Thread: Waterloo Teeth

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Waterloo Teeth

I just read an article about "Waterloo teeth" (unfortunately in German). Did you know that the teeth of the fallen (and the wounded) were valuable objects of trade?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Waterloo Teeth

I did not.

On the other hand, I have seen the bone of Dan Sickle's leg, so the potential for such....memorabilia...is not too shocking to me.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Waterloo Teeth

The article says that in early 19th century human teeth were the most popular replacement for teeth, for rich men I guess. Those teeth came mainly from ghouls, which gathered them from the graveyards or battlefields. On the battlefields they took it from the dead soldiers, but also from the wounded. On row of teeth had a price of 20 to 30 guineas at England.

Another source of teeth was the American Civil War, and thousands of them were shipped to England.

Here's a picture:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterl...rmany_crop.jpg