Thread: Sneaky AI

Has anyone experienced the ai withdrawing its 8* general so that you cant reduce the valor of his 5000+ troops during the battle, last night i had 1000 men defending a large castle and thought ok everyones honor 5-6 but if i can kill their gen i have a good chance, next thing i know hes withdrawn from the battle right at the start of the game hehe, I got my sorry byz but whipped

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

The AI usually does that now when the general`s unit is down to one. This makes it very difficult to kill high level veteran generals. That means less easy victories by shooting the general. However, there should be a penalty for doing this.

I have seen this too.

Killing the enemy commander is the thing to try when grossly outnumbered. I am always reminded of the final battle in The 300 Spartans where Leonidas forms a wedge to go after Xerxes.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

will the withdrawing general get 'good runner'?

a couple of times i've prepared for an attack, then realised I've forgotten some key unit, or that my opponent has some sort of major advantage and so i've withdrawn the whole army, which seems to score a 'good runner' vice.

Hey, running should be a virtue As a long distance runner myself, I can attest that good running skills has saved me from certain demise at the hands of dogs, cats, children, adults, cars, squirrels, moose, and rabid mailman (the moose is a stretch). If I can be saved from these malignant creatures, than being a good runner can also save you from many things in Medieval, as well as being able to charge faster. Anyway, what if he is such a good runner that he runs away, goes around the earth, and then rear attacks the enemy army
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

I haven't experienced this myself but this has got to be an improvement over the "charge of the light brigade" tactics the enemy generals sometimes used pre-patch.

I almost felt sorry for the brave little bastard as he was riddled with crossbow bolts...almost

As for good runner, I think you get that just for thinking about moving backwards...tis a right in pain in the rear.
    Never trade blows with the enemy.

I like how the post patch AI makes some attempts to save its generals as opposed to pre-patch killing the enemy general with arrows at the beginning of every battle . I've been attacked a few times lately and never even saw the little stinker on the field. The AI must have withdrawn him ASAP. An army should lose the general's valor bonus when he leaves the field IMO.
    - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke