Thread: M2TW - Venice

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default M2TW - Venice

So, I'm planning to start a Venice campaign on either Normal or Hard. It's something that I wanted to try for some time because Venice has a fantastic unit roster (Venetian Archers + Stradiotai), flexible too, plus a great starting position.

Any tips for a Venice campaign before I launch some lanze spezzate (Broken Lances) into the neighbouring factions?

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: M2TW - Venice

I remember that Venice was tough but, since there are so many close by potential enemies, my grand plans always went up in smoke and I found myself improvising. There are two that seem more prone to attack IMO - Milan and Byzantine Empire. Hungary does but I think I remember it revolving around a single city. HRE often attacks too. Sicily only seems concerned about a single city. Sorry, can't remember their names but you'll figure it out fast enough (perhaps the hard (fun) way). I always play the short games as the longer games get boring to me - it's obvious at some point that you will eventually win but it keeps a dragging on and that changes strategy a bit since particular kingdoms must be eliminated to win. I generally like concentrating on the Byzantines while keeping a strong presence in the west with at least two armies (one in Venice, one to get behind the bridge in counterattack).

Well, everyone plays differently so, this may or may not be good for you (which means I'm not really helping :) ).
    Last edited by LordK9; 05-09-2017 at 02:31.

I played on Hard so far and I've been attacked from every side pretty much - Byzantines, Milan, Sicily, HRE... You name it, they came and attacked.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Venice on H/H was ridiculous - don't want to imagine what it was like on VH/VH.

Scaled back to N/N and it's a bit more decent but everyone still attacking on every side.

Proud

Been to:

Intense may be a good descriptor. At least Venice is hard to take as the enemy armies generally get assaulted on two sides (providing you have a defensive army dedicated to that). On the positive side, the islands are secure. It took me several tries to win with Venice (and that was on the normal setting).

Islands secure except maybe Iraklion because the Byzantines are always attacking me. Fleets are crucial - build a strong fleet, make it patrol around and you're relatively well defended.

On the plus side, take Milan and Genoa and you're relatively good to go on the Italian north part + Bologna.

Proud

Been to:

Yeah; for the most part, HRE let's you alone except for raids (small armies attacking towns) that are easily handled once their lone Italian city falls. Sicily will keep attacking if you own the southern city of northern Italy (which may be Bologna or Florence; I don't remember). I found that the easiest thing to do to neuter Sicily while I concentrate on the Byzantines is to take Palermo by sea. It's generally not defended well. I never could stick to a plan, though. Too many variable with Venice.

Those Elephants and Elephant Artillery are ridiculous. It's like a cheat almost.

Proud

Been to:

You mean the southern Mongols (Timur the Lame and company)? If so, I agree.
    Last edited by LordK9; 06-09-2017 at 05:41.

Yes, indeed.

One thing about playing M2TW - you always find new stuff!

Found some new mercenaries to play with and best of all - I didn't think Miccosukee and the Carribeans were in the game! I thought Fortaleza and Tlaxcala were the only New World cities.

Proud

Been to:

I don't remember much about the Americas - that was a late discovery for me. All I remember is that the advanced English archers could fight hand to hand with any of the native troops.

I play Venice for short time and I not know so much how to play with they