should do the trick. One has to remember that the more versatile the Bif the better since we only have 50 bif plates for all units, including mounts. Let me show you what I have done with the original ChainHelm bif:ChainHlm_H_f1.bmp

This bif is good for the Viking invasion mod, for the main campaign in MTW and if we change the helmet we can use it in ancient warfare. That's what I keep in mind while modding units: versatility. I cannot tell you exactly how it should look like unless you show me a sample of what you can do. Then we will talk some more. Cheers

YanBG 

Nice job on that bif Leith ...did you do the green n yellow dots by hand ?
    & i agree the original MTW mounted riders are all poor quality
    How nice it would have been if Duke John had given us a set of mounted troops
    or better still the tools n method he used to create them
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 01-28-2019 at 01:07.

Added the "PlateSurcoat" at the end for reference/comparison.
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-28-2019 at 03:14.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Wow! You are indeed talented, YanBG! They look like Byzantine/East European units and the fourth image looks like a perfect Arab/Muslim unit. None of them looks Western though. What do you think, guys?

P.S I design/modify/create my bifs pixel by pixel, DTS. Hard and time-consuming but well worth it.

YanBG 

Here are a few versions of the feudal knight. Which is closer to what you had in mind? I have some more different modeled armors but only a few good looking textures and some are similar so i shift them around:

I just figured by tabard you meant a player colored part like the original MTW style?
    Btw i had these outfits\props laying around from another project. This is also a new human mesh.
    Last edited by YanBG; 01-28-2019 at 03:18.

nice models yan ...i see two asians in their also ! .... great to see them on the battlefield ...cheers

YanBG 

Some very nice models there, YanBG

I could definitely see uses for some of them - number 7 looks like a perfect peasant or low-grade rebel sort of skin. Much better than the vanilla offerings, and quite a few of them (when I put my Game of Thrones spectacles on) look decidedly Essosi in flavour

Have you make these into full sprite sets yet, or are they at 'proof of concept' stage?

Discussion forum thread

YanBG 

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast