Thread: Archery

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Archery

Soo... anyone here a part-time Robin Hood, archer of Sherwood? (only the archery part)

MTW and M2TW have rekindled my interest in archery, particularly now that buying a bow is very easy and there's even copies of traditional longbows that are made from modern composite materials which makes it much easier for a newbie to store and take care of. Clearly you need other equipment (bracers? thumb rings?) but it's a growing sport, especially in the Olympic zone.

Anyone here practicing archery? Any tips to start off?

(I practiced archery before - but a long time ago)
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Archery

Ive always wanted to, never had the means. Seems like an expensive sport. I mean going to the local Renaissance fair and shooting some arrows is one thing, an actual interest in the sport I imagine takes some expendable cash.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Ive always wanted to, never had the means. Seems like an expensive sport. I mean going to the local Renaissance fair and shooting some arrows is one thing, an actual interest in the sport I imagine takes some expendable cash.
    Would somebody PLEASE usefully employ this fellow! Sheesh.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Would somebody PLEASE usefully employ this fellow! Sheesh.
    Who has the money for their own archery range?

Edit: wait I just described your average back yard. Ill go back to being quiet.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I do archery, it's great fun. Don't expect to be good at it very fast

It's really satisfying once you get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-31-2017 at 07:43.

It's not that expensive, Hooah. I found a traditional longbow type bow made out of modern materials for approximately 70 USD, which is not a lot at all. It's quite decent.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

A really good bow obviously costs a lot they are really complex, you need sadjustable sights, all sorts of stabelisers, but you only need that if you are really serious about it. But you can find a really decent bow for cheap
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-01-2017 at 07:35.

I want traditional longbows, English style, and maybe Eastern style composite bows but also traditional. Hence why my preferences are much more decent compared to the super expensive gear of modern archery.

Also - Japanese yumi bows!

Proud

Been to:

Got an awesome recurve, even got night-vision and laser-sight on it. I could buy it really cheap otherwise I would never had. I have a soft spot for really cool stuff, I am mostly just looking at it

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Well, if you don't have money for an archery range, do what I do: find a quite place away from civilization, and shoot there. Make sure of course you're well-protected: I have to contend with bears, wolves, etc.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I was wondering how to fashion one of those polyurethane foam targets - basically you build a block of foam I guess and you apply a target out of paper over it, using the foam to absorb the impact and making sure it's easy to extract after. (the arrow)

Proud

Been to:

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    Well, if you don't have money for an archery range, do what I do: find a quite place away from civilization, and shoot there. Make sure of course you're well-protected: I have to contend with bears, wolves, etc.
    I live in a Florida suburb. I am already "away from civilization."
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Finally did it - I bought a longbow!

Proud

Been to:

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Finally did it - I bought a longbow!
    And...? Where? How much? Really traditional in the sense of a long piece of yew that you string yourself? Hands and arms already bruised from practice?

Correct!

I bought a traditional longbow, not a yew one (yew longbows are very expensive) but made from rattan, a strong wood that is quite good for this thing. I have to string / restring it, it's insanely difficult to do so and the longbow is around 76" long (I believe 120 cms / 1.2 metres?).

Proud

Been to:

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Correct!

I bought a traditional longbow, not a yew one (yew longbows are very expensive) but made from rattan,
    Rattan? I think my grandmother had some chairs made from Rattan, similar to that
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Furniture.jpg

a strong wood that is quite good for this thing. I have to string / restring it, it's insanely difficult to do so and the longbow is around 76" long (I believe 120 cms / 1.2 metres?).
    Inches to centimetre? I remember something like 2,5...

According to the table here
    https://www.inches-to-cm.com/
    2,54 in to cm is right so 76" would be 193,04 cm or 1,9304 m - larger than me.

However that seems really huge. Are you sure about the 76"? Do you use some archaic form of Inch were you live? Is your second name Odysseus if you string such a monster?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWthM8pf-M
    Last edited by ConjurerDragon; 04-21-2019 at 07:18.

Correct - rattan is durable, flexible and makes great bows for beginners.

And yeah - my mistake, it's actually 1.93 metres! It's taller than me! And I'm sure about it, since it's etched on it 76" and side by side it's clearly taller than me. I love it though, and yeah, it's hard to pull. 40 pounds draw power!

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Many large cities have archery ranges.

Wooooo!!!

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by ConjurerDragon View Post
    Rattan? I think my grandmother had some chairs made from Rattan, similar to that
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Furniture.jpg

Inches to centimetre? I remember something like 2,5...

According to the table here
    https://www.inches-to-cm.com/
    2,54 in to cm is right so 76" would be 193,04 cm or 1,9304 m - larger than me.

However that seems really huge. Are you sure about the 76"? Do you use some archaic form of Inch were you live? Is your second name Odysseus if you string such a monster?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWthM8pf-M
    That's about correct for a historical English Longbow. Remember, however, that historically the English trained from about age 10 on up with progressively stronger bows to achieve the draw-weights of the classic Longbow. They also worked "inside" the bow. pushing with both arms and using the leg muscles as well.

Pushing inside the bow? As in, you push with your "holding" arm and then you draw the bow?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan View Post
    Pushing inside the bow? As in, you push with your "holding" arm and then you draw the bow?
    Sort of - if you watch a longbowman even today you'll see they start with the bow pointed downwards and bring it up, as they do so both arms come apart - rather than setting the angle and pulling back.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    Sort of - if you watch a longbowman even today you'll see they start with the bow pointed downwards and bring it up, as they do so both arms come apart - rather than setting the angle and pulling back.
    So I guess M2TW had the correct animation for longbowmen.

Armin Hirmer has a YouTube channel on archery and it's quite a very good watch.

Proud

Been to:

I was super into archery as a teen but I haven't really been involved with it since then. My bow is a hickory longbow with bamboo backing, so it's not based on any historical bow design but it's "traditional" in the sense that it's just a stick with a string on it. I've never been interested in compound or fiberglass bows, old-fashioned wooden bows are just cooler to me even though they don't perform as well as modern bows. One of these days I'm going to buy some arrow shafts and make some arrows so I can get back into archery again.

Since mine is a bamboo longbow as well, I always wondered how differne it is from a yew or something more traditional. Have to test it out.

Proud

Been to: