Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475
Results 2,221 to 2,229 of 2229

Thread: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Default Re: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Dang. I missed the truth again. Some days I wonder how I manage to get from A to B.
    Bro Mr. Fermanagh, we offer one another disagreement often enough without apparent friction. What blooms dolorous in those few instances you snap so bitterly?
    Vitiate Man.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Our cable news and broadcasters do the same (without even touching on print media). This is because they have the mission of reaching a broad audience, making entertainment and profitability the priorities - even in the case of the technically non-commercial NPR. Contra Seamus, this contributes to a pervasive conservative slant by default. FOX is sui generis because it was designed from the outset with an ideological agenda rather than a strictly commercial one (which is just the 'submerged' ideology of capitalism).

Returning to Brexit, the EU has released a couple of statements regarding temporary arrangements for road and air traffic in the case of No Deal. How do these affect the outlook?

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...-its-position/
    https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...he-parliament/
    I think this covers the permits problem, raised by the Haulliers Association. Which allows us to look at the customs problem. We don't have the infrastructure or personnel to enforce a customs regime. The trade minister says we will effectively throw open the borders (not enforce the regime at the border). Our agriculture minister says we will enforce the regime. As you can see, that's two ministers saying contradictory things. And in case you want to dismiss the agriculture minister as holding a lesser office, he's the bookmaker's favourite to be the next PM when the Tories stab May in the back. And the trade minister was the one who welcomed the EU-Japan trade deal in January, proclaiming that it will bring greater prosperity to the UK in years to come, forgetting we're leaving the EU in March (and thus being flamed by readers for being an effing idiot).

NB. throwing open the border kills our agriculture and manufacturing industry. The latter looks to be a lesser problem now, as it's leaving anyway due to the loss of JIT. The former is why the agriculture minister assured panicked farmers that we will be enforcing a customs regime. Which we don't have the infrastructure or manpower for. However, enforcing a customs regime results in delays. Which is problematic for produce that can spoil. Hence the food industry is warning against Brexit.

Member thankful for this post:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Bro Mr. Fermanagh, we offer one another disagreement often enough without apparent friction. What blooms dolorous in those few instances you snap so bitterly?
    You have a tendency to respond to those points with which you disagree without acknowledging those areas of commonality that do exist; coupled with your propensity to post both voluminously and with a somewhat 'black and white' evaluative tone, you come over somewhat dismissive to me.

As a communication scholar, I am well aware that such may not be your intent (and I presume very probably is not), and I am virtually certain that you bear me no personal animus, but at 55 with 45 years as a political observer -- and NOT one of the self-chosen ignorati endlessly numbed with the latest talent discovery or reality show soap opera -- it does sometimes rub me the wrong way.

If often find myself taking week-long breaks from the backroom to adjust my own attitude. As an academic, the line between the personal and the intellectual is not as sharply drawn as it probably should be in this age of websites, posts, and tweets.

And please call me Seamus. If we are going to go for titles and the like it gets too stuffy, and mister's not the correct formal title anyway.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

And please call me Seamus. If we are going to go for titles and the like it gets too stuffy, and mister's not the correct formal title anyway.
    "Master" will be closer to the mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

You have a tendency to respond to those points with which you disagree without acknowledging those areas of commonality that do exist; coupled with your propensity to post both voluminously and with a somewhat 'black and white' evaluative tone, you come over somewhat dismissive to me.
    This is a well-established personality trait of mine, but at least it isn't personal - if you read my posts it's clear I interact with everyone that way eventually. It's more readily available for me to address disagreement than agreement, and indeed it is to the disagreement I seek to elicit a treatment from the readers; I hope that my silence gets interpreted as agreement or a lack of comment. I might also be less intense here than if the Backroom existed offline, since textual interaction affords more time to think. I tend to elide smoothing niceties of the general sort offline, making my default posture by turns a markedly reserved or abrasive one. Since in my mind the Backroom is the place for 'unrestricted political conversations', that's what I conform my presentation toward.

Usually if I feel I'm drafting a gratuitous post it's easier for me to refrain from posting at all than to modify my approach. I do at times try to post more graciously, but without feedback on that score I don't know how well I'm doing.

I will make an effort to accommodate your feelings, but barring a concussive blow to the head or other epiphany my personality won't change. The way I see it there are two ways to orient my reception: take my tone in stride if it's my standard, or call me out when I'm being more of a bitch than you are willing to tolerate.

If often find myself taking week-long breaks from the backroom to adjust my own attitude. As an academic, the line between the personal and the intellectual is not as sharply drawn as it probably should be in this age of websites, posts, and tweets.
    I'm sorry.

your propensity to post both voluminously
    Ironically, the less activity in a space there is the more active I become. This too manifests offline.

and with a somewhat 'black and white' evaluative tone
    I hedge my evaluations much of the time though.
    Vitiate Man.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

Mr Self Important Forum Administrator Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pannonian, do you support the agenda of the www.theindependent.group ? It seems that it might be up your street, at a glance.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    "Master" will be closer to the mark.
    Kind of you, Gil', though it would be "doctor" in fact. UT - Austin Summer 1997. Hook 'em Horns!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Pannonian, do you support the agenda of the www.theindependent.group ? It seems that it might be up your street, at a glance.
    Without a new centrist party, I would have voted Lib Dem. If TIG turns into a party fielding a candidate in my constituency, I'll vote for them in the next election, and possibly the one after that, to give the new party a chance to strike roots. TIG has the advantage over both the Tories and Labour in that the front bench would not be batshit insane, and I, an ordinary joe off the street, do not feel superior to them in intellect, as I do the Tory and Labour front benches. It's remarkable that the extremely low bar, do not be an idiot, already produces better talent than the cabinet and shadow cabinet. And do not be a produces better policy than both.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Kind of you, Gil', though it would be "doctor" in fact. UT - Austin Summer 1997. Hook 'em Horns!
    I meant like Master Kenobi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475