Thread: Cavalry charge following the Napoleon Wars rules

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Default Cavalry charge following the Napoleon Wars rules

I found this. I remember watching the series when I was kid.

The Republican Guards showing how the Imperial cavalerie would have done it.

https://youtu.be/cOl4piWh2eA
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Members thankful for this post (2):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Cavalry charge following the Napoleon Wars rules

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    I found this. I remember watching the series when I was kid.

The Republican Guards showing how the Imperial cavalerie would have done it.

https://youtu.be/cOl4piWh2eA
    closed link on copyright issues.....sigh
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Try this one
    https://youtu.be/9VG4dTZfxVY

Unfortunately the guy who put it on line found useful to put a stupid music which covers the buggles for marche, trot then charge...
    Last edited by Brenus; 03-07-2017 at 20:08.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Members thankful for this post (3):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Viewed from the front would be bloody disquieting methinks....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Viewed from the front would be bloody disquieting methinks....
    Easy to see why it might be hard to convince ground pounders that holding in the face of it was their best bet.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Easy to see why it might be hard to convince ground pounders that holding in the face of it was their best bet.
    Keegan observed that this was one of the reasons the half-pike and the sword persisted as the battlefield weapons of sergeants and officers, respectively, for a century after musket/bayonet combo had become the dominant infantry weapon system employed.

They maintain usefulness as personal defense tools in a hand-to-hand encounter....and serve as great persuaders held sideways at the backs of your soldiers to stop those first few from edging out of line when the cavalry is coming at you (at least if the discipline is pretty solid to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    I saw a docu-tainment show once where they put a guy and a camera down the field from the Strathcona's mounted troop and had them charge at him. The thumping of a hundred horse at the gallop was quite loud.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Imagine at least seeing the charge of the Scots Greys, as portrayed by that famous painting. Must have been a sight to watch from the English side.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Imagine at least seeing the charge of the Scots Greys, as portrayed by that famous painting. Must have been a sight to watch from the English side.
    The painting is inaccurate as all get out. Were it real, their would have been a 20 horse and rider pile up within the next minute or so. She took a lot of artistic license.

Which painting?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Which painting?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scotsgreys_tall.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	19611

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    The painting is inaccurate as all get out. Were it real, their would have been a 20 horse and rider pile up within the next minute or so. She took a lot of artistic license.
    Fair enough, but the artistic license was enough to inspire to create a superb piece of artwork.

I actually read about the charge - the charge was not even a charge, because of the horrid terrain.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Fair enough, but the artistic license was enough to inspire to create a superb piece of artwork.

I actually read about the charge - the charge was not even a charge, because of the horrid terrain.
    What's the current general view on Victor Hugo's portrayal of the doomed charge of the French heavies? I read somewhere that it originated with a lowly lieutenant who gesticulated excitedly at some British movement, leading to nearby horseman moving to see what he was talking about, and a domino effect resulting in an assumed command to advance. If the Scots Greys couldn't really charge because of the terrain, would it have been any different for the French cuirassiers?