Thread: Normal is too easy, Hard tends to frustrate me any advice?

Default Normal is too easy, Hard tends to frustrate me any advice?

Historically I've played TW titles on Hard as I found normal too easy.

I think with the stray from historical references I'm a little too vanilla to my approach to enjoy hard difficulty out of the box. But normal is literally a cake-walk. I rarely encounter the Chaos hordes as they usually get wiped out before clearing the northern reaches.

However with Hard I'm stopped at every turn.

I think I play too conservatively for hard and don't take enough risks. IE I waste turns building stacks that can trounce their opponents, whereas using lighter stacks would allow me to employ multiple forces towards multiple objectives leading to a bigger empire sooner.

Any thoughts comments?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Normal is too easy, Hard tends to frustrate me any advice?

I haven't played Warhammer - so probably not the best advice you can get - but what I do advise you is to learn your way through Hard until it becomes manageable.

Similarly, look at tactics employed by other players, and especially well known YouTubers like DarrenTW and LegendOfTotalWar.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Thanks,

I played hard consistently in S2TW. haven't played enough of R2TW or ATW to really take on much challenge and can't recall if I tanked normal or moved on up in ETW/M2TW or RTW.

Sigh.... oh well.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Pro tip - I played as Legendary on R2TW and won the game with Egypt. Try it out to get used to the hard difficulty mechanics.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Well, I am not such a hardcore player and usually just like to enjoy my games on Normal or Hard.
    But one of your comments struck me.

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    I rarely encounter the Chaos hordes as they usually get wiped out before clearing the northern reaches.
    I did play the Orc campaign on Normal and by the time I had defeated the rival orc tribes and the dwarfs, Chaos had wiped out Kislev and almost completed defeated the Empire. In fact, Chaos where the most challanging of all enemy armies.

So perhaps in your game, they just got off on a bad start and lost a battle early on, which sent them on a downward spiral.

Other than that, I think I play quite similar to you: too conservative and looking to attack when I outnumber the enemy. It is usually possible to beat the AI when the power bar is 50:50 or even slightly against you. But then, too many Pyrric victories will also cost you the campaign in the end. So I guess the art lies in finding the middle way :)

The insider guide of Frazzle-G should help a lot. Nowadays due to work I autoresolve mostly which has impacted my way to wage war compared to younger years. I tend to employ now cheaper units on mass to overwhelm the enemy. In Warhammer the tech tree and the general can give those huge boosts.
    "Silent enim leges inter arma - For among arms, the laws fall mute"
    Cicero, Pro Milone

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander Ardens View Post
    The insider guide of Frazzle-G should help a lot. Nowadays due to work I autoresolve mostly which has impacted my way to wage war compared to younger years. I tend to employ now cheaper units on mass to overwhelm the enemy. In Warhammer the tech tree and the general can give those huge boosts.
    So similar to Ask The Pizza Guy's old M2TW games conquering the world with peasants?

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    So similar to Ask The Pizza Guy's old M2TW games conquering the world with peasants?
    Not quite, but so far in any TW game solid low-tier units led by able generals had their specific advantages. This doesn't mean a priori that they are more efficient per currency unit but there is a case for them in general and specifically in TW:Warhammer.

Beside the pretty efficient stats of basic Empire and Dwarfen infantry the generals can considerably boost them in absolute values with four level points just like early research can quickly do. Those units are then available in any freshly conquered region in at least two turns. This early phase is generally also the critical phase in which the campaign gets decisively shaped or even won.

So basically you have lots of incentives to go down that path and after you did there is a reinforcing cluster of abilities and tech which makes less sensible to switch in the short term to other units. Of course certain higher tech-ones can later complement the low-tier stack mix, for example heavy cavalry or artillery for the Empire.

Interestingly Warhammer is the first TW of which I'm aware in which each new general induces increasingly high extra upkeep. Maybe this also helps the AI.

OA
    "Silent enim leges inter arma - For among arms, the laws fall mute"
    Cicero, Pro Milone

I always try to play the highest difficulty first, you can try to use any guides or search online with parts where you have problems

One thing that is nice in Warhammer 2 is that you can develop "tall" over developing "long". That doesn't neccesarily mean that one should turtle in the same few provinces forever, however it is more beneficial to turtle sometimes rather than constantly expand. This is especially pertinent when you are facing a human player as if you are stuck spamming low tier units mass expanding while dealing with rebels with thin margins of error, another human player can capitalize upon your weakness. So it depends on your playstyle to be honest and the playstyle of either your AI or human opponent.