Thread: Rome thread triggering threat alert

Default Rome thread triggering threat alert

It seems that when I enter the Rome Total War forum, something triggers my antivirus, and it says a threat was detected. I use the free version of Avast. It says

Object: https://clients1.google.com/tbproxy/af/query?client=%20Google|{gzip}

Infection: VBS:Malware-gen

Process: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

I run a SmartScan, and it doesn't turn up anything, and it just started today. It is probably just a false positive, but I figured the tech group might want to know, and was wondering if anybody else was having problems.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 02-22-2017 at 08:43.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Rome thread triggering threat alert

Does this happen every time you go to the forum? Is it a particular thread or the forum itself?

Searching Google doesn't lead to anything concrete, but I do see some suggestions that it's related to Chrome's auto-fill / password saving functionality. You could try disabling that to see if the alerts stop.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Not every time, but it seemed that it was the Rome Total War section. It did not do it this morning, and I finally received the same notification not associated with the Org, previously it was only when I was on the Org. Since my virus scan did not turn up anything, I was not all that concerned about it being a real threat, but I thought the tech guys would want to know. The problem seems to be gone now.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to ask, are you using a proxy to access the site? I am thinking it might be an extension on your browser. We haven't been able to replicate this on our end, and we have virus scanned the server side of things too.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Possibly could be my Ad-block extension. At any rate, it is no longer happening on my end, and my virus scan turns up nothing, so it was probably my browser itself. As Xiahou said, it was possibly a Google Chrome issue to begin with, and the main site I was visiting was the Org, so that looks like just probability, kicking in at the same time I was on the Org, but purely coincidental. It kicked in later while I was on a different website as well.