Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596
Results 2,851 to 2,854 of 2854

Thread: Trump Thread

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Default Re: Trump Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post

Racism is in evidence everywhere so there is no point in singling out some region of the world. But if we try to implicate personal experience, I can counterpose mine.

When I was in America as an exchange student and lived in the dorms, I met a local black student in the corridor every now and then. When he saw me he exclaimed "Hey, Russia!" every time, although I explained more than once that I was from Ukraine. What would he say if I exclaimed "Hey, Nigeria/Congo/Cameroon/Gabon?" But did I do it? No, I kept smiling and explaining. Was it racism/xenophobia/arrogance of that student?
    Wow. I didn't realise you'd been subjected to such devastating and systemic racism. And that this legitimately underpinned your prejudice and life experience... Honestly that example is pathetic. One idiot person trolling you (or maybe just being geographically clueless like 95% of Americans) is presented as countervailing material for 400 years of systemic abuse and marginalisation?
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Wow. I didn't realise you'd been subjected to such devastating and systemic racism. And that this legitimately underpinned your prejudice and life experience... Honestly that example is pathetic. One idiot person trolling you (or maybe just being geographically clueless like 95% of Americans) is presented as countervailing material for 400 years of systemic abuse and marginalisation?
    You missed the point. It was to show that personal experience may be misleading in trying to gauge the level of racism anywhere.

And my prejudice is against being biased in any direction: both against denying racist implications and against seeing them in every single case, both against ignoring racial issues and against swooping down on people who believe that all lives matter (like that NBA announcer).
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I don't know what are the MPD
    Minneapolis Police Department, who employed the four officers responsible for George Floyd's death. Uhmm...if you had read the article I provided in the link, what MPD meant would've become self-evident

the same logic can't be applied to numerous repeated felonies.
    You continually fixate on the fact that George Floyd wasn't a model citizen (far from it), and therefore doesn't deserve to be the 'poster child' of the BLM, nor deserved to buried in a manner chosen by his family. It could have just as easily been Breonna Taylor, or Ahmaud Arbery, or any of thousands of black individuals who have been killed by police brutality and white supremacists. To hide behind 'all lives matter' is simply a smokescreen to hide your lack of understanding of what BLM really means. Of course all lives matter, but seemingly some matter less to you. And of course it's impossible to truly understand what it's like to be a black person if your skin color is white.

it is not as though the current system and the current two parties have done them much of a favor after all
    And it's going to be a very long struggle to change that system, a struggle that will probably continue longer than my remaining time, unfortunately.....
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; Today at 12:37.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Minneapolis Police Department, who employed the four officers responsible for George Floyd's death.
    So now to say something that MPD said is like saying something that Hitler said? Why don't you then disband it and hire totally new people if all of them are so vile?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596