Page 80 of 121 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 3622

Thread: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Re: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Well, according to Erskine May he didn't really have much choice. It would have been partial of him not to.

So, either the deal gets dropped or a rider on a Referendum gets added.

Another "enemy of the people"?

Just want to put this out here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...exchange_vuln/

Lead maintainer and "benevolent dictator" of all things PuTTY Simon Tatham told El Reg that "of all the things found by the EU bug bounty programme, the most serious was vuln-dss-verify. That really is a 'game over' level vulnerability for a secure network protocol: a MITM attacker could bypass the SSH host key system completely."

"Luckily," he continued, "it never appeared in a released version of PuTTY: it was introduced during work to rewrite the crypto for side-channel safety, and spotted only a few weeks later by a bug-bounty participant, well before the release came out. So the EU protected almost everybody from that one."
    He sounds like a remainer.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post

Another "enemy of the people"?

Ja, och?

Seriously though, the Speaker is supposed to be impartial and above reproach - Bercow has been neither. The reaction to his justified intervention at this point shows why he is, in general, not the right man for the job.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

We haven't had a decent Speaker since Betty.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Member thankful for this post:

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    We haven't had a decent Speaker since Betty.
    Quite true, but Bercow is right in this case. Theresa May is the one trying to trample Parliament, bad enough she tried to ram her deal through a second time with only minor changes, to then engage in what amounts to threats and bribery and attempt a third vote on the same issue?

Disgraceful.

Had she attempted it I'm sure Labour would have tabled a vote of no confidence.

I can't wait until the EU elections this May. The bunch of traitors in Parliament are in for a shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN7r0Rr1Qyc
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 03-19-2019 at 18:54.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Ja, och?

Seriously though, the Speaker is supposed to be impartial and above reproach - Bercow has been neither. The reaction to his justified intervention at this point shows why he is, in general, not the right man for the job.
    And the judges? The original headline was in response to the court decision that Parliament has deciding power. They were called "Enemies of the people". Do you not think that the right wing press may just be a tad irresponsible? Especially as one MP has already been killed for opposing Brexit.

Quite true, but Bercow is right in this case. Theresa May is the one trying to trample Parliament, bad enough she tried to ram her deal through a second time with only minor changes, to then engage in what amounts to threats and bribery and attempt a third vote on the same issue?

Disgraceful.

Had she attempted it I'm sure Labour would have tabled a vote of no confidence.
    Don't forget that the original MV was supposed to have been before Christmas. Except that May called it off at the last moment and postponed it for after the recess.

And the judges? The original headline was in response to the court decision that Parliament has deciding power. They were called "Enemies of the people". Do you not think that the right wing press may just be a tad irresponsible? Especially as one MP has already been killed for opposing Brexit.
    Pan, nobody on this site who supports Brexit supports or reads the Daily Mail.

You're constructing a Strawman out of your own outrage.

I love the right wing press trope, when to a man, the press are remainers.

I can't wait until the EU elections this May. The bunch of traitors in Parliament are in for a shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN7r0Rr1Qyc
    Are you posting a tragic depiction of fascist delusion, in reference to the upcoming EU elections, ironically or un-ironically?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Are you posting a tragic depiction of fascist delusion, in reference to the upcoming EU elections, ironically or un-ironically?
    It's hard to tell at this point. If Brexit drags on we me end up with a Eurosceptic EU Parliament.

It's hard to tell at this point. If Brexit drags on we me end up with a Eurosceptic EU Parliament.
    I know you're, like, a Chestertonian, but what do you think of Varoufakis et al.?

btw i less worried about IA's post now, turns out this song is more of a meme in the UK.

Last edited by Montmorency; 03-20-2019 at 00:18.
    Vitiate Man.

I know you're, like, a Chestertonian, but what do you think of Varoufakis et al.?

btw i less worried about IA's post now, turns out this song is more of a meme in the UK.

A what?

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

I have a lot of time for Varoufakis: he is honest, committed, and capable.

He just arrives at his politics from a moral matrix entirely different to mine, so as much as I find him insightful and interesting he would never get my vote.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

So A50 is extended to 30th June. The EU elections are on 30th May. If we are not to participate in said elections then by the treaties governing the EU we will be thrown out by the EU.

It's like Alice in Wonderland stuff.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So on a very technical point we might have to unilaterally withdrawal the Article 50. Of course to redo it again once all our ducks are in a line.

And oh so quietly it dies a death. And Democracies all over the world learn an important lesson in never asking the populace what they want.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Brexiteers should be happy. Yellowhammer kicks in next week.

Brexiteers should be happy. Yellowhammer kicks in next week.
    It's possible Macron will veto May's request for an extension (because it's pointless) leading to a vote in the House to the effect that we should ask for a long extension to hold a referendum/public consultation, leading to her resigning and being replaced ad hoc with another Tory who can deliver said request, after which there will be an election.

It's worth reflecting that if anyone other than Corbyn was Leader of the Opposition right now that the Opposition would already have been asked to form a government.

It's possible Macron will veto May's request for an extension (because it's pointless) leading to a vote in the House to the effect that we should ask for a long extension to hold a referendum/public consultation, leading to her resigning and being replaced ad hoc with another Tory who can deliver said request, after which there will be an election.

It's worth reflecting that if anyone other than Corbyn was Leader of the Opposition right now that the Opposition would already have been asked to form a government.
    Don't blame me for that. I voted not for Brexit, nor Corbyn, nor May. By far the crappest decision in my lifetime, headed by by far the crappest PM in my lifetime, opposed by by far the crappest leader of the opposition in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    So on a very technical point we might have to unilaterally withdrawal the Article 50. Of course to redo it again once all our ducks are in a line.

And oh so quietly it dies a death. And Democracies all over the world learn an important lesson in never asking the populace what they want.

British should have realized the error in trying out direct democracy when it put you in the same category with US states such as Florida and California. Failed states all of them.

Husar 

Blog Entries

Don't blame me for that. I voted not for Brexit, nor Corbyn, nor May. By far the crappest decision in my lifetime, headed by by far the crappest PM in my lifetime, opposed by by far the crappest leader of the opposition in my lifetime.
    So you cheerfully state nothing is your fault whilst declaiming anyone that voted leave responsible for the current situation.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

So you cheerfully state nothing is your fault whilst declaiming anyone that voted leave responsible for the current situation.

How is it my fault when I said the stuff that's happening now would happen, and voted against it happening? If I tell you that sticking your hand in a fire is a bad idea because it'll burn you, and you decide to stick your hand in a fire and it burns you, how is it my fault for warning you against it? Meanwhile, Brexiteers complain that it's burned their hand, and say it's not their fault because they didn't expect it to burn like that.

Blog Entries

How is it my fault when I said the stuff that's happening now would happen, and voted against it happening? If I tell you that sticking your hand in a fire is a bad idea because it'll burn you, and you decide to stick your hand in a fire and it burns you, how is it my fault for warning you against it? Meanwhile, Brexiteers complain that it's burned their hand, and say it's not their fault because they didn't expect it to burn like that.
    A better analogy is one side decides to cross a road when those in charge of the activity wait until it is rush hour. Leaving aside the issue that the government never raised these issues when deeper integration was being undertaken without a vote.

He really means freedom is slavery.

A better analogy is one side decides to cross a road when those in charge of the activity wait until it is rush hour. Leaving aside the issue that the government never raised these issues when deeper integration was being undertaken without a vote.

It's just over a week until Brexit, and as things go, we will leave without a deal. Are you still in favour of Leaving, as things are now?

It's just over a week until Brexit, and as things go, we will leave without a deal. Are you still in favour of Leaving, as things are now?
    It is possible to be in favour pf Leaving without being in favour of Leaving now.

I presume you still voted Labour at the last election? Labour ran on a Brexit ticket and got the biggest vote since Tony Blair (May got the biggest vote since Thatcher, 1982).

Unless you voted Lib Dem or Green at the last election you voted for Brexit, or at least didn't vote against it.

Similarly, bearing in mind I voted Lib Dem I can't complain if we don't leave.

It is possible to be in favour pf Leaving without being in favour of Leaving now.

I presume you still voted Labour at the last election? Labour ran on a Brexit ticket and got the biggest vote since Tony Blair (May got the biggest vote since Thatcher, 1982).

Unless you voted Lib Dem or Green at the last election you voted for Brexit, or at least didn't vote against it.

Similarly, bearing in mind I voted Lib Dem I can't complain if we don't leave.
    I voted Labour for most of my life. Because of Brexit and Corbyn's position on it I voted Lib Dem in the last election. And saying that May or Corbyn got the biggest vote since whenever convinces me not a jot. Do you know which party leader got the most votes ever in any UK general election?

I voted Labour for most of my life. Because of Brexit and Corbyn's position on it I voted Lib Dem in the last election. And saying that May or Corbyn got the biggest vote since whenever convinces me not a jot. Do you know which party leader got the most votes ever in any UK general election?
    Carry on, then.

Here's that petition - currently going up by a few hundred every few seconds.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Referendums are most useful when they are judged or expected beforehand to produce a decisive result.

He really means freedom is slavery.
    This cartoon carries over with shocking aptness (I especially like "repudiates her bonds" and "secession humbug"). Pann, feel free to adjust the characters to modern context.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09_secessionmovement_nationwithout.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	22344

Ah, freedom, that old shibboleth. The World Happiness Survey just released its 2019 edition. There is an item asking about the "freedom to make life choices":

Freedom to make life choices is the
    national average of binary responses to
    the GWP question “Are you satisfied or
    dissatisfied with your freedom to choose
    what you do with your life?”
    Uzbekistan respondents appear to have a high enough self-perception of "freedom" to earn them the #1 spot on this measure among all countries.

I do declare, Brexit brings "freedom" to the UK in the same way that Uzbekistan is the freest country on Earth.
    Vitiate Man.

Husar 

Page 80 of 121 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast