Thread: Longbows

i have Wales and the bowyers master guild etc..But i cant build them Is this because im plyin early era?OR can i build them when i get 2 a certain date?
    Sorry im a NooB 2 sp....

Same goes for Billmen also???

You've got to wait until the middle period before you can build longbowmen an billmen...starts about 1205.

My campaign had something weird though. It's only 1111 and the Italians already have a firegalley while I have to wait until 1205 to get mine (Byzantines).

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

The high era is the date that longbows came be used from.

In the high era these are a awesome tool, use them well, and nobody will stand in your way. They need to be defended well.

Unfortunitly the game does not allow for the best use of the games, pikes, pits etc................

The agincourt map is a poor representation of the actual battle field as is Crecy.......

Its a pity
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Yeah, this is one of the things that disappointed me as well. I figure the game should reward you for teching up quickly (read: strategically). If i pay the money to tech up to longbows by 1152, i should get them, not just a whole lot of expensive (virtually useless) buildings.

But that's a minor gripe. Easily solved by starting the game in the high period, but not nearly as satisfying as dominating early with (relatively) elite units. Not to mention it's nice to be able to field a missile unit that can damage armoured troops.
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ShadesWolf @ Jan. 06 2003,17:44)]The high era is the date that longbows came be used from.

In the high era these are a awesome tool, use them well, and nobody will stand in your way. They need to be defended well.
    Historically, there's some uncertainty as to exactly when the use of longbows became widespread. Records in Britain at the time did not distingish between longbows and shortbows, only between bows and crossbows.

How do I know this? I read books, thats how. I'm smart

Palace of the Porphyrogenitus, Constantinople

I'm not so sure about restricting crossbows to the high period either, as there is archaological evidence of their use at Hastings (albeit in fairly small numbers). As for not allowing the Byzantines to use firegalleys until 1205, thats just plain daft. Does anyone know when archery practise became compulsory in England? I would guess that law would have been passed after the introduction of the longbow.

I read their were Longbows in the battle of Hastings 1066?

I was very angry after i took over Wales playing as England , i wanted to produce Longbow's there, but after all needed upgrades i had nothing... :-(

You must excuse my incorrect post above, the info i got from that post came from another site, which you can find linked off the orgs main site actualy ;-)

Here's what i found
    "Early 12th Century: The Longbow was developed from a Welsh bow that had been used against the English. During the numerous skirmishes with the Welsh, the English had witnessed the power of this weapon. "

Early 12th Century

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

I dont mean to bore you all with these, but if u are interested, here are a few links. Info from these links is what I used for the stuff on my web site .

Archery articles

English longbow Q/A

Longbow links

BTW if you are interested Robert Hardy is recognised as a expert on the subject, and has wrote a very informative book on the subject.
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Hehe... funny article about the returning arrow...
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

The reason for restricting Longbows, Crossbows, and Billmen to the High Era is simple. If they were available from the beginning, along with the valor bonuses from Wales and Mercia, the English would own half of the map by 1200 every time.

Go back pre-patch and try it. You can't lose.

Rex

i like the challenge i just wondered.....

Senior Member Senior Member Hakonarson's Avatar

Longbows were used the world over from perhistoric times if you want to get picky about it - but, for example, 5 foot long Viking longbows were only drawn to the chest.

English/Welsh longbows as used at Crecy, Poitier, Falkirk, etc appeared were a product of south Wales, the North Welsh prefering spearmen.

They appeared in English armies first as small numbers of mercenaries before Edward I in 1272 - by 1287 Edward had conquered most of Wales, and in 1300 he made his son and Heir Edward (to become Edward II) Prince of Wales and Count of Chester and large numbers of them served from about this time.

so allowing them from 1205 is really quite generous,

The answer to spending money on the buildings and not geting any return is to spend more wisely on buildings and don't build advanced ones until they do provide some return