Thread: More Questions for target

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

Thank you for your earlier answers. I appreciate the honesty.

Here are some more questions:

1. New cav units.

The japanese nag cavs: Can you tell us how they are different than the japanese heavy cav? The heavy cav are strong defensively and it seems to me that nag cavs will have the same type of strength in defense.

The Mongol light cav : How are they compared to the japanese cav archers and the japanese yari cav ? Speed? Moral? Strenth in melee? etc...(general impressions)

The mongol heavy cav : How strong are they, let's say compared to the japanese counterpart? Speed? Moral? (general impressions)

2. Discipline as a factor and "Discipline" Dojo's Can you tell us what kind of impact has this new factor in battle? Does it have a relation with fatigue? Some Examples maybe.

3. Chistianity What changes did you see in the ex-pack compared to the original. Is it a better (more advantageous) option now? Or just an added game experience like in the original?

I warned you that if you answered the first ones, more would follow

------------------
    KumaRatta Yamamoto (Emissary of the ratta clan)Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

May I ask a quick question? I have been looking forward to playing the historical campaigns, especially the Kublai Khan campaign. I believe the last battle in that particular campaign is fought around Mount Fuji, it promises to be a great battle to fight. I was just wondering what is that particular battle like?

BUMP! (sorry, i want to keep this one near the top)
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

bumpy bumpy

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

...creepies and crawlies, and long-legged beasties and things that go BUMP in the night

------------------
    ]I)ongal
    ]I)ongal

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

Hey,

Welcome back Target.
    Hadn't noticed your posts.
    I guess they let you out of your cage every once in a while.
    : )

Target,

any thoughts on the improved diplomacy in the original single player (as it will be a while before we see the multiplayer)?
    Do alliances, bribing, etc... actual work well now.

thanks mate

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

This road is sure bumpy

------------------
    KumaRatta Yamamoto (Emissary of the ratta clan)Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Ouch! Another Bump

------------------

Heh! Loadsa questions. OK:

KumaRatta : The naginata cavalry are on par with the heavy cavalry as far as movement is concerned - maybe slightly slower in charges. Where HeavyCav are defensive - heavily armoured and good blocking, the NagCav are more offensive. They do have a better kill rate in melee combat than HeavyCav but they also get killed more easily. Difficult to pigeonhole them - they're OK skirmishers - they can't move as quickly as YariCav but they're less likely to get sliced up by footsoldiers. If you're looking to take soldiers out rather than just hold them up, I'd use NagCav over HeavyCav.

Most of the mongol units are a handful to deal with. The Mongol LightCav can move more quickly than the YariCav (previously the fastest unit on the field) and are better in melee and have better armour and defensive capabilities than the Japanese CavArchers. The Mongol HeavyCav are an utter nightmare. Better than the Japanese HeavyCav in almost every respect ( except in defence ), they can carve their way through most of the other units on the field like they're no there. If you see a unit bearing down on you, head for the trees or scrubland - it's the only way you'll take them down without losing a large number of men.

Discipline (gained by constructing Drill dojos ) helps maintain formations and stops the morale of men dropping so quickly. I'm pretty certain that units engaging in a charge won't break ranks as much when they charge in ( stopping the first few men who engage dying horribly cos they're mates weren't around to help ), but I couldn't say for definate. I haven't played it for so long...

Christianity was never really that much of a major contribution to the game and it hasn't really changed, I'm sorry to say. You're going to have to wait for the next game before religion plays a more significant role.

Jon : It's a bit tricky. The historical campaigns ( which are battles that are linked together to form a "story", in case someone didn't know ) have extra conditions that need to be met in order to achieve victory. In the Mongol one, Khan needs to be kept alive in order to win, and in the last battle, Hojo chucks everything at you.

You and your horde crest over a small hill to show a flat, open killing field at the base of Mount Fuji bordered with woodlands. Hojo is camped on the on the far side of the plain, inviting you to initiate a charge across the map to meet him. You have a large force at your disposal, but so has the enemy, together with the positional advantage.

I've never managed to beat the final battle, but then I freely admit I'm rubbish at playing Shogun.

Zen_Blade Were there bribes in the last patch? I can't remember if they went in the last release, or if they're next for the expansion. Anyway, the diplomacy thing is a little better thought out for "The Mongol Invasion" in that alliances actually affect how enemy daimyos view you now. If you declare war with a clan, but you both have a mutual ally, the ally must decide who he wants to side with. If you break an alliance by declaring war on an ally, the rest of the clans view you less favourably and it can also make the former ally more focussed on revenge. If you piss off a powerful clan, he may make it his number one priority to wipe you off the map.

In case the bribes didn't go into the last patch I'll explain briefly about these. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know. You can now bribe armies ( both rebel and rival clans ) to join your side by dropping an emissary on them. It normally costs far more to bribe them than the army is actually worth, but sometimes it's a better way to claim regions, especially if you don't have the manpower to take it by force. The main advantage of bribing an army is that if they're garrisoned and they're the only army in the region, you can take the region without destroying any buildings. It's a nice way to remove a clan's seat of power whilst retaining all it's benefits.

You can now use ninja to break sieges by dropping them on the besieged castle. They can open the castle gates and the sieging army can wipe out the garrison without suffering any casualties.

Edited to clear up my dodgy spelling and grammar

[This message has been edited by Target (edited 07-31-2001).]
    "i even suspect Target is coming here to hype things up."
    MagyarKhans Cham

Thanks Target, you're a real mine of information, however prepare yourself for the next wave in the inquisition!

I must extend my thanks as well: not only is all this information phenomenally interesting, but you're helping me immensely in the eternal struggle against those people who think the developers ignore the gaming community completely. No ivory towers here!
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Yep thanx alot for the info target :-)

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

In all seriousness, thanks Target, as Anssi says, it's good to see someone from the industry taking the time to talk to the people who buy the games.

BTW, thanx for the info on the cheeseplant, I guess I should change the soil ... I guess it'll be a bit of a mission though!

------------------
    Dr Dolittle- Say: bollocks.

I felt a cold shiver go down my spine when I read ‘The Mongol HeavyCav are an utter nightmare’ finally the cavalry unit that the game deserves…but I don’t feel happy any more, I don’t want to go to sleep – they’ll get me - the plains of Totomi will never seem gentle again
    Have you seen the fnords?

Quote Originally posted by Target:
    Heh! Loadsa questions. OK:
    You can now use ninja to break sieges by dropping them on the besieged castle. They can open the castle gates and the sieging army can wipe out the garrison without suffering any casualties.

Edited to clear up my dodgy spelling and grammar
    [This message has been edited by Target (edited 07-31-2001).]
    [/QUOTE]

Without casualties...hmmn.. I'm wondering about this one. Can't wait to try it though.
    --RADAN--
    (The SAMURAI HERO Ashigaru)
    A member of CLAN..what no CLAN??

Target says:

You're going to have to wait for the next game before religion plays a more significant role.

The differences between differents muslims and cristian sects (Catholic - Greek Orthodox, etc.) were VERY important to the succes or not of the Crusades.

cool stuff target!!!
    where u get this info??????

------------------
    Hato!!!
    genie of the lands!!!
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

California, Sacramento U.S. --*Originally from: South America Lima, Peru

WHAT the heck is wrong with you HATMOTOKILL?

Your just posting gibberish to rack up posts!

geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them.

Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.