Poll: Do you like Barbarians?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does everyone hates barbarian factions?

Default Re: Why does everyone hates barbarian factions?

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    The longer you leave Roman factions on the map, the worse it will get. Four to five stacks will become 6-8 or more. Deal with them now or they will become a huge problem.

I take it you are talking being Dacia here? If so, do you have Chosen Archers yet? If you don't, get them ASAP! Good tactic for whittling down Roman stacks is to have 6-8 Chosen Archers (they are excellent in melee so don't worry about having so many shooters), front them with infantry, move the line just far enough forward to bring Roman troops into range (but not close enough to precipitate a charge), and shoot them to pieces. Once the archers are out of arrows, rest them a bit (so they can participate in clean-up), and send in the infantry/cavalry to finish off what's left.

This tactic works for Germania, as well, though with Zerkers, Chosen Ax, and the best cavalry outside the Middle East, you can be more aggressive.
    Thanks for the tip - I'll experiment on the custom battle front to get an idea - looks like a good initial strategy will be to drop back in deployment. I am in the 190BC area so have everything.

I hope Rome does something about Egypt. Germania, or really any barbarian faction, is poorly equipped to deal with Egypt. Also, as many missile units as Egypt fields, and considering that outside of cav, my only armoured unit is Chosen Archers... I will have to have lots of them, but then I need something to deal with chariots.

Too bad Germania has nothing outside of phalanx that can deal with good units in a line, due to their lack of armour. Without the Spears, I would certainly use my cav for more than protecting my flanks, or hitting the enemy if that is taken care of. I rarely use Berserkers, though my army in Spain will probably have them.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 07-07-2017 at 22:51.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Watch out for Bull Warriors - horribly overpowered - they can walk through Barbarian infantry like a knife through butter. They are the ones you need take out with your archers. Anything else in Spain is pretty-much manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by weejonnie View Post
    Watch out for Bull Warriors - horribly overpowered - they can walk through Barbarian infantry like a knife through butter. They are the ones you need take out with your archers. Anything else in Spain is pretty-much manageable.
    Agreed about the Bull Warriors. And double hit points? Totally stupid. As far as the other Spanish units, just hire some Balearic Slingers to complement my Chosen Archers, and protect them from the enemy cav with some Spear Warband.

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Just an update on the Dacia campaign. Only play it occasionally.

Italy

It has been a hard struggle. Britannia broke the alliance and sent about 6 or 7 stacks into Northern Italy. I held Patavium (barely - it needed a heroic victory) but lost one town (population 450, no buildings as I razed it). I have captured the town at the entrance to the Alps though and if I can hold it, will give room for a breather. (One stack of opponents remains, just hope they don't try and recapture too soon. The Julii (with their last army) have besieged Patavium, but they are down to their two original cities (both blockaded). This turn is still in progress so am looking at my options

I have finally captured Rome - so now can pick off the 3 Roman cities left. I lost thousands of troops in Capua, although the gates were open. Next Time I'll try and enter through normal routes as I suspect I lost a lot due to oil.

Spain

have captured Carthago Nova from Britain - expeditionary force from Palma - this gives a toe-hold in the country and will force Britannia to split forces.

Africa

Still hold one town - South of Carthage - Egypt visited me and was pushed back. Am happy to just build up troops there.

Northern Europe.

Have taken out 3 German towns, giving me access to ship-building in the North Sea and have Just landed a substantial force in Britain. Next stop - the bright lights of London. I hope Britain is poorly defended so I can take out the three cities.

North-East Europe

I am deliberately NOT attacking Scythia, hoping that they can hold back Armenia from coming the long way round.

The Aegean.

Once Egypt captured the area they left - so have taken the city opposite Byzantium and aim to take the next two close to Greece (other than Helicarnassus - which has a lot of Egyptian troops in it as I think it needs a large garrison to maintain order. Three cities will give sufficient troop-building/ training facilities to hold back Egyptian Stacks.

The Sea

British navy ships are no better than Dacian ones (all ports are blockaded in the Med, so I get good warning if they try and do anything). The British have lots of ships off the coast of Britain so will take a while to whittle them down. The Julii have nothing but the Scipii send out occasionally a 'decere'? a massive boat which is a pain in the backside.

PS - how to handle British chariots. (Assuming you don't have spears)

Stop them!

Best way: set your troops 5 deep instead of 4, overlap reduced- size units. You can try archers if they are in range before the chariots start moving. Once chariots start moving then archers are best reserved for shooting at units from your left to your right.

Just an update on the Dacia campaign. Only play it occasionally.
    Glad I am not the only one who has slowed it down, I have gone back to Age of Empires Rise of Rome (yes, the original Age of Empires).

how to handle British chariots. (Assuming you don't have spears)
    Yes, chariots are overrated. Deeper ranks is a very good idea. I prefer to fight them in towns, where they can't really wheel around. Even Warband work for that. If you do see Druids in Briton armies take them out quickly, they will make your men rout faster. Barring Chariots, your units should make short work of British units. Oh, Head Hurlers can deal a pretty good hurting on your troops as well, though I rarely encounter them. The British towns are probably very primitive, though.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

the Scipii send out occasionally a 'decere'? a massive boat which is a pain in the backside
    Having access to Decere's is one of the few reasons I play the Scipii. Not historical in any way, shape, or form, but seeing as how I hate the pinball auto-resolve for naval battles, with several of these in every battle fleet, it's hard to lose
    High Plains Drifter

Did some fooling around with chariot-defeating ideas - came up with a /\ formation on the sides of the army - the chariots attack the outside and swing around to scythe your forces - and then run into a roadblock where the /\ meet. Seemed to work well. Also experimented with phalanx fighting - had some success in having my forces well spread out on the line - this forces the phalnxes to split to deal with each one and leaves them open in the flanks.

Dacia campaign is basically complete in that 50 territories held: Took out Britain as planned (no real forces to take) and crossed over the channel. Have taken Cordoba (there are two areas of Spain that are rebel-held. Suspect that is caused by Britannia pulling forces to try and replace the ones they lose.).

In Italy, the Julii were driven back - I then took both regions so they are no more. I starved out Capua and found when I took it that the Pantheon was giving +2 to all weapons/ armour - no wonder I had problems capturing it. With Italy secure I can go on the offensive against Brittania from the South. The Scipii are still presenting a few problems in Africa, but all their ports are blockaded and I'm going to hit them from Gibraltar Area as I suspect most troops are around Carthage.

Have taken the three towns in Asia Minor and have sufficient troops to defeat the Egyptian stacks. As the forces move up there, they will leave the Nile exposed (I hope) - basically all ports are blockaded as well. Germany is showing signs of activity - but they have no sea trade.

Quote Originally Posted by weejonnie View Post
    Did some fooling around with chariot-defeating ideas - came up with a /\ formation on the sides of the army - the chariots attack the outside and swing around to scythe your forces - and then run into a roadblock where the /\ meet. Seemed to work well.
    If fighting chariots, it is probably a good idea (just thought of it) to bring a couple of extra units to keep in reserve. I should probably do that anyway. But the enemy always attacks in a long battle line anyway, so on those occasions I have done it I always have to commit them to my flanks anyway. Same thing if they have a lot of cav. Note where the cav and infantry are, and if using a combination of spearmen and swordsmen send the spears to where the cav are going. You might not need to change your formation, but simply where everyone is.

When using phalanx, I use a formation (flip this upside down, I could not get it with standard characters \_____/, with support troops in the middle, and cav or mercenaries continuing the slashes from a little bit more in. If using swords as my main units, I use a checkerboard formation. When fighting phalanx with swordsmen, I simply take advantage of their non-flexibility and maneuver them around with one unit, then hit them from the flank or rear with another. If I can't do that, I at least do my best to hit them in the flanks as they approach.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 08-14-2017 at 19:33.

I like so much Barbarians from BI than RTW because has cool units

Quote Originally Posted by Arnulf Floyd View Post
    I like so much Barbarians from BI than RTW because has cool units
    And the BI barbarians are less barbaric, at least if the Saxons or Franks or such, not sure about Huns. And they can build stone walls, and their cities can get larger than just the city level. Personally, I think I like the Franks best in BI. Can get one of the best Cav units in the game (the Paladin, though they can only be trained in Christian cities), and their Heerbann will go toe-to-toe with anybody else's infantry. And, if all else fails and things go south, you can go horde.

The only campaign I have completed in BI is the Vandal campaign. And that campaign was going south, but I was able to achieve my victory conditions before it totally tanked.

My history is getting a bit blurred these days but, I believe before they were uprooted by the Huns, the Goths had stone walls, etc. Really don't know if any of the earlier and western groups did. I know the early West Saxon castles were wood. For the most part, I think the designers got that right. Roads are a different story, though, especially in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by LordK9 View Post
    My history is getting a bit blurred these days but, I believe before they were uprooted by the Huns, the Goths had stone walls, etc. Really don't know if any of the earlier and western groups did. I know the early West Saxon castles were wood. For the most part, I think the designers got that right. Roads are a different story, though, especially in the east.
    Julius Caesar writes of the Gauls having stone walls, or rather, a stone/timber combination, that was actually good because you had the strength of stone but the timber helped absorb the blows from rams. If you see the Gallic walls in the Europa Barbarorum mod those are probably a good rendition.

Really like barbarians, yet absolutely love the romans..

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

absolutely love the romans
    On occasion fun to play, but in general, too easy

Barbarians...much more difficult, from both the economic and battlefield sides. The specialty units like the various Axmen (love those Germanian Zerkers), Chosen Swords, the best archers in the game (Chosen Archers, Foresters), and kick-ass cavalry (Noble Cav, Gothic), make Barbarian cultures more fun for me to play.

And then there's the Horse Archer cultures....
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    On occasion fun to play, but in general, too easy
    True

i'm a sucker for Barbarian Invasion - there the romans are also powerful roster wise - yet not as much as in the actual game.. and with a few modifications in the starting positions you can actually have a pretty fun game - be it as the ere or the wre..

In BI however the barbarians are even better than the original.. really dig those saxon axe units..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12