Thread: What is the meaning of Axe, Club and Sword in unit-prod.txt

Exclamation What is the meaning of Axe, Club and Sword in unit-prod.txt

Greetings my fellow modders! I often wondered what the terms Axe, Club and Sword meant at the end of the unit stats in the unit production files. I figured out the meaning of Spear. It negates the cavalry charge bonus as far as I can remember. If you could help me figure out the rest, I'd be grateful. This is especially important for the new mod I have been working on. Thank you in advance for any input!

Regards

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: What is the meaning of Axe, Club and Sword in unit-prod.txt

Hi Leith,

It determines how well differently-armed units fight each other - I can't remember all the details, but I think SWORD gives an attack and a defence bonus, for instance. IIRC, there is a thread somewhere in the Repository that deals with this EDIT: unfortunately, I can't find it now.....
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 11-15-2016 at 03:30.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

IIRC, an axe has an armor penetration bonus, and a sword has some kind of special bonus against spear units. Dunno about clubs.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

I've been asking similar question sometime ago and didn't get too many answers.

I can only add this:
    the AP forumula is (armor - 1)/2 for foot, and (armor - 2)/2 for horse. And, shields don't count when making this calculation.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I don't think using Axe in this column triggers the AP bonus, there is already the "Armour Piercing Weapon" column for that. I believe this is just for the infantry RPS modifiers.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I don't think using Axe in this column triggers the AP bonus, there is already the "Armour Piercing Weapon" column for that. I believe this is just for the infantry RPS modifiers.
    You're right. I created that thread a long time ago when I was... younger .
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

I doubt it means much more then which sound-set to play as to match each weapon. The armor-piercing stuff is already determined in another column (as suggested) - and by default designs it only goes for axes. Swords have no bonus suggested anywhere within the relevant file - as far as I can tell via the Gnome-editor (if memory serves). Spears have (traditionally) bonuses which are set in columns 62-63, and possibly some other hardcoded ones beyond the file. In short, it probably only deals with which sound-set to play... (As far as I can tell).

- A