Thread: Crusaders vs Romans

Since we still have no certainty about the sequel, I would be interested in your opinion which period is better.
    I have to confess I don't know enough about the Roman Period. Personally I think it was a very colourful time, and is unique in that it covered most of Europe. However, i am a bit afraid that it would be boring, because basically roman warfare was about Infantry, discipline and quadratic formations.
    IMHO the Crusaders Period is the most interesting period of war in histora and fits the STW Engine perfectly. The whole theater was torn into small areas ruled by their individual ambitious leaders. War was commonplace. The look of weapons, armour, and heraldry was fantastic. People went to the Holy Land full of zeal, because they thought they were actually go to heaven!
    But what I particularly like is the role that castles played at the time. If Creative assembly get it right, there should be long, graphically stunning sieges with catapults, siege towers, mining of walls, etc ... As far as I remember there has never been a game that accurately depicted medieval sieges before, so this could be really something.
    Waiting for comments

California, Sacramento U.S. --*Originally from: South America Lima, Peru

Have you guys played a game called "WALLS OF ROME" by mindcraft?

That's how the sieges should be ....... only they should make it 3D......

AWSOME GAME

------------------
    If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.

Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.

Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

Never heard of this one, what a shame. I did however play Defender of the Crown on my C64 around '87. The double sided Diskette was as impressing as DVD today, and there were comments like "..looks like a movie!" That is hard to believe today, but it was one of best games of all time. I can still remember the Music, though its 15 years ago!

I agree that the 12th century is a good fit for the S:TW strategy game due to the many similar principalities involved. However Rome is much better for the tactical game because Romans really DID fight in formations of homogeneous troops as did many of their enemies. The Japanese did not nor did Middle Age European armies. They should fight like the mobs they were. With the engine as we know it today they can't. Medieval infantry should not march and behave like the Coldstream Guards. Roman legions could and did.

Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Yeah, medieval Japanese, Europeans, and Arabs alike were always mobs charging at each other. The S:TW engine depicts the samurai as the Roman legions would have behaved. Also, sieges in ancient times were just as exciting as medieval sieges. I mean, think about Constantinople. It had walls meters thick, and the area the walls surrounded was far larger. Which would you rather have, a city battle in which there are forces tactically arrayed in a way displayable by the Shogun engine, or medieval castles which are essentially one unit with archers stationed vertically (so they can't be directly ordered there) along walls?
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

That is absolutely correct: Medieval armie were much less disciplined than Romans. Units often decided on their own when to attack or to flee. I still think it's fun, because they DID fight a lot.
    Well I guess everybody would be happy about the Romans, too. Which you prefer seems to be more a question of taste.

Found a very good link on medieval warfare:
    http://www.hyw.com/books/history/Medi0000.htm

Still have to read it, though :-)

If we talk about morale and discipline, we have to realize that during the crusades there were at least 5 different types of warriors :

1.Tafurs
    basically scrappickers who fought with clubs , scythes etc .. even cheaper than Ashis
    2. Conscripts
    Footsoldiers
    3. Volunteers
    The Military Orders.
    4. Nobility
    Knights (Cavallery)
    5. Mercenaries

And I think there should also be people who just have to defend themselves, like townsfolk during a siege or pilgrims..

I think this basic structure should be reflected in morale, discipline and armament of the units in the game.

.. and this is only one (the frankish) side, the Muslims had their own unique way of fighting!!

Quote Originally posted by Bohemond:

Found a very good link on medieval warfare:
    http://www.hyw.com/books/history/Medi0000.htm

Still have to read it, though :-)
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. Don't know much about medieval warfare and this will help.
    --RADAN--
    (The SAMURAI HERO Ashigaru)
    A member of CLAN..what no CLAN??