Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970
Results 2,071 to 2,077 of 2077

Thread: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

The Red-titled Forum Administrator Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46586673

May says doing a final referendum on the choices before us would say to the people democracy doesn't work. I would argue that it shows it does work, by giving people the say on the matter instead of the failed politics which have been at play. Leave will face the scrutiny and accountability behind the agenda. All those people who voted for buses and 'soft brexit', Norway model, etc, will most likely go with the remain-within-EU camp given the other choice is the May Deal and Hard Brexit.

Also the responsibility of what happens is transferred to the people so something gets done, whatever the outcome, instead of the constant ankle biting.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

Members thankful for this post (2):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

May the force be with you. I admire her, she was never a supporter of a brexit herself, that is ok, never deny a mind.of your own people will always disagree. She is brave. At this point there should be a second chance though. Remainers do not understand that everything will be fine, and that is what worries eurocrats the most, doing Just fine. Do you want anders enhanced version of an Orwellian dystopia, vote for it but don't call me
    Last edited by Fragony; Yesterday at 08:10.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Member Furunculus's Avatar

i don't really care about a sec ref one way or another, as long as the question is usefully representative of the dilemma faced.

i do think it will reflect badly on parliament if they prove unable to deal with the policy around the decision that was given to them at their request in 2016.

fair warning: anyone who thinks public discourse has been ugly up until now will get a surprise if a sec ref narrowly overturns the first result.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i don't really care about a sec ref one way or another, as long as the question is usefully representative of the dilemma faced.

i do think it will reflect badly on parliament if they prove unable to deal with the policy around the decision that was given to them at their request in 2016.

fair warning: anyone who thinks public discourse has been ugly up until now will get a surprise if a sec ref narrowly overturns the first result.
    "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."

Nigel Farage, 17th May 2016

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

A second referendum would be a great expression of democratic orientation in decision making. It would also be a total cop-out by government, since the goal of government representatives is to balance the will of the people with the best interests of the people and pass laws and resolutions that embody that. Else, why have a legislature? Hold annual referenda covering questions of governance and let ministries manage it.

The Lords could continue as before, since signing in and then taking a bit of a kip doesn't get in the way overmuch.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    A second referendum would be a great expression of democratic orientation in decision making. It would also be a total cop-out by government, since the goal of government representatives is to balance the will of the people with the best interests of the people and pass laws and resolutions that embody that. Else, why have a legislature? Hold annual referenda covering questions of governance and let ministries manage it.

The Lords could continue as before, since signing in and then taking a bit of a kip doesn't get in the way overmuch.
    "Will of the people" - Jeremy Corbyn.
    "I think we've had enough of experts" - Michael Gove.
    "Enemies of the people" - Daily Mail.

Three indicators and drivers of said cop out. All arguments for good government founder when matched against the above. The "will of the people" of the people must be carried out, and anyone standing in the way are "enemies of the people". And all reasoned arguments are dismissed because "I think we've had enough of experts". Such is Brexit. And as Furunculus threatens, if Brexit doesn't happen, things will turn ugly, presumably due to Leavers.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

Agreed, brexiteers should get a second chance, nobody should deny them that. Just fair play as things have gotten more complicated. I hope the answer will be the same, but if it isn't I really should stfu and watch things roll out. Your choice I will just have respect it. But do remainers have everything succombing

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970