Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 2389

Thread: Trump Thread

  1. #2341

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    I always strive to present high-quality auto-satire:

    Trump ordered 15,000 new border and immigration officers — but got thousands of vacancies instead

    Two years after President Trump signed orders to hire 15,000 new border agents and immigration officers, the administration has spent tens of millions of dollars in the effort — but has thousands more vacancies than when it began.

    In a sign of the difficulties, Customs and Border Protection allocated $60.7 million to Accenture Federal Services, a management consulting firm, as part of a $297-million contract to recruit, vet and hire 7,500 border officers over five years, but the company has produced only 33 new hires so far.


    The president’s promised hiring surge steadily lost ground even as he publicly hammered away at the need for stiffer border security, warned of a looming migrant invasion and shut down parts of the government for five weeks over his demands for $5.7 billion from Congress for a border wall.

    The Border Patrol gained a total of 120 agents in 2018, the first net gain in five years.
    @Pannonian You have nothing on the US when it comes to shady government consulting contracts.

    Officials could not “provide complete data to support the operational need or deployment strategies for the additional 15,000 additional agents and officers they were directed to hire,” the inspector general’s office wrote.
    hee
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  2. #2342

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    He could hire people who ironically want to immigrate to America, kind of like when the newly immigrated Irish were recruited for the Civil War.
    Wooooo!!!

  3. #2343
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    10,801

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    He could hire people who ironically want to immigrate to America, kind of like when the newly immigrated Irish were recruited for the Civil War.
    The Irish brigade used the cry 'Faugh A Ballagh' in part because some of its members didn't have enough English to use instead. They were taken from the boat to a train depot, given the blue coat and shipped to war.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  4. #2344
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    10,801

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    The essence is racism which is cozily cloaked in a "personal freedoms" mantra.

    It's one of the reasons I refuse to call the white supremacists who make up the backbone of Trumps coalition Nazis. Calling them Nazis takes the blame off of America. Nazi is something you can use to hand wave America homegrown white supremacy.
    Good stance on the naming issue.

    I am endlessly flabbergasted at how many Americans cling to white supremacy -- to racist concepts in general. They simply don't compute on anything resembling a rational level. And I am not setting a particularly high bar for rationality here. Ardent smokers who smoke despite the warnings figuring they can "get away with it for a few years then quit" are on steadier ground than racists with their misbeliefs. Saddening.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

    Member thankful for this post:



  5. #2345
    Backordered Member CrossLOPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brass heart.
    Posts
    2,265

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Good stance on the naming issue.

    I am endlessly flabbergasted at how many Americans cling to white supremacy -- to racist concepts in general. They simply don't compute on anything resembling a rational level. And I am not setting a particularly high bar for rationality here. Ardent smokers who smoke despite the warnings figuring they can "get away with it for a few years then quit" are on steadier ground than racists with their misbeliefs. Saddening.
    I like how they deny their racism now, and simply state "facts". That's my favorite.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

    -><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

  6. #2346

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    dates

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twirtead.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	22183
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Members thankful for this post (2):



  7. #2347
    Backordered Member CrossLOPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brass heart.
    Posts
    2,265

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    dates

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twirtead.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	22183
    I don't know what the strategy is called, but it exists, and it involves ignoring these hilarious lapses in memory. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say that the recent push for marijuana legality was part of a plot to destroy the public's short term memory capacity so that propagandists don't have to try as hard.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

    -><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

  8. #2348

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    I don't know what the strategy is called, but it exists, and it involves ignoring these hilarious lapses in memory. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say that the recent push for marijuana legality was part of a plot to destroy the public's short term memory capacity so that propagandists don't have to try as hard.
    It's a cheat code called "Repeat a lie often enough..."

    Even better if it's a recurring event, like the Dow Jones oscillating, a brown person killing someone, the weather being cold.
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  9. #2349

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    "Execute the baby" is my core sense of humor.
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  10. #2350
    Backordered Member CrossLOPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brass heart.
    Posts
    2,265

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    US President Donald Trump will declare a national emergency to fund his planned border wall with Mexico, the White House says.

    He is to sign a border security bill to avert a government shutdown - but also act to bypass Congress and use military funds for the wall, a statement said.


    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47247726

    I look forward to how this short-sighted political strategy will work out once a Democratic president with leanings towards gun-control and climate change aversion will take power.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

    -><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

  11. #2351

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    So just to recap off the top of my head:

    A year ago, Democrats were offering Trump wall funding (more than he was asking for recently) in exchange for backing off DACA.

    In December, Democrats were offering $1.6 billion for general border security. Trump accepted, but backtracked and triggered shutdown when Fox News et al. got het up.

    One month of shutdown and 3 weeks intermission later, Trump gets $1.3 billion (see above post) for border security, while backing himself into making an openly despotic declaration of emergency that will almost certainly be shattered in court.


    Trump is like, an impossibly bad negotiator. He might literally be worse than Total War AI. Like game AI, he has no sense of strategy or even mammalian reciprocity.
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Members thankful for this post (3):



  12. #2352
    Shadow Senior Member Kagemusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Helsinki,Finland
    Posts
    9,538

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    I hope this is the start of the end for the Trump presidency.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

  13. #2353

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Trump: " I could do the wall over a longer period of time - I didn't need to do this [declare an emergency] - but I'd rather do it much faster. And I don't have to do it for the election; I've already done a lot of wall for the election 2020. And the only reason we're up here talking about this is because of the election, because they want to try and win an election which it looks like they're not going to be able to do."

    Also Trump: "And in the bill, by the way, they didn’t even fight us on most of the stuff—ports of entry—we have so much money, we don’t know what to do with it. I don’t know what to do with all the money they’re giving us."

    Just locker-room talk.
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Member thankful for this post:



  14. #2354
    Shadow Senior Member Kagemusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Helsinki,Finland
    Posts
    9,538

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    To me is it just ridiculous that the head of state of the most powerful country in the world declares state of national emergency because he did not get what he wanted....
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

  15. #2355
    Mr Self Important Forum Administrator Beskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    No longer in Albion
    Posts
    15,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    To me is it just ridiculous that the head of state of the most powerful country in the world declares state of national emergency because he did not get what he wanted....
    That a head of state declared a national emergency because it wants to build a wall to a neighbouring country it supposed to be on good terms with.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

  16. #2356

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Trump according to fired Deputy Director of FBI Andrew McCabe:

    Then Trump brought up Venezuela: “That’s the country we should be going to war with,” Trump said, according to McCabe’s recounting. “They have all that oil and they’re right on our back door.”
    "kek"
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  17. #2357
    Member Member Tuuvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The wild west
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    And yet somehow Maduro is evil and bad for not wanting to accept US "aid", and ordinary Venezuelans are just begging for US troops to invade their country and restore democracy, like the Iraqis were back in 2003.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 02-23-2019 at 06:15.

  18. #2358
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,521

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Just want to leave this here:



    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  19. #2359
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    10,801

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    And yet somehow Maduro is evil and bad for not wanting to accept US "aid", and ordinary Venezuelans are just begging for US troops to invade their country and restore democracy, like the Iraqis were back in 2003.
    The petro-socialism of Chavez and Maduro has been only modestly better for the people of Venezuela than the preceding Kleptocracy.


    They need a mixed economy and a middle class that is somewhat accessible and not closeted off in walled communities looking down over the fields of cardboard and tin homes.


    They need a government that encourages foreign investment -- and I mean investment to build, not investments that are vampiric -- along with genuine efforts provide a business framework that encourages their 1% to invest in Venezuela rather than US stock portfolios and Cayman Island money markets.


    They need a military that plays by "posse comitatus" rules and which does not intervene in internal politics.


    The old government was horrid, the current regime is pretty bad, and their economy is tanking.

    On the other hand, I am not seeing anything in the opposition that makes me think they'll stabilize as a moderate republic and successfully tackle their problems....pity.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  20. #2360
    Member Member Tuuvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The wild west
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    The petro-socialism of Chavez and Maduro has been only modestly better for the people of Venezuela than the preceding Kleptocracy.


    They need a mixed economy and a middle class that is somewhat accessible and not closeted off in walled communities looking down over the fields of cardboard and tin homes.


    They need a government that encourages foreign investment -- and I mean investment to build, not investments that are vampiric -- along with genuine efforts provide a business framework that encourages their 1% to invest in Venezuela rather than US stock portfolios and Cayman Island money markets.


    They need a military that plays by "posse comitatus" rules and which does not intervene in internal politics.


    The old government was horrid, the current regime is pretty bad, and their economy is tanking.

    On the other hand, I am not seeing anything in the opposition that makes me think they'll stabilize as a moderate republic and successfully tackle their problems....pity.
    I'm not in support of the Maduro government, I was just making a sarcastic remark about the way the media has been drumming up support for US intervention in Venezuela. I think the Venezuelan government has legitimate reasons for being suspicious of US aid shipments and the US military should just leave Venezuela alone.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 02-23-2019 at 20:20.

    Member thankful for this post:



  21. #2361
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,521

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    I'm not in support of the Maduro government, I was just making a sarcastic remark about the way the media has been drumming up support for US intervention in Venezuela. I think the Venezuelan government has legitimate reasons for being suspicious of US aid shipments and the US military should just leave Venezuela alone.
    Well, it's really hard wioth the intervention stuff. First people tell you to stay out and then, when there is a bloody civil war, they will tell you that you can't just watch and do nothing (bad things happen because good people do nothing) and then you intervene and then they blame you for atrocities and for having chosen the wrong side and for collateral damage, imperialism, etc.

    To some extent I would say stay out though, let them sort it out themselves. But then you always have the global competitors who then go in, help one side and gain an ally for their scheming in your backyard. I mean as bad as the USA are in that sense, I don't think much better of Russia or China. Competition is a terrible thing in that sense.

    On the bright side, once competition has killed us off through global warming, the planet will be more peaceful again.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  22. #2362
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,726

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post

    On the bright side, once competition has killed us off through global warming, the planet will be more peaceful again.
    peaceful, rather pieceful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  23. #2363
    Member Member Tuuvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The wild west
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Well, it's really hard wioth the intervention stuff. First people tell you to stay out and then, when there is a bloody civil war, they will tell you that you can't just watch and do nothing (bad things happen because good people do nothing) and then you intervene and then they blame you for atrocities and for having chosen the wrong side and for collateral damage, imperialism, etc.

    To some extent I would say stay out though, let them sort it out themselves. But then you always have the global competitors who then go in, help one side and gain an ally for their scheming in your backyard. I mean as bad as the USA are in that sense, I don't think much better of Russia or China. Competition is a terrible thing in that sense.

    On the bright side, once competition has killed us off through global warming, the planet will be more peaceful again.
    Elliot Abrams, Trump's envoy to Venezuela, used humanitarian aid shipments as a cover to ship weapons to the Contras back in the 80's, so it wouldn't be surprising if the US is again trying to smuggle weapons to the opposition in Venezuela. Aside from the army there's also armed citizen militias loyal to Maduro in Venezuela, so it seems the US's actions risk starting a civil war.

    Also, Venezuela accepted $9 million in aid from the UN back in November, so it's not as if Maduro is intentionally denying aid to his people. I think the US aid shipments are either an attempt to smuggle weapons to the opposition, or the US guessed in advance that Maduro wouldn't accept the aid after what Abrams did in Nicaragua and the aid shipments are just a ploy to make Maduro look bad.

    Members thankful for this post (2):



  24. #2364
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    10,801

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    Elliot Abrams, Trump's envoy to Venezuela, used humanitarian aid shipments as a cover to ship weapons to the Contras back in the 80's, so it wouldn't be surprising if the US is again trying to smuggle weapons to the opposition in Venezuela. Aside from the army there's also armed citizen militias loyal to Maduro in Venezuela, so it seems the US's actions risk starting a civil war.

    Also, Venezuela accepted $9 million in aid from the UN back in November, so it's not as if Maduro is intentionally denying aid to his people. I think the US aid shipments are either an attempt to smuggle weapons to the opposition, or the US guessed in advance that Maduro wouldn't accept the aid after what Abrams did in Nicaragua and the aid shipments are just a ploy to make Maduro look bad.
    Embarrassing Maduro would, I suspect, be very much in tune with US hopes for Venezuela. I suspect you may well be correct about the 'offer aid which we are certain will be refused' ploy. As to shipping in weapons, we don't have any former OSS types in the administration as did Reagan. Without Casey, the Iran Contra thing just wouldn't have happened. Still, I cannot rule it our entirely.

    As to starting a Civil War, I am not certain that it has not already begun.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  25. #2365
    Ni dieu ni maître! Senior Member a completely inoffensive name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    I live on the org, feeding off of what few thanks are tossed at my posts. It is up to you to make sure I don't starve.
    Posts
    8,310
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Meanwhile domestically, Congressional Republicans are pushing for a system of government where the president has total control over the treasury...as long as he is Republican.

    Our system of government is hanging on the edge. Mitch McConnell might be the worst thing to happen to American democracy.
    In all these papers we see a love of honest work, an aversion to shams, a caution in the enunciation of conclusions, a distrust of rash generalizations and speculations based on uncertain premises. He was never anxious to add one more guess on doubtful matters in the hope of hitting the truth, or what might pass as such for a time, but was always ready to take infinite pains in the most careful testing of every theory. With these qualities was united a modesty which forbade the pushing of his own claims and desired no reputation except the unsought tribute of competent judges.

  26. #2366
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    10,801

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Meanwhile domestically, Congressional Republicans are pushing for a system of government where the president has total control over the treasury...as long as he is Republican.

    Our system of government is hanging on the edge. Mitch McConnell might be the worst thing to happen to American democracy.
    He has not covered the Majority Leader position in glory.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  27. #2367
    Apr 04-Nov 11 Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,306

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    You can oppose Maduro while also opposing US intervention.

    Cohens testimony is confirming a lot of what we thought we knew. Gruby hands on cruel, stupid people. I'm sure the administration will hand wave all of this but I can't imagine who would believe them at this point.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 02-27-2019 at 17:01.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

    My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

    I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

  28. #2368
    Member Member Tuuvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The wild west
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Life in “Mueller Time”: The Politics of Waiting and the Spectacle of Investigation

    For almost two years now, faithful Democrats have waited for special counsel Robert Mueller to file his report about collusion between Donald Trump’s presidential campaign and Russian attempts to interfere in the US election, not to mention Trump’s involvement in obstruction of justice. Whenever Trump’s activity provokes them or a subterranean rumbling within the Justice Department emboldens them, the faithful take to the streets and social media with hand-held cardboard signs and internet memes to proclaim that Mueller Time is close at hand. Yet even if the Mueller investigation concludes with Trump’s impeachment, the spectacle of the investigation has served to immobilize millions who have a stake in systemic social change, ensuring that what comes next in the United States will be politics as usual—not liberation.

  29. #2369

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    I pretty confident there will be no final report any time soon, considering the huge amount of legal activity emanating from the special counsel just recently. Similar pronouncements have suffused the media like 10 times over the past year - actually, as far back as September 2017 IIRC. And every time, the sourcing seems to have been either Trump admin officials or Trump's own legal counsels. It's bad enough for a professional organization to play along with the notion that a client's defense, legally obligated as they are to speak in their defense, counts as a valid source into the workings of the investigations into their client - but to make the same mistake over and over? Is our media learning? Unless a report claims that the Special Counsel office itself has offered a date, don't pay attention.

    As to the substance of the article, bureaucracy and direct action both have roles to play, functions that each cannot replicate from the other and therefore complementary.
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  30. #2370

    Default Re: Trump Thread

    Trump escalates his removal-worthy rhetoric again:

    1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    The Democrats in Congress yesterday were vicious and totally showed their cards for everyone to see. When the Republicans had the Majority they never acted with such hatred and scorn! The Dems are trying to win an election in 2020 that they know they cannot legitimately win!
    2.
    “You know, the left plays a tougher game, it’s very funny," Trump said in the interview with Breitbart published on Wednesday. "I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don’t play it tougher."

    "I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump – I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad," Trump said.
    'My opponents are illegitimate, and I am willing to leverage my influence over the police and armed forces to hinder them', said not-Maduro.


    Meanwhile in New Zealand, a team of Anglo Breivik wannabees slaughtered 50 Muslims, citing Trump as "a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose".
    Vitiate Man.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO