Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romanian Public Protests

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Romanian Public Protests

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.642eaed50ad6

http://www.euronews.com/2017/02/01/r...graft-offences

Tens of thousands of people have been marching lately in Romania to protests the decriminalization of offences such as graft and abuse of power in public conduct, not to mention corruption. This would literally bring out a considerable number of prisoners, and it would also close the current investigations on a considerable number of politicians within the country, hence the uproar.

The revolt brought out tens of thousands of people in bitter cold, which will soon make it even bigger as the law was adopted late last night (at midnight), in secrecy.

A little info from Romania, since you might have noticed a considerable number of news lately about it.

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Members thankful for this post (5):

Default Re: Romanian Public Protests

Anything to do with the reported success in recent years of anti-corruption prosecutor Laura Codruța Kövesi?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Eeeexactly.

In short, a lot of politicians have been convicted of corruption, and in some cases, huge amounts of money have been funneled from state contracts to party members. Some of them are in jail, a lot of them have cases brought upon them by the DNA (Directia Nationala Anticoruptie - National Anticorruption Directorate) which is led by Mrs. Kovesi.

The DNA has been a serious scare for many of them, and in many cases the DNA is regarded as one of the success stories of justice and anticorruption in Eastern Europe. The New York Times even featured an article about Mrs. Kovesi. - https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/w...ta-kovesi.html

The politicians are really desperate, and it shows. The way that the law was adopted last night (at midnight!) without any proper approval from the Superior Council of Magistrates (which is required by law) and then put into the official law monitor at 1:30 AM (!!!!!!) shows the magnitude of desperation.
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 02-01-2017 at 13:04.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

I wonder what flavour of lynching they will choose; will they drag a guillotine out of the closest napoleonic museum, find the country's largest tree and longest length of rope or will they simply raid a rather shady army surplus store and take the political class to the closest wall that needs a new coat of paint.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-01-2017 at 14:36.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I wonder what flavour of lynching they will choose; will they drag a guillotine out of the closest napoleonic museum, find the country's largest tree and longest length of rope or will they simply raid a rather shady army surplus store and take the political class to the closest wall that needs a new coat of paint.
    https://youtu.be/-IArFepCDF0?t=266

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    She said "assassinate", not "execute".
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    She said "assassinate", not "execute".
    He said (lynching), she said (assassinate)...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Romania includes Transylvania, does it not? So Hollywood tells us that it has to be a goodly sized mob with farm implements and torches -- I wonder if they will still require the mob to dress Bavarianesque and speak in a mix of lower class Brit and stereotypical German accented English?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Humor aside, I hope they can get the corruption dialed back hard. Endemic corruption is a plague upon the body politic.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Wait? What?

Who exactly has passed these "Emergency Decrees"? The Parliament, the office of the President?

Can they be impeached for flagrant abuse of power?

Edit:

Ah, I see - it's Parliament:

BBC has taken note, EU angry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38828711
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 02-01-2017 at 16:52.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

The Executive has this power of "Emergency Decree" which allows them to bypass the Parliament and take immediate action because they are given consent implicitly by the Parliament.

So technically, the executive can pass laws without explicit Parliamentary vote. The practice is widespread, causing considerable problems over time. As evidence today.

As for the protests... everyone has been peaceful so far, and I hope it stays that way. But I doubt it - the fury and outrage is huge.

Proud

Been to:

Blog Entries

There's a difference between a revolutionary lynching and a wingnut's assassination dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Romania includes Transylvania, does it not? So Hollywood tells us that it has to be a goodly sized mob with farm implements and torches -- I wonder if they will still require the mob to dress Bavarianesque and speak in a mix of lower class Brit and stereotypical German accented English?
    Ah of course, Transylvania, the sharpened spike business is bound to boom.

I can see the Turks flinching allready.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-01-2017 at 17:41.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

There seems to be this demographic of doughy dudes with patchy facial hair running their own "real and unbaised" news network on youtube, complete with a totally unnecessary ticker. Their reporting seems to include a breathless non-sequitur for each news report, devoid of any sort of deep analysis and focused on promoting outrage in their base. They seem to offer minimal knowledge on the subject, either because they mistrust experts, or the experts they contacted are unwilling to go down the path of career suicide. Now, I have them all in my feed because I forgot to open up a private window in firefox before viewing one of them. Thanks Husar. Thanks.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Husar 

There's a difference between a revolutionary lynching and a wingnut's assassination dream.
    Which is?

Which is?
    Executions and lynchings are team-building activities, while assassinations are unaccountable to the public.
    Vitiate Man.

Members thankful for this post (6):

Unfortunately, the law will become official in about 10 days - until then the Constitutional Court has to be notified with regards to the law officially, and it has to be done by the institution of the Ombudsman.

But the Ombudsman... well, let's just say he campaigned for this law indirectly.

Proud

Been to:

Is the protest movement strong enough? Bloomberg here claims around 100,000 protesters over the weekend before the legislative action. What are the numbers now?
    Vitiate Man.

Almost 300.000 in the whole country.

150.000 just in Bucharest.

Proud

Been to:

It is the biggest public demonstration in Romanian history after the Romanian Revolution of 1989.

Proud

Been to:

300.000 people protested last night in the streets against the government and the corruption.

The government said it won't back down.

So more protests and more pressure will follow.

Proud

Been to:

Members thankful for this post (2):

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Firstly - sorry, when I said "Parliament" I meant "Cabinet".

My understanding is your President is against this, can't he do anything to at least slow down the enacting od the law?

Also - keep at it - dig your heals in. Please don't burn too much of Bucharest though, I plan to visit one day.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I'll certainly be following this. Good luck to the Romanians on the street

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Also - keep at it - dig your heals in. Please don't burn too much of Bucharest though, I plan to visit one day.
    Precisely what I was gonna say. Don't let them get away with it.

Looks like the protests worked.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Dâriûsh View Post
    On one hand, it's hard to believe a prodigal government returning on the back of widespread popular support for a long tenure could misuse that capital so catastrophically, so fast.

is there anything (else) sub rosa going on in the legislature to take advantage of the commotion, perhaps?
    Last edited by Montmorency; 02-04-2017 at 19:58.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    On one hand, it's hard to believe a prodigal government returning on the back of widespread popular support for a long tenure could misuse that capital so catastrophically, so fast.

is there anything (else) sub rosa going on in the legislature to take advantage of the commotion, perhaps?
    Entrenched privilege is a strange thing.

They just got reelected - so clearly people want more graft in their government, given that the last lot were about less graft.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Entrenched privilege is a strange thing.

They just got reelected - so clearly people want more graft in their government, given that the last lot were about less graft.
    Well, it seems to be the same party (leading the government) that was forced out by 2015 protests. And though they won a good %, overall turnout wasn't as good.
    Vitiate Man.

In the end, the street prevailed. The decree was struck down.

BUT - it's not over yet. The problem is the following - the decree was taken back, but the law can easily pass through the Parliament and we're back to square one and with even more furious protests.

So it's the first battle only.

The protests however will continue - and tonight, the biggest one will follow.

Proud

Been to:

600.000 people protested last night, it was fantastic.

Despite the annulment of the problematic decree, the people still came out in HUGE numbers to protest the decree (why was it passed in the first place) and the decree (there's still a chance it will be passed into law!) and the government for not doing it's job.

Proud

Been to:

Good, don't let them forget they screwed up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast