Thread: Play matchmaker for me: I'm looking for a person who voted Obama, then voted Trump.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Play matchmaker for me: I'm looking for a person who voted Obama, then voted Trump.

Hey folks

I know there may not be that many of them out there, but I'm still going to try here and on a bunch of sites I frequent.

I'm looking for someone who voted for Obama in 2008 or 2012, then voted for Trump.

Especially if you're from one of the rust belt states, or Florida, but not needed.

After this election, I want to talk and pick your brain a bit. This election made your voice heard, but there's more to it than that. I think the repudiation of both the DNC and the RNC is something we can build on.

As you probably already know, I'm quite liberal. So only if you want to talk.

Not sure any other way to find you except by asking. So that's what this thread is about.

Can post here or PM me directly. Thanks!

If you aren't someone like that but know someone, and would be so kind as to act as a matchmaker of sorts, it'd be helpful and appreciated.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Play matchmaker for me: I'm looking for a person who voted Obama, then voted Trum

You rang?

id like to answer the questions publicly. The answers may come later. I have other types of procrastination to get to.

i read the question wrong. I castes a R protest vote because Trump is henious. I did vote Obama though
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 11-10-2016 at 17:08.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Default Re: Play matchmaker for me: I'm looking for a person who voted Obama, then voted Trum

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    You rang?

id like to answer the questions publicly. The answers may come later. I have other types of procrastination to get to.

i read the question wrong. I castes a R protest vote because Trump is henious. I did vote Obama though
    What does that mean, did you vote for a different republican than Trump?

If you're someone who votes Republican sometimes but voted for Obama, I probably can talk to you too even if you're not precisely the voter I'm searching for.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

T:38-60
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-11-2016 at 21:55.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Checking Facebook, it seems I know one Pakistani-American guy from highschool who, since this August, has been posting up a storm of Trumpian formulas, along with links to Breitbart and re: Nigel Farage, including celebration of Trump victory. IIRC he voted Obama in 2012. He is a fan of European literature and Japanese cultural products (a self-admitted weeaboo) who as of early this year seemed to be caught in a deep personal malaise. If I knew of a simple way to avoid crossing streams between RL identity and ORG identity I would connect you to him. Any ideas?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Why would Obama->Trump vote be so strange?

Any person particularly not affiliated with either party and dissatisfied with how the current system is working out could have voted Obama, and after witnessing very little change could have easily voted Trump.

I don't think the point was its novelty or incoherence, but the specific views of individuals that OP is seeking out.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    What does that mean, did you vote for a different republican than Trump?

If you're someone who votes Republican sometimes but voted for Obama, I probably can talk to you too even if you're not precisely the voter I'm searching for.
    I wrote in a republican candidate after back to back votes for Obama. In general I'm a pragmatist but I could never live in Portland, ya dig?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I'm looking for someone who voted for Obama in 2008 or 2012, then voted for Trump.
    That would fit my voting pattern, but I'm not sure that I'm entirely what you're looking for. My vote would have gone third party in this election were it not for the need to block Hillary's intended misadventures in Syria.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I wrote in a republican candidate after back to back votes for Obama. In general I'm a pragmatist but I could never live in Portland, ya dig?
    My wife was raised in Portland. She is never going back. Says they are all way too "granola" and whacked.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post
    That would fit my voting pattern, but I'm not sure that I'm entirely what you're looking for. My vote would have gone third party in this election were it not for the need to block Hillary's intended misadventures in Syria.
    No, you're perfect.

If you've voted Obama and the democrats in the past, that means there was a time when they stood for, or against, something that mattered to you, and they lost your support. Given that Clinton under-performed Obama by about 10 million votes, and Trump under-performed Romney by a little, the reason why Trump won is more because the Democrats lost supporters. Some few went to Trump himself. Most of those lost voters didn't bother to vote it would seem. Mainly I'm looking for, what the Democratic party would need to stand for to re-earn your vote, or what things the Democrats can and should oppose from the Republican Congress and presidency to get you to block them back.

Right now, with the establishment of the DNC needing new leadership and change, the party could progress more liberal, less liberal, or simply address platform issues. The time to change the Democrats is now, since they require our support to gain any kind of power again. The question is, how do they re-earn votes.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I know what they need to change to get my more enthusiastic support, but that might not appeal to a broader coalition. So I'm trying to figure out what a liberal like me and a recent anti-Hillary voter to agree on as a platform. I'm betting there's common ground. For whatever reason, likely the neglect of the working class, there's some common ground between trump supporters and bernie supporters.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

At this point, my main priority is getting together whatever kind of coalition is necessary to prevent the court from going 7-2 for the next 40 years, overturning much of society's progress in protecting liberties and equality.

If there needs to be more investment in jobs in the rust belt and less intervention in Syria, I'm kind of agnostic about the odds of us getting involved in Syria having a positive effect anyway. And I've always been for investment that brings jobs.

McConnell is already saying things to the effect of he's not actually going to bring jobs back to coal country, since it's the private sector.

Seems like Republicans are going to bungle the opportunity they have to actually capitalize on voter anger with Democrats.

So, let's put together a platform that Trump supporters and liberals could agree on that actually works.

The Trump vote has basically overthrown the Democratic establishment. Next we need to do is overthrow the Republican one, and put better policies together on either front.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

No, you're perfect.

If you've voted Obama and the democrats in the past, that means there was a time when they stood for, or against, something that mattered to you, and they lost your support.
    Not really. 2008 was the first year I could vote for president. I really hadn't looked terribly closely at the candidates. All I knew was that I really didn't like a lot of what Bush had done and Obama was running on change. If I had followed things more closely, I might have been able to tell that the changes Obama would actually bring had little to do with the problems I saw in Bush.

what the Democratic party would need to stand for to re-earn your vote
    You could try abandoning the war mongering in the Middle East. The US is grossly overextended economically and war is expensive. You could also reassert 4th amendment protections. Both of these would be positive changes to your platform from my perspective.

I can't speak to what will capture rust belt voters, as there are intrinsic problems with our economy that are going to be incredibly difficult to resolve. These problems are increasingly global and policy changes alone will not be sufficient to address them.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TBFProgrammer View Post
    Not really. 2008 was the first year I could vote for president. I really hadn't looked terribly closely at the candidates. All I knew was that I really didn't like a lot of what Bush had done and Obama was running on change. If I had followed things more closely, I might have been able to tell that the changes Obama would actually bring had little to do with the problems I saw in Bush....
    This is as succinct a summary of the '08 election as I have seen. Kudos.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken