Poll: Who are you supporting?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: UK General Election 2017

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Re: UK General Election 2017

Diane Abbott

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Abbott is in one of the top 4 posts in the Labour shadow cabinet. Shadow home secretary to be precise, or interior ministry.

Edit: If Labour win, she'll be in charge of counter-terrorism.
    Last edited by Pannonian; 06-05-2017 at 23:01.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Yup, this is what the Labour party has descended into. I had considered holding my nose and voting Labour anyway, but after this reminder of how the Labour party is nothing more than Corbyn's personal cult nowadays, that's not going to be the case.
    It's the cult of Labour offering an actual alternative, I realise to a Blairite such as yourself to see the Labour party actually representing the working and middle classes must be quite galling, you know he doesn't even respect Rupert Murdoch?!but this is what the people want, not because they are brainwashed or unthinking. If they were they would have ever elected Cobyn just like the media told them.

Your real problem is the cult within the Labour party is finally being killed off, Blair's perversion of the Labour party is at its end.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    It's the cult of Labour offering an actual alternative, I realise to a Blairite such as yourself to see the Labour party actually representing the working and middle classes must be quite galling, you know he doesn't even respect Rupert Murdoch?!but this is what the people want, not because they are brainwashed or unthinking. If they were they would have ever elected Cobyn just like the media told them.

Your real problem is the cult within the Labour party is finally being killed off, Blair's perversion of the Labour party is at its end.
    Are you aware that one of the current Labour shadow ministers attributes her success in life to a programme began under Blair? Are you aware that, certainly in my lifetime, the biggest lifting of pensioners from poverty happened under the Blair government? Are you aware that, certainly in my lifetime, in real terms schools were better funded under the Blair/Brown governments than any other?

I'm sorry if I rate real achievements like the above rather higher than "a real alternative". What has Corbyn ever achieved in his career that compares with the above?

BTW, are you going to vote Labour on Wednesday as Diane Abbott urges everyone to do?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Point of order, latest polls still favour Conservative to win most seats and May still has a better approval rating than Corbyn. It's also worth pointing out that for all the bluster about Police numbers the London attackers were neutralised in 8 minutes. Failure to prevent the three recent attacks are as much the responsibility of MI5 as the Police and irrc MI5's capabilities have grown over the last seven years.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Point of order, latest polls still favour Conservative to win most seats and May still has a better approval rating than Corbyn. It's also worth pointing out that for all the bluster about Police numbers the London attackers were neutralised in 8 minutes. Failure to prevent the three recent attacks are as much the responsibility of MI5 as the Police and irrc MI5's capabilities have grown over the last seven years.
    Don't worry. Abbott will sort out that mess once she takes charge of the Home Office.

Depends if I can take a break from my highly important civic duty of helping Britain become a world leader in preventing tourism....

Populations have grown massively so you are only comparing them to governments with much smaller populations (and less resources) or the austerity enforcing Tory governments that have been in power since.... Hardly that impressive when you cut through the Blairite spin.

You can see what exactly what Corbyn is offering and that is why as a Blairite you will vote against it, representing the working and middle classes?! this isn't your Labour party anymore!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

I don't think anyone has said any different.

It is just all very impressive considering the media spin regarding having to get rid of him for the good of the party and a large section of MPs trying to take him down, it was all supposed to be a landslide, Labour wiped out, lesser politicians would crumbled long ago but Corbyn has actually managed to turn this into a contest.

Depends if I can take a break from my highly important civic duty of helping Britain become a world leader in preventing tourism....

Populations have grown massively so you are only comparing them to governments with much smaller populations (and less resources) or the austerity enforcing Tory governments that have been in power since.... Hardly that impressive when you cut through the Blairite spin.

You can see what exactly what Corbyn is offering and that is why as a Blairite you will vote against it, representing the working and middle classes?! this isn't your Labour party anymore!
    Someone can offer me a million quid. I'd look up their credentials to see where it's coming from, and what's the likelihood of them going through with it. What has Corbyn ever done in his career that compares with the achievements I listed? What are his credentials? Or do CVs not matter?

Has anyone else watched that Abbott interview?

Someone can offer me a million quid. I'd look up their credentials to see where it's coming from, and what's the likelihood of them going through with it. What has Corbyn ever done in his career that compares with the achievements I listed? What are his credentials? Or do CVs not matter?
    I think we've just discussed Blair's CV above, his biggest plus points seem to consist of being less worse than what came after him, which was an austerity enforcing Tory government..

Tell me when the impressive part starts...

Corbyn's credentials are his entire career, I realise to a Blairite this might seem strange but a principled man who cares for the working classes and middle classes and wouldn't sell his own grandmother to please Rupert Murdoch is a pretty damn attractive feature in a politician.

I think we've just discussed Blair's CV above, his biggest plus points seem to consist of being less worse than what came after him, which was an austerity enforcing Tory government..

Tell me when the impressive part starts...

Corbyn's credentials are his entire career, I realise to a Blairite this might seem strange but a principled man who cares for the working classes and middle classes and wouldn't sell his own grandmother to please Rupert Murdoch is a pretty damn attractive feature in a politician.
    Before Blair became Labour leader, he was shadow home secretary. A fairly impressive one as well. What offices has Corbyn held prior to becoming Labour leader?

Ahh yes principle, character or actual beliefs none of these things matter....

Well they would usually but Corbyn comes out looking a lot better than Blair so lets quickly move on from that.

No you see the real problem with Corbyn is he has principles and beliefs, so rather than work for the self serving Blair governments he continued to work for the people...

A black mark against Corbyn surely, to a Blairite, sure. To myself it is one of the best things about him.

Also whilst we are discussing CV I think its worth mentioning Tony Blair's huge hand in the mess the Middle East has been turned into today and the increased terrorism we suffer in the West.

That and the almost complete elimination of the Labour party in Scotland.

That along with countless other mistakes he made, quite frankly an empty CV would compare favourably let alone one such as Corbyn's which shows a man of real principle.

Ahh yes principle, character or actual beliefs none of these things matter....

Well they would usually but Corbyn comes out looking a lot better than Blair so lets quickly move on from that.

No you see the real problem with Corbyn is he has principles and beliefs, so rather than work for the self serving Blair governments he continued to work for the people...

A black mark against Corbyn surely, to a Blairite, sure. To myself it is one of the best things about him.
    What do you think of Diane Abbott as Home Secretary? Do you admire her for her principles and beliefs? Do you think she'll do a good job as Home Secretary?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I don't think anyone has said any different.

It is just all very impressive considering the media spin regarding having to get rid of him for the good of the party and a large section of MPs trying to take him down, it was all supposed to be a landslide, Labour wiped out, lesser politicians would crumbled long ago but Corbyn has actually managed to turn this into a contest.
    No, Theresa May screwed up - she's bad at elections, instead of defending their Conservative Social Care plans she did a U-Turn because she's unable to relate to ordinary people.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Corbyn believes he can contribute to the end of Nuclear War.

No, Theresa May screwed up - she's bad at elections, instead of defending their Conservative Social Care plans she did a U-Turn because she's unable to relate to ordinary people.

TBF, May's not just bad at elections, but she's been an abysmal minister and prime minister as well. She only looks good in comparison with the atrocity that is the Labour front bench (watch that Abbott view I linked to).

I'd say she's mediocre.

Hence six years in the same post - if she was good she'd have been moved, abysmal and she'd be fired.

Part of it is down to May part of it is down to Corbyn doing well and connecting with people.

Corbyn had ridiculous notions about helping end apartheid as well, other nations manage just fine without nuclear weapons. The fact you think the idea is absurd says more about you than it does Corbyn. I think we should stop wasting money on Trident as well.

What do you think of Diane Abbott as Home Secretary? Do you admire her for her principles and beliefs? Do you think she'll do a good job as Home Secretary?
    I prefer Caroline Lucas to her personally (as a for example) but realistically given that I don't actually get to pick my own cabinet her as home secretary or the woman who wants to make us a world leader in preventing tourism as prime minister....?

Not a tough choice. Well actually it is all about the policies for me really but politicians saying stupid things is entertaining I guess.....

Part of it is down to May part of it is down to Corbyn doing well and connecting with people.

Corbyn had ridiculous notions about helping end apartheid as well, other nations manage just fine without nuclear weapons. The fact you think the idea is absurd says more about you than it does Corbyn. I think we should stop wasting money on Trident as well.
    If possible, would you agree with selling it to the United States?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yes, let's become an actual vassal of the US, totally dependent on them for our security. Like the rest of the EU and France.

Member thankful for this post:

I prefer Caroline Lucas to her personally (as a for example) but realistically given that I don't actually get to pick my own cabinet her as home secretary or the woman who wants to make us a world leader in preventing tourism as prime minister....?

Not a tough choice. Well actually it is all about the policies for me really but politicians saying stupid things is entertaining I guess.....
    Corbyn is pro-Brexit as well. Moreso than May.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is really annoying me now, is it same for anyone else?

I am on my seventh letter from Theresa May telling me to vote Conservatives. One or two was fine, but I am now on my seventh. Thing is, I also have already voted and it certainly was not for her or her party anyway.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Yes, let's become an actual vassal of the US, totally dependent on them for our security. Like the rest of the EU and France.
    Not like we are actually paying the USA for Trident and they hold the keys for it, or anything. Given how it also runs Windows XP, only death it would bring would be a blue screen.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

The USA doesnt hold the keys to our nukes, they sold us the delivery system but have no control over our weaponry.

We also do not use windows XP on Trident subs but a robust custom retooling of the system, the actual missiles arent controlled by these systems.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anger over 'Star of David' symbol on Labour poster

A giant left-wing political banner in one of Britain’s biggest cities has been condemned as antisemitic for portraying Theresa May wearing Star of David earrings.

The banner, which was hung at the Bearpit roundabout in Bristol, depicted Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May facing each other, with positive slogans endorsing Jeremy Corbyn and negative statements about Theresa May’s policies.
    “It's even more worrying that the Bristol city council have given these views credence by allowing them to be shown in such public space such as The Bearpit, which is driven past by thousands of motorists a day”.

He condemned the banner as antisemitic, saying “the Magen David [Star of David] earrings are clearly implying that the Jews/Israel have hegemony over our government, which is a century old antisemitic trope.”

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

It couldn't just be Labour saying "she supports Israel, we are less supportive?" Has to go straight for anti-Semitism?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    It couldn't just be Labour saying "she supports Israel, we are less supportive?" Has to go straight for anti-Semitism?
    Well, it isn't Labour, it is the random person who did the poster. But yes, it is in relation to Balfour declaration and British Governments decision recently not to apologise to Palestine over it. Some on the left are up in arms over Israel like you can see with Idaho's posts, but I don't think it is attacking Jewish people per say, it is just an unfortunate trope that Israel=All Jews which leads to things looking like that. Gets more complicated when people hijack the trope to attack Jewish people too, they are the some of the worst.
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-07-2017 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Well, considering that Labour already has a reputation among British Jews for anti-semitism, especially among their far left that is the base of Corbyn's support.

Corbyn is pro-Brexit as well. Moreso than May.
    One thing you can't charge him with is that he is a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast