Page 103 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3622

Thread: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: EXIT NEGOTIATIONS

Keeps us in the single market for goods.
    Protects integrated supply chains like cars and chemicals.
    Minimises disription to all trade generally.

Allows services freedom from eu regulation.

Consider it my it my olive branch, as i reach across the divide majestically... :D
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    So long as Corbyn holds Labour in his grip there will be no new referendum from them. Whether he gets ousted or not depends entirely on whether enough of the Labour Party are willing to accept he's Antisemitic or not.
    He is an anti-zionist rather than an antisemitic. There is a lot of support for Palestine on the left (Corbyn is prime example of this), so Israel gets tarred a lot for its actions in relation to that. There is a difference between the two, even if the terms do get conflated a lot by people with an agenda (pro-zionists and genuine antisemitics).
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    He is an anti-zionist rather than an antisemitic. There is a lot of support for Palestine on the left (Corbyn is prime example of this), so Israel gets tarred a lot for its actions in relation to that. There is a difference between the two, even if the terms do get conflated a lot by people with an agenda (pro-zionists and genuine antisemitics).
    He accepts anti-semitic tropes as well. There's a tweet somewhere where he likes a mural of big nosed bankers secretly controlling the world. An awful lot of his friends are even more overt anti-semites, and the number of anti-semitic incidents in the Labour party has risen drastically since he's become leader. Just as the rhetoric and direction of Brexit's leaders has encouraged the rise of the far right, so the rhetoric and direction of Labour's leaders has encouraged the rise of the anti-semitic left.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Corbyn claims to be an anti-Zionist but his anti-Zionism has seen him openly embrace antisemitic figures and tropes, such as Ken Livingstone and that mural. It's also really debatable to what extent the term "Zionist" is actually useful today - Israel exists and the majority of its citizens were born there, in Israel today there are "Zionists" who simply want this state of affairs to continue, and also those who want to expand Israel.

I am not convinced Corbyn cares to distinguish - at which point "Zionist" is just a cover.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Corbyn claims to be an anti-Zionist but his anti-Zionism has seen him openly embrace antisemitic figures and tropes, such as Ken Livingstone and that mural. It's also really debatable to what extent the term "Zionist" is actually useful today - Israel exists and the majority of its citizens were born there, in Israel today there are "Zionists" who simply want this state of affairs to continue, and also those who want to expand Israel.

I am not convinced Corbyn cares to distinguish - at which point "Zionist" is just a cover.
    I'm not sure Corbyn can distinguish. All the evidence suggests he is a dimwit with deep belief in certain dogma. Your medieval equivalent would be a church figure who can recite certain bits of scripture but without an independent thought of his own.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I'm not sure Corbyn can distinguish. All the evidence suggests he is a dimwit with deep belief in certain dogma. Your medieval equivalent would be a church figure who can recite certain bits of scripture but without an independent thought of his own.
    As an historian of the medieval Church I must say, I find the comparison genuinely offensive.

Essentially, Brexit could be nothing much, it could destroy the UK, or the EU, or both.
    Precision like that deserves the remuneration of a pundit. Give it a shot, Phil.

In other UK news I've been vaguely following, Corbyn apparently has some sort of convoluted strategy to, if I have the basics right, trigger a caretaker/unity government, take over as PM, trigger a snap election, use the resources of PM to campaign against Johnson's/Tories' Brexit, try to win the election outright on the basis of maybe a second referendum (that he could presumably have without snap elections in the first place) or, more likely, a superior "Labour Brexit."

At least two problems I see with that would be:

1. Brexit Party exists behind the Conservatives, but then so do the Liberal Democrats behind Labour.
    2. Disregarding the above, who the heck forms the caretaker government??? Conservative defectors? Sinn Fein? (see figures below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Electoral Map.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	22828

Name:	Electoral Prediction.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	22829

From my low-information perspective this seems rather dumber than May's failed 2017 electoral strategy.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Precision like that deserves the remuneration of a pundit. Give it a shot, Phil.

In other UK news I've been vaguely following, Corbyn apparently has some sort of convoluted strategy to, if I have the basics right, trigger a caretaker/unity government, take over as PM, trigger a snap election, use the resources of PM to campaign against Johnson's/Tories' Brexit, try to win the election outright on the basis of maybe a second referendum (that he could presumably have without snap elections in the first place) or, more likely, a superior "Labour Brexit."

At least two problems I see with that would be:

1. Brexit Party exists behind the Conservatives, but then so do the Liberal Democrats behind Labour.
    2. Disregarding the above, who the heck forms the caretaker government??? Conservative defectors? Sinn Fein? (see figures below)

Name:	Electoral Map.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	22828

Name:	Electoral Prediction.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	22829

From my low-information perspective this seems rather dumber than May's failed 2017 electoral strategy.
    I would say it is, he's also left himself enough room that "Remain" might not be on his Referendum Question, or there might not even be a Referendum - but pulling that would require he get a big swing and large majority.

Corbyn is the real No-Deal Brexiteer - he just has to lie about it, like he lies about his other political positions.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If Corbyn gets to be PM - even just for a day - he can then claim £144k for life when undertaking activities related to the State. But I'm sure such a blatant grab for money never crossed his mind...

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Sinn Fein running the show would be an interesting turn.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    If Corbyn gets to be PM - even just for a day - he can then claim £144k for life when undertaking activities related to the State. But I'm sure such a blatant grab for money never crossed his mind...

You mean the equivalent of £144k per annum, pro rata?

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Sinn Fein running the show would be an interesting turn.
    They're as absurd as the DUP - no, slightly more absurd.

Blog Entries

You mean the equivalent of £144k per annum, pro rata?

They're as absurd as the DUP - no, slightly more absurd.
    Apologies - I got the number wrong. It is only £115k per year. No, not pro rata... It is the The Public Duty Cost Allowance (PDCA) provides an annual entitlement that these august individuals can spend on office and secretarial costs “to meet the continuing additional office costs which they are liable to incur because of their special position in public life”.

So... as long as they put the family on the payroll the money is for life, and provided annually. The wording seems so vague it'd be easy to use it to subsidise any facet of your life.

So Boris has joined the Club whatever happens.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

The problem behind Corbyn leading a unity government is Corbyn himself. There would be a majority Labour government as to be expected but Lib Dems and Rebel Conservatives certainly do not want Corbyn.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

So the Government is going to ask the Queen to suspend Parliament.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

Blog Entries

It is becoming something of a (bigger) mess. Personally I think that this demonstrates the problems with First Past the Post which has been ignored for the last few decades - now the fact those in Parliament don't really represent anyone in any meaningful sense is painfully obvious with politicians contorting to both what their constituents want and what their party apparently stand for.

It has been an extremely long parliament already but to close shop now does appear to be a cynical move - and IMO publicly humiliates the Queen to boot who is dragged out to do something that she has no power over like an aged puppet rather than a head of state.

Over two years preparation has been squandered and we remain in a mess this close to the deadline with so many relying on the EU doing something that was utterly against their best interests - like expecting the Catholic Church to distribute its money to the poor.

As I so often think - why can't the UK be more like Germany?

Lol, looking forward to 45m of wailing and gnashing on the world at one in a few moments time.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blimey....

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/s...31368140500992

I liked the quote right underneath.

See all those guys with guns in army uniforms, they all see the Queen as the BOSS.
    So best not threaten the head of state, cos that really will not end well.
    Smart move guys threatening Brenda.

Last edited by InsaneApache; 08-28-2019 at 16:38.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

My hero.

Would be very hard for Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain’s Labour Party, to seek a no-confidence vote against New Prime Minister Boris Johnson, especially in light of the fact that Boris is exactly what the U.K. has been looking for, & will prove to be “a great one!” Love U.K.
    The God Emperor strikes again.

Last edited by InsaneApache; 08-28-2019 at 16:22.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Blog Entries

It has been approved.

Parliament to be suspended in September.

It has been approved.

Parliament to be suspended in September.
    Just think, if the Opposition had their arses in gear it wouldn't have mattered.

As I posted on facebook a few days ago, "They agreed to agree to do something."

It's also worth pointing out that this option was mooted by some Remainers/Soft Brexit Supporters (SoBS) as a way to bring May's deal back to Parliament.

Now the question is - will Corbyn stand aside for a Unity Government in order to allow a No Confidence motion to pass?

Blog Entries

Now the question is - will Corbyn stand aside for a Unity Government in order to allow a No Confidence motion to pass?
    I doubt it. He wants out of the EU to create his Hard Left Utopia - but as it stands he gets what he wants and Boris / the Tories get all the blame.

All he has to do is what he's done is the same thing as for the last c. 40 years: do nothing and say the same old same old.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Is Sinn Fein really looking all that bad now....

"The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Just think, if the Opposition had their arses in gear it wouldn't have mattered.

As I posted on facebook a few days ago, "They agreed to agree to do something."

It's also worth pointing out that this option was mooted by some Remainers/Soft Brexit Supporters (SoBS) as a way to bring May's deal back to Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I doubt it. He wants out of the EU to create his Hard Left Utopia - but as it stands he gets what he wants and Boris / the Tories get all the blame.

All he has to do is what he's done is the same thing as for the last c. 40 years: do nothing and say the same old same old.

I'm confused. I thought Corbyn wanted a vote of no confidence in order to trigger the formation of a unity government with himself as PM.
    Vitiate Man.

Blog Entries

I'm confused. I thought Corbyn wanted a vote of no confidence in order to trigger the formation of a unity government with himself as PM.
    I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he truly knows he is not someone that the MPs would actually back - after all, the papers and MPs have told him!

If he wanted a vote of no confidence why hasn't he held one?

No, on he drones and by ensuring that there is no realistic alternative of an Unity Government he will get out of the EU. Perhaps when the UK has difficulties afterwards eventually there will be a swing to give him the majority he needs for 5 years to... Well, wreck the country.

-

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Is Sinn Fein really looking all that bad now....

You mean actual terrorists?

Yes.

Good, we can tell him it's working.

Corbyn is a Hard Brexiteer, always has been.

Think about that.

I shall be bathing in the tears of remoaners come All Hallows Eve.

Mad bint.
    Last edited by InsaneApache; 09-02-2019 at 17:01.

Member thankful for this post:

whee-heee!

another GE incoming...

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    whee-heee!

another GE incoming...
    You just want to watch the World burn, don't you?

Well, I'm in Exeter, our local Labour MP isn't very popular with the Politburo - so he might not get the support.

Some tricksy stuff over this prorogation has come out, so it may depend if people want a popheaded liar with a penchant for philandering or Corbyn's antisemitic brand of hyper-socialism.

Members thankful for this post (2):

You just want to watch the World burn, don't you?

Well, I'm in Exeter, our local Labour MP isn't very popular with the Politburo - so he might not get the support.

Some tricksy stuff over this prorogation has come out, so it may depend if people want a popheaded liar with a penchant for philandering or Corbyn's antisemitic brand of hyper-socialism.
    I'll tolerate your perception of anti-semitism but the current Labour program is definitely not the most socialist in a hundred years, or even in fifty.

As for a snap election, Corbyn has his work cut out for him. Basically every poll in the past month or more has shown Conservatives with a commanding lead.
    Vitiate Man.

As for a snap election, Corbyn has his work cut out for him. Basically every poll in the past month or more has shown Conservatives with a commanding lead.
    Why

Page 103 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast