Thread: HDMI to TV - video

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default HDMI to TV - video

A rather similar question to Frag's other thread...

I have an HDMI cable and I want to connect my laptop to my TV to play the games / YouTube on the TV directly. However, the TV tells me - Video not Supported. It's a Phillips flat screen TV, has both an HDMI and a SCART, any way I can make it to show video?

Last edited by edyzmedieval; 09-11-2016 at 14:19.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: HDMI to TV - video

You weren't by any chance trying to feed it a higher resolution than it supports?

Other than that I have no ideas at the moment, assuming you covered the basics like setting the input correctly, telling your notebook to output on HDMI and so on.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

My TV is good on HD, so technically it should support 1920x1080 which is my laptop resolution. Should I lower the resolution?

I found it odd that it told me Video not Supported...

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

What made me a bit sceptical is that it has a SCART and an HDMI connector. A 1080p TV can surely have SCART, but perhaps it supports only 720p or so? Would have to know the exact model to look it up.
    Unless Video not Supportted means it only supports audio via HDMI, but that would be weird. I think the signal your laptop outputs should be compatible in general since HDMI is a standard. I'd usually also expect the laptop to detect the resolution of the TV, so maybe there is another bug there, but I'm not a TV expert.

Somehow the laptop picked up the TV because it changed my resolution all of a sudden when the HDMI cable was connected, so it does have some sort of working connection I guess.

I'm not necessarily interested in the audio - my ASUS has Bang & Olufsen audio so I'm good with that, I just want to see the video being played properly on the screen...

It also has an S-Video connecter - and audio jacks too. What's the S-Video for?

Proud

Been to:

S-Video and SCART are older standards, HDMI is a modern one and should work best for connecting TVs and Computers.

If the connection is established and the TV uses the HDMI port as a source, then I'm not sure why it would give an error, could be an issue I'm not aware of or a wrong setting somewhere or something could not work correctly.
    Just to be sure:

1. You did change the TV's input to HDMI if it does not do so automatically?
    2. When you look at the Windows settings for monitors, you can see the TV, access its settings and did set a dual-diplay mode if it was not set automatically?
    3. Which OS are you using anyway?

I switched to HDMI, it doesn't do so automatically, hence why it gave me the Video Not Supported.

I didn't check the settings to be fair, I just saw the Video not Supported and took out the cable. It changed my resolution, as I said. I'll look into it.

I'm using Windows 7.

Proud

Been to:

change the settings of your TV screen