Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 162

Thread: Qatar vs all others

  1. #1
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,775

    Default Qatar vs all others

    It looks like a string of Arab states fell foul of Qatar to the extent of cutting all relations:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...over-terrorism
    Too harsh a reaction to a statement on the neccessity of dialogue with Iran?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    I wonder what this will do to the World Cup?
    Wooooo!!!

  3. #3
    Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    No longer in Albion
    Posts
    15,744
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    I wonder what this will do to the World Cup?
    Were my thoughts too.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" - Daryl Davis
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

  4. #4
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Should be boycotted anyway,it's graveyard

  5. #5

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    nvm delete
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 06-06-2017 at 00:41.

  6. #6
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,775

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Some people think it is an artificial scandal aimed at raising oil prices. Otherwise it was overdoing it on the part of Saudis and their lot.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 06-06-2017 at 10:24.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  7. #7
    Intifadah Member Drish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kebabylon
    Posts
    816

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."


    I only defended myself and the honor of my family - Nazanin

  8. #8
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    10,890

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    Regime change in Doha imminent, eh?
    Would it be change or just another "c'est le meme chose" sort of event?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom. -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  9. #9
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,775

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    And Al Jazeera is closed in Saudi Arabia (and other countries are to follow suit any time soon?)
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...rrorist-groups
    I wonder if it will eventually undermine Qatar's influence in the Arab world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  10. #10
    Intifadah Member Drish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kebabylon
    Posts
    816

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Would it be change or just another "c'est le meme chose" sort of event?
    In my humble opinion, if Saud gets a puppet in Doha, then quite a lot would change. Most of the mass media would be pro-Saudi, for one (like a while back when the emir in Doha chummed around with the Saudis), and most of the Islamic organizations around the world would suddenly find themselves bereft of any other benefactor, other than those who furthers the Saudi-aligned agenda.

    Let us see if it comes to that. In any case, they will want to beat Doha into submission, or at the very least, scare them away from any future interaction with Iran.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."


    I only defended myself and the honor of my family - Nazanin

  11. #11
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Slack Man Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, KF 9000 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    10,890

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    In my humble opinion, if Saud gets a puppet in Doha, then quite a lot would change. Most of the mass media would be pro-Saudi, for one (like a while back when the emir in Doha chummed around with the Saudis), and most of the Islamic organizations around the world would suddenly find themselves bereft of any other benefactor, other than those who furthers the Saudi-aligned agenda.

    Let us see if it comes to that. In any case, they will want to beat Doha into submission, or at the very least, scare them away from any future interaction with Iran.
    I have trouble with the current agenda of Iran and it's theocracy, so seeing Doha shift away from Iran's influence would be fine by me. Not happy that it would in furtherance of the Saud family, but I've had mixed feelings as to them for some time now.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom. -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  12. #12
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Tbis could just be a classic fake-news it seems

  13. #13
    Intifadah Member Drish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kebabylon
    Posts
    816

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Tbis could just be a classic fake-news it seems
    I really have to ask what you consider fake about this?
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."


    I only defended myself and the honor of my family - Nazanin

  14. #14
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,966

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    I really have to ask what you consider fake about this?
    It hasn't appeared on his social media feed.

    Members thankful for this post (2):



  15. #15
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    I really have to ask what you consider fake about this?
    Because it's really dangerous when it's genuine. I can also understand why tensions should be relieved after all that shit and the media means well in their own way. But this isn't the way it's deception
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-07-2017 at 23:56.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Exeter, England
    Posts
    6,421

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I have trouble with the current agenda of Iran and it's theocracy, so seeing Doha shift away from Iran's influence would be fine by me. Not happy that it would in furtherance of the Saud family, but I've had mixed feelings as to them for some time now.
    Qatar is mildly pro Saudi, in the Saudi-Iran axis. However the other Arab states have not forgiven it for allowing such a free press (free-ish) - and one that was seen as instrumental in the Arab spring uprisings.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

  17. #17
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,775

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Meanwhile in Qatar people seem to be taking active steps against possible food shortages.
    http://www.france24.com/en/20170605-...diplomatic-row
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  18. #18
    BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Member Furunculus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forever adrift
    Posts
    5,457

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    i've been reading articles for years describing how little Qatar liked using its oil wealth to fund a foriegn policy on the cheap via beardy chaps with strong moral views.

    now little Qatar is getting bitch-slapped by bigger neighbours in consequence of that foriegn 'policy'. oh well! #sadface
    Last edited by Furunculus; 06-08-2017 at 16:47.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

  19. #19
    Ni dieu ni matre! Senior Member a completely inoffensive name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    I live on the org, feeding off of what few thanks are tossed at my posts. It is up to you to make sure I don't starve.
    Posts
    8,354
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Good move by Trump. I didn't want Qatar as our vassal anyway.
    In all these papers we see a love of honest work, an aversion to shams, a caution in the enunciation of conclusions, a distrust of rash generalizations and speculations based on uncertain premises. He was never anxious to add one more guess on doubtful matters in the hope of hitting the truth, or what might pass as such for a time, but was always ready to take infinite pains in the most careful testing of every theory. With these qualities was united a modesty which forbade the pushing of his own claims and desired no reputation except the unsought tribute of competent judges.

  20. #20
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,775

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  21. #21
    Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    4,306

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i've been reading articles for years describing how little Qatar liked using its oil wealth to fund a foriegn policy on the cheap via beardy chaps with strong moral views.

    now little Qatar is getting bitch-slapped by bigger neighbours in consequence of that foriegn 'policy'. oh well! #sadface
    Interestingly enough, BBC diplomatic correspondent James Robbins disagrees:
    This is a region largely of absolute monarchs - kings or emirs - who have in common a very firm grip on politics at home to head off any dissent that could represent a threat to their individual regime survival.

    But the emir of Qatar pursues a series of policies that simply don't fit into the rigid orthodoxy expected by most of the others, notably Saudi Arabia, the superpower of Sunni Islam.

    His unconventional foreign policy is seen as a threat to Sunni solidarity, particularly because the emir and his ministers promote dialogue and a search for good relations with the rival regional superpower, Shia Muslim Iran.

    Saudi Arabia is deeply hostile to that approach, and now feels empowered to turn that hostility to action, in the certain knowledge that a new US president, Donald Trump, is at Saudi King Salman's side.
    According to him, the real reason is that Qatar isn't openly hostile to Iran, and tries to have an independent foreign policy instead of doing what Saudi Arabia says.

    Members thankful for this post (2):



  22. #22
    Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Exeter, England
    Posts
    6,421

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Yep. Don't believe the hype. This is Saudi tugging on the leashes across the region. It genuinely sees its neighbours as vassal states, and sees any independent action as alarming and dangerous. It has sold the line to Trump that they are the only Arabs to trust (and us foreign policy always likes a simple narrative).
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

    Member thankful for this post:

    Drish 


  23. #23
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,966

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Yep. Don't believe the hype. This is Saudi tugging on the leashes across the region. It genuinely sees its neighbours as vassal states, and sees any independent action as alarming and dangerous. It has sold the line to Trump that they are the only Arabs to trust (and us foreign policy always likes a simple narrative).
    The western crusaders are far less tight with the reins than the local hegemons, Saudi and Iran. Of the two, Iran is less bad, mainly because Saudi sponsors the worst abominations in the region. And both are worse than Israel, who but for their liberals and socialists are way below the standards of the west. The sooner we reduce our energy consumption so we no longer have to rely on these arseholes the better. I prefer to rely on Russia, and I think they're opportunistic, treacherous, imperialistic bastards - but at least they're relatively sane, unlike the middle east.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The western crusaders are far less tight with the reins than the local hegemons, Saudi and Iran. Of the two, Iran is less bad, mainly because Saudi sponsors the worst abominations in the region. And both are worse than Israel, who but for their liberals and socialists are way below the standards of the west. The sooner we reduce our energy consumption so we no longer have to rely on these arseholes the better. I prefer to rely on Russia, and I think they're opportunistic, treacherous, imperialistic bastards - but at least they're relatively sane, unlike the middle east.
    The thread topic is not related to your involvement. You keep rolling that tape and snapping back to the same lines. 3,000 of those posts must be you repeating yourself. You come off as unwell, sir.

    Stop cramming in your British-centric views onto every topic, it contributes nothing and we know your stance on this already.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Exeter, England
    Posts
    6,421

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
    The thread topic is not related to your involvement. You keep rolling that tape and snapping back to the same lines. 3,000 of those posts must be you repeating yourself. You come off as unwell, sir.

    Stop cramming in your British-centric views onto every topic, it contributes nothing and we know your stance on this already.
    He's on his way to being a self righteous right wing old man.

    Have you travelled much Pannonion?
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

  26. #26
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,966

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    He's on his way to being a self righteous right wing old man.

    Have you travelled much Pannonion?
    I've been around Europe and Asia.

  27. #27
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,172

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Judging from the disconnect between Tillerson and Trump, it looks to me like the Saudis manipulated Trump into giving them the go ahead for this during his visit. Had he consulted with Tillerson (or better yet Mattis), maybe he would have realized that blockading a country in a strategic location hosting 10K US military personnel might be a bad thing.

    A nice template for any future foreign presidential trips, throw a lavish bash and you can probably con him into doing anything for you.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'tais pas jouer des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux un taux plus lev que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  28. #28
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,966

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Judging from the disconnect between Tillerson and Trump, it looks to me like the Saudis manipulated Trump into giving them the go ahead for this during his visit. Had he consulted with Tillerson (or better yet Mattis), maybe he would have realized that blockading a country in a strategic location hosting 10K US military personnel might be a bad thing.

    A nice template for any future foreign presidential trips, throw a lavish bash and you can probably con him into doing anything for you.
    Read a story somewhere about the Chinese Communists and Nationalists chasing some millionaire's money to fund their war. The Nationalists gave a lavish bash with no expenses spared, while the Communists gave him a bowl of rice with salted vegetables. The millionaire opted for the Communists. Probably a proverbial story concocted by Mao's supporters, with shades of the tomb of Cyrus (supposedly sparsely fitted as befitting a warrior, but decidedly unbefitting archaeological evidence).

  29. #29
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,172

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Read a story somewhere about the Chinese Communists and Nationalists chasing some millionaire's money to fund their war. The Nationalists gave a lavish bash with no expenses spared, while the Communists gave him a bowl of rice with salted vegetables. The millionaire opted for the Communists. Probably a proverbial story concocted by Mao's supporters, with shades of the tomb of Cyrus (supposedly sparsely fitted as befitting a warrior, but decidedly unbefitting archaeological evidence).
    Well, the millionaire in the story probably wasn't a raging narcissist so...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'tais pas jouer des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux un taux plus lev que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  30. #30
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Qatar vs all others

    Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Judging from the disconnect between Tillerson and Trump, it looks to me like the Saudis manipulated Trump into giving them the go ahead for this during his visit. Had he consulted with Tillerson (or better yet Mattis), maybe he would have realized that blockading a country in a strategic location hosting 10K US military personnel might be a bad thing.

    A nice template for any future foreign presidential trips, throw a lavish bash and you can probably con him into doing anything for you.
    Didn't think of that, that really makes sense

    Have no pity for Qatar though, I hope everyone will boycot the WC there, building these stadiums is a nightmare for those doing it, total disregard for lives
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-10-2017 at 07:51.

    Member thankful for this post:

    Drish 


Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO