Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374
Results 2,191 to 2,203 of 2203

Thread: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Not signalling from the UK, it is not in our gift to provide. No, by the EU.

Too much drama about no deal, let's face it the Eurozone lives with 10%unemployment and verges on a technical recession. Oh what a model to worship.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Davis
    Analysts predict that in the event of no deal, sterling could fall by over 20%. Is this such a bad thing?
    In other news, representatives of the food industry have urged cessation of discussions with the government on matters not related to Brexit, as their resources are already stretched dealing with the latter. "Businesses throughout the UK food chain - and their trade associations - are now totally focused on working to mitigate the catastrophic impact of a no-deal Brexit".

Quote Originally Posted by article
    The letter comes just two weeks after major retailers warned MPs that a no-deal Brexit would cause huge disruption to the industry, leading to higher prices and empty shelves in the short-term.

Sainsbury's, Asda and McDonald's were among those who warned stockpiling fresh food was impossible, and that the UK was very reliant on the EU for produce.

Remember I talked about truck drivers and permits? Over 11k permits have been applied for, but fewer than 1k have been issued so far. Another 2.5k have been promised in time for Brexit, but the Haulliers Association say that's still 10% of what's needed. The food retailers probably had this in mind when they warned of higher prices and empty shelves. Still, food shortages are worth it in order not to be subject to the nefarious ECJ, which has ruled in favour of the UK in 95% of claims.

trucks and planes will still move:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit...ort-agreement/
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    Lucky you didn't post that in the reddit football forums. They've banned the Sun as a source there.

Wow, secret deals and reports, I've got some more:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rse-EU-UK.html
    No deal Brexit 'would be worse for the EU than Britain because red tape would slow down efforts to respond quickly, Brussels believes'
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...order-backstop
    EU PLOT: Secret Brussels plan to 'CONTROL' Britain after Brexit REVEALED
    That secret deal of the Sun seems really new: https://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shak...t-brexit-deal/
    5 NOVEMBER 2018
    UK and EU deny reaching a “secret Brexit deal”
    The conspiracy is even worse though:

No, seriously, I'll believe it when it comes from something other than a neoliberal propaganda rag.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Wow, secret deals and reports, I've got some more:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rse-EU-UK.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...order-backstop

That secret deal of the Sun seems really new: https://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shak...t-brexit-deal/

The conspiracy is even worse though:

No, seriously, I'll believe it when it comes from something other than a neoliberal propaganda rag.
    The Sun isn't banned on football forums because it's neoliberal. It's banned because it lies as a matter of course. The Mail doesn't have a good reputation either. The Express is notorious for its Diana-fixation and lack of trustworthiness on everything else that might be termed news. I'd be looking at the broadsheets for a good source. Preferably Financial Times, although the Times or Guardian will do.

Husar, I'm not going to check out the Sun story, so if you've read it, perhaps you can summarise it. However, from the headline, the closest I can find from reputable sources is the plan to waive checks on goods coming from the EU, which has been reported on numerous media including all the broadsheets, and one of the heads of the Haulliers Association, who handle the logistics taking goods into and from Britain, saying that the suggested 3.5k permits is only 10% of what is needed. If Furunculus's story from the Sun supersedes this, I'd like to know what their source is. The plan I cited above isn't secret and can be enacted unilaterally, although it isn't practical and is blatantly open to abuse, while the second is traceable to a named source who is an expert on the subject in practice. Furunculus's stories tend to come from theorists with little understanding of how things work. The better stories of his anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Whence "neoliberal"? I could at least see where you're coming from if it were the Economist, but the Sun is but a standard tabloid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Husar, I'm not going to check out the Sun story, so if you've read it, perhaps you can summarise it. However, from the headline, the closest I can find from reputable sources is the plan to waive checks on goods coming from the EU, which has been reported on numerous media including all the broadsheets, and one of the heads of the Haulliers Association, who handle the logistics taking goods into and from Britain, saying that the suggested 3.5k permits is only 10% of what is needed. If Furunculus's story from the Sun supersedes this, I'd like to know what their source is. The plan I cited above isn't secret and can be enacted unilaterally, although it isn't practical and is blatantly open to abuse, while the second is traceable to a named source who is an expert on the subject in practice. Furunculus's stories tend to come from theorists with little understanding of how things work. The better stories of his anyway.
    It's vituperation (a notch harsher than Pann-tone) against "Project Fear" but no sources, only links to older Sun articles. With a Google search I guess it must be prompted by something related to this EU press release dated Feb. 15:

Basic road connectivity in the event of no-deal Brexit – Council agrees its position

The EU is introducing a set of temporary and limited measures to ensure basic road freight and road passenger connectivity in order to mitigate the most severe disruption in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a negotiated agreement. Today, member states' ambassadors in the Council's Permanent Representatives Committee approved a mandate for the Romanian presidency to negotiate with the European Parliament on enabling UK-licenced road hauliers and coach and bus operators to carry goods and passengers between the UK and the remaining 27 member states. The rights granted by these measures will be conditional on equivalent rights being conferred by the UK to operators from the 27 member states and subject to conditions ensuring fair competition.

The temporary measures are without prejudice to any future negotiations with the UK.

The regulation will cease to apply on 31 December 2019.

A meeting with the Parliament to agree on the final text will take place on 18 February.

Background
    According to the overall principles for non-deal Brexit contingency measures, all such measures consist of unilateral EU-level action, on the assumption that the UK will reciprocate. The measures are exceptional in nature and strictly time-limited. The transport connectivity measures are not intended to replicate the status quo under EU law, but rather to preserve basic connectivity between the EU and the UK.
    Vitiate Man.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

See what can be achieved when you remove the blinkers and cease trying to play the man.

See what can be achieved when you remove the blinkers and cease trying to play the man.
    Blinkers? I, like many English football fans, absolutely refuse to click on any Sun link, assuming as a matter of course that said rag will be lying. If you have a story to push, use another source.

I think it is a junk rag to, but what twitter turned up was:
    Interesting, &
    informative, &
    accurate

Quite frankly nothing else matters.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I think it is a junk rag to, but what twitter turned up was:
    Interesting, &
    informative, &
    accurate

Quite frankly nothing else matters.
    So, you're suggesting that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374